News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 30, 2012, 09:09:03 PM
Two instances of upper and lowercase letters trading places--how does this happen?  It's not button copy.  Demountable?

This reminds me of a certain sign that I was going to ask Scott to post, but I discovered that he just has in another thread.  Behold the capitalization errors...

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 30, 2012, 01:24:41 AM
Then there's this:

Takumi

^ The thing about the Z H Confair sign is that they have the right letters and just put them on there wrong!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on July 04, 2012, 06:13:24 PM
Couldn't they have just left out the word Center altogether and conveyed the same meaning?

then it would result in a real head-scratcher.  "Level 1 Trauma".  we'd be posting it in the "least explicable signs" next to "permitted vehicles prohibited" and "block mother area".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I just saw this one on GMSV today.  A backwards letter Q!

http://goo.gl/maps/gn3Tz
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

I was going to post this in "best of" until I got a good look at the photos and noticed a design faux pas:

A square OH 315 shield with Series D numerals?  That would be great!  Unfortunately, this appears to be a wide-format shield, squished (including the numerals) into square dimensions.  Contrary to what some may believe (including someone who recently "standardized" all the OH route marker images on Wikipedia) the correct wide OH route marker shape is not a simple stretched version of the correct square OH route marker shape.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ctsignguy

Quote from: vtk on August 05, 2012, 11:24:25 PM
I was going to post this in "best of" until I got a good look at the photos and noticed a design faux pas:

A square OH 315 shield with Series D numerals?  That would be great!  Unfortunately, this appears to be a wide-format shield, squished (including the numerals) into square dimensions.  Contrary to what some may believe (including someone who recently "standardized" all the OH route marker images on Wikipedia) the correct wide OH route marker shape is not a simple stretched version of the correct square OH route marker shape.

Where is that sign at? I want to get a look for myself, possibly after work this week.....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

vtk

Quote from: ctsignguy on August 06, 2012, 12:54:49 AM
Where is that sign at? I want to get a look for myself, possibly after work this week.....

In the median of Lane Ave EB approaching Kenny Rd.  And now I'm questioning why it says to go left; it was probably meant to be temporary, or only displayed during special-event traffic patterns or something...

Alps

Contrary to what some may believe (including someone who recently "standardized" all the OH route marker images on Wikipedia) the correct wide OH route marker shape is not a simple stretched version of the correct square OH route marker shape.
Okay, I'll bite. How does the correct wide shield differ from a stretched shield? Unlike Kentucky's "racetrack" ovals (two straightaways and two curves), there's no obvious solution here.

vtk

Quote from: Steve on August 06, 2012, 08:50:41 PM
Contrary to what some may believe (including someone who recently "standardized" all the OH route marker images on Wikipedia) the correct wide OH route marker shape is not a simple stretched version of the correct square OH route marker shape.
Okay, I'll bite. How does the correct wide shield differ from a stretched shield? Unlike Kentucky's "racetrack" ovals (two straightaways and two curves), there's no obvious solution here.

I think the most obvious difference is in the depiction of the Ohio River, about halfway between Cincinnati and Portsmouth: the wide version levels out horizontally for a few inches, wheras the square version descends monotonically for the same general region.  I'm not sure if the difference was intentional.  I may post a comparison based on my own interpretation of the OSDM trace-grid figures soon.

PurdueBill

I was looking at pictures from last Thursday and found an error that I didn't notice until looking at it tonight....the old S in SOUTH switcheroo with a lowercase s in a place name.....except this one isn't button copy letters of similar height.  It's a FHWA capital S and a Clearview lowercase s!

Ay caramba!  Makes the one I noted above on the button copy I-71 sign look like child's play.

ctsignguy

This is from my own collection...someone at the sign shop wasn't paying attention!

The goof

How it is SUPPOSED to look....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

ctsignguy

Quote from: vtk on August 06, 2012, 10:55:40 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 06, 2012, 08:50:41 PM

I think the most obvious difference is in the depiction of the Ohio River, about halfway between Cincinnati and Portsmouth: the wide version levels out horizontally for a few inches, wheras the square version descends monotonically for the same general region.  I'm not sure if the difference was intentional.  I may post a comparison based on my own interpretation of the OSDM trace-grid figures soon.

Like this?

Central Avenue

Rather than make a proper long arrow, they just horizontally stretched a shorter one:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Takumi

The tip of the arrow looks like it starts to curve upward a bit, too.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on August 07, 2012, 05:56:57 PM
Quote from: Takumi on August 07, 2012, 05:56:57 PM

That's to make sure you remember to step up when you get to the other curb.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quite a distorted ampersand on this sign in Tukwila:

Takumi

There were a couple of these at this interchange, at least one in each direction.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

national highway 1

Interesting placement of the WEST banner on this NV 172 trailblazer - notice that the WEST banner is an NDOT experiment in Clearview...
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Scott5114

I don't think that's Clearview. It looks more like a Nevada custom font, if anything.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Yup--it is a Nevada custom font and has been called "Public School Block" in MTR.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The High Plains Traveler

Does that postmile sign say that NV-172 begins at mile 1.35? That is, unless that's a separator rather than a "1" under the CL (Clark Co.) indicator and the sign is 0.35 miles from the beginning of the route. Even that would be quite a distance for a "BEGIN" marker to be placed.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

JREwing78

Quote from: roadfro on July 04, 2012, 04:22:01 AM
^^ The design error there is the "need" to advertise the fact that the hospital has a level 1 trauma center. I would argue most people don't even know what that really means... In an emergency, you're going to look for the nearest hospital period.

It's pretty consistently applied in Ohio, at least whenever the hospital has a "trauma center". I don't get the purpose myself; you're better off seeking the closest hospital and letting the doctors decide to move you if necessary. And, one would hope ambulance drivers and such would already know from experience which hospital to take you to.

Brandon

Bizarre font on the Blue Water Bridge.  Actually, they use three different fonts for speed limit signs.  Helvetica, FHWA, and this.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on August 11, 2012, 10:51:34 PM
Does that postmile sign say that NV-172 begins at mile 1.35? That is, unless that's a separator rather than a "1" under the CL (Clark Co.) indicator and the sign is 0.35 miles from the beginning of the route. Even that would be quite a distance for a "BEGIN" marker to be placed.
Begin West is the eastern end. Presumably the route is only 1.35 miles long in Clark County.

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 11, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
Yup--it is a Nevada custom font and has been called "Public School Block" in MTR.

what a horrid name for that font!  was "waste elimination facility" taken?

it's been around since the 50s.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.