News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

ColossalBlocks

They both act like cockroaches. Easy to kill, but they always come back unless you drop the Tsar bomb on them (and even then they still survive!).
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on January 14, 2018, 09:50:57 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2018, 09:40:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 14, 2018, 09:39:59 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 14, 2018, 08:33:44 PM
Is the voting closed?  I tried to vote and it said either the poll was locked, or I voted twice.  Considering I only today voted for the first time, it must be locked already.

The poll was left open indefinitely, intentionally.  You can edit your response, IIRC.

I can't edit mine.

Neither can I. I can delete the poll or reset the vote counts, but I can't revote

OK, all I can seem to do is to be able to add another response if I want.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

dvferyance

I think Kmart will be gone before the end of this year. I am really surprised it hasn't happened already. As far as Sears goes I could see them being around a couple more years. Given it's such an iconic American brand I could see some movement to try to save it somehow. It's really a shame it is a unique brand to other retailers too bad they had to merge with Kmart otherwise I think they would be doing somewhat better.

dvferyance

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 12, 2018, 10:57:32 PM
Sears never had a huge presence in Hampton Roads, the only ones I can remember are one in Greenbrier Mall (may have already closed), a Sears Auto in Newport News that closed years ago, and a 2-story location still inexplicably living out of the husk of the former Newmarket Fair Mall in Hampton.
As for KMart, he Big Kmart in Denbigh finally gave up the ghost in '13 or '14, as did the one in Hampton in 2016. The Super Kmart in Tabb was shrunken down to a "standard" size in ~2015 to make room for an expanded Kroger, leaving just three locations in the Tidewater (One in Williamsburg, the aforementioned Tabb location, and one in Greenbrier).

I can't imagine them lasting as an independent company much longer than 5 years or so, though I could see a few hangers-on locations survive longer than that as subsidies.
There was a Sears at Pembroke Mall on Va Beach Blvd. I remember going there our family used to vacation in Va Beach a lot growing up.

gonealookin

Reno has one mall-sized Sears, at Meadowood Mall a little south of the airport.  It's still open, but looking ahead to the next round of closings, plans have been filed with the city to subdivide the building into three smaller tenant spaces.  Looking at the planning document linked in the article, they aren't just carving out a couple of cubbyholes; all three spaces will be decent-sized.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/02/07/reno-sears-renovating-into-three-unknown-tenants-according-planning-document/313250002/

The nearest mall-sized Sears from there is in Roseville, CA, about 120 miles.

SectorZ

A Facebook page called "Dead and Dying Retail" has been pointing out that a lot of hardware sections of K-Mart stores located around the country have gone completely barren of all the Craftsman items they used to have. More than a few pics of near-empty aisles.

txstateends

There's only one Sears left in Dallas.  The most recent closing was one in north Dallas (was the oldest left in the metro) the middle of last year, with hardly a whimper much less any calls to save it.  A few remain in the suburbs.  There are (I think) 2 in Fort Worth.  None of them have likely had a renovation in years.

Kmart has been gone from north TX for years.

As long as Eddie thinks of the stores as real estate pawns and less as retailers, it's likely the remains don't have long to live.  I'd hate to guess... 5 years maybe?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on February 10, 2018, 11:58:36 AM
A Facebook page called "Dead and Dying Retail" has been pointing out that a lot of hardware sections of K-Mart stores located around the country have gone completely barren of all the Craftsman items they used to have. More than a few pics of near-empty aisles.

That may have to do with the fact that Sears sold off the brand. There's no reason for them to stock them anymore.

Life in Paradise

You just have to love the song and dance they put out in the press releases when they report their losses, or report closings.  They say they are working to get the right balance of stores and demand to basically have a successful operation.  I can safely say that after so many years of mismanagement, I know the answer  "0".  They no longer have anything that is special about either of the stores, except their rich history, which is truly history now.  Anything you want to get there, you can just as easily if not easier purchase online or places such as Walmart.  Please, please, please.....someone shoot this animal, it's been thrashing around way too long and it's been painful to watch.

Brandon

It's been 9 months since I posted this, and bankruptcy may be declared this very week.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/business/sears-time-running-out/index.html

I hate my predictions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2018, 02:11:33 PM
It's been 9 months since I posted this, and bankruptcy may be declared this very week.

I hate my predictions.

No word yet on which part of the Federal bankruptcy law (Chapter 11 reorganization, Chapter 7 liquidation, etc)?

Mike

PHLBOS

Quote from: mgk920 on October 10, 2018, 03:25:18 PM

I hate my predictions.

No word yet on which part of the Federal bankruptcy law (Chapter 11 reorganization, Chapter 7 liquidation, etc)?
The article seems to imply a Chapter 11 filing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Heh, I actually voted for 9 months. :evilgrin:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on October 10, 2018, 05:16:46 PM
Heh, I actually voted for 9 months. :evilgrin:

Well, that makes 2 of us.  :evilgrin:  I wonder who the third person was?  :hmmm:

US71

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 05:01:07 PM

I hate my predictions.

Based on what I've read, Lambert wants Chapter 11, but creditors want Chapter 7 . Is there anything left for Fast Eddie to skim off the top?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

It'll probably end up being Chapter 7. There's not much left for Sears to use as collateral.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on October 14, 2018, 01:47:55 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 05:01:07 PM

I hate my predictions.

Based on what I've read, Lambert wants Chapter 11, but creditors want Chapter 7 . Is there anything left for Fast Eddie to skim off the top?

I doubt it.  The best stores were sold (mostly to Seritage).  Craftsman has been sold.  Kenmore is being sold (or will be sold).  Die Hard could be sold.  But, that's it.  It's toast.

Flint1979

Lowe's has started to sell Craftsman too.

cl94

CNBC is reporting that Sears will likely file for bankruptcy tonight. At least 150 stores expected to close immediately.

txstateends

One time years ago during a job search, one of my sisters told me I should go apply at Sears.  "They'll always be around", or something like that.  Little did she know.  One time I'm glad I listened to the little voice telling me not to apply.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Max Rockatansky

Its time for them to go, this has been dragged out way too many years.  A last minute buyer is just prolong what ought to happen now.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2018, 11:20:43 PM
Its time for them to go, this has been dragged out way too many years.  A last minute buyer is just prolong what ought to happen now.
Amazon is the new Sears. Walmart blew Kmart out the water. Maybe if these stores studied statistics of what's popular like "Electronics"  & fast "quick"  service. They would have survived.

*Walmart is surviving because they are now putting their workers & stores first a little more* I Say this from experience of working in walmart in recent years. I know they were shitty back in the day. & sometimes they can be now. But they have turned around.*
iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on October 14, 2018, 11:30:08 PM
Amazon is the new Sears. Walmart blew Kmart out the water. Maybe if these stores studied statistics of what's popular like "Electronics"  & fast "quick"  service. They would have survived.

*Walmart is surviving because they are now putting their workers & stores first a little more* I Say this from experience of working in walmart in recent years. I know they were shitty back in the day. & sometimes they can be now. But they have turned around.*
iPhone

Irony there being Sears was a huge investor in Prodigy Online in the 80s/90s and was the first major retailer to have online shopping.  They were actually in that market about a decade and a half too soon which made it a failure.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2018, 11:39:05 PM

iPhone

Irony there being Sears was a huge investor in Prodigy Online in the 80s/90s and was the first major retailer to have online shopping.  They were actually in that market about a decade and a half too soon which made it a failure.
And thats the problem. Scared money don't make money. If sears would have taken the risk & not chickened out. They would have been a Walmart or amazon brand. But the old school is said to say over. A little bit will come back here & there. But people want technology & they want shit fast. The internet was scary at that time.  But if you don't take risks sometimes. How will you know you failed?

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on October 14, 2018, 11:41:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 14, 2018, 11:39:05 PM

iPhone

And thats the problem. Scared money don't make money. If sears would have taken the risk & not chickened out. They would have been a Walmart or amazon brand. But the old school is said to say over. A little bit will come back here & there. But people want technology & they want shit fast. The internet was scary at that time.  But if you don't take risks sometimes. How will you know you failed?

iPhone

You're aware wireless internet wasn't mainstream for about another decade by the time Sears divested?  That project bled money constantly no matter how hard Sears pushed it.  They even had a show case on Regis and Kathie Lee that went nowhere, there was a later Howard Stern plug that also went bubkus.  At the time we're talking dial-up internet and closed ISPs being the order of the day, speed definitely wasn't anywhere what we have today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.