News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: thenetwork on December 24, 2017, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on December 24, 2017, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on December 24, 2017, 02:31:21 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 23, 2017, 06:09:26 PM
There are a lot of abandoned Kmart's in the Flint area. I can think of about where 4 of them are off the top of my head and Genesee County only has one Kmart left and it's in Clio. There's one on Miller, one on Pierson, one on Dort Hwy., one on Saginaw in Grand Blanc and many others it's crazy that Flint, Michigan a city that still has around 90,000 people doesn't have a single Kmart.
The ones on Miller, Dort, and South Saginaw closed within the last several years. The Pierson one closed during their 2002 bankruptcy and there was one on North Saginaw in the Beecher area which closed prior to the bankruptcy.

Here is a link of former Kmarts in Michigan (which hasn't been updated in recent years): http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cactusbob2k2/kmart.html

Speaking of Flint, their population has dropped dramatically in the last 50-60 years. At one point, Flint was larger than Grand Rapids. Now, Flint Public Schools is down to one high school (although several other school districts serve small parts of the city of Flint).

Speaking of Grand Rapids, there aren't any Kmarts left in the immediate Grand Rapids area (the last two closed just before Christmas 2016) and there are only two left within 50 miles of Grand Rapids (Greenville and Hastings)

Flint, MI at one time possibly had two huge GM operations- Buick Assembly and an Engine Plant similar to Tonowanda, NY.   Correct me if wrong.   

They also had a big bus factory up there as well, IIRC.
Too many to name there were several GM plants in Flint.

Flint1979

Flint still has two high schools. Northwestern is still open as is Southwestern. Carman-Ainsworth serves Flint city students as well. Flint's population was larger than GR's for only one census 1960 which is when Flint was at it's peak. Grand Rapids still has roughly the same population it did in 1960.

Brandon

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 27, 2017, 09:18:01 AM
There are a lot of abandoned Kmart's in the Flint area. I can think of about where 4 of them are off the top of my head and Genesee County only has one Kmart left and it's in Clio. There's one on Miller, one on Pierson, one on Dort Hwy., one on Saginaw in Grand Blanc and many others it's crazy that Flint, Michigan a city that still has around 90,000 people doesn't have a single Kmart.
The ones on Miller, Dort, and South Saginaw closed within the last several years. The Pierson one closed during their 2002 bankruptcy and there was one on North Saginaw in the Beecher area which closed prior to the bankruptcy.

Here is a link of former Kmarts in Michigan (which hasn't been updated in recent years): http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cactusbob2k2/kmart.html

Speaking of Flint, their population has dropped dramatically in the last 50-60 years. At one point, Flint was larger than Grand Rapids. Now, Flint Public Schools is down to one high school (although several other school districts serve small parts of the city of Flint).

Speaking of Grand Rapids, there aren't any Kmarts left in the immediate Grand Rapids area (the last two closed just before Christmas 2016) and there are only two left within 50 miles of Grand Rapids (Greenville and Hastings)

Flint, MI at one time possibly had two huge GM operations- Buick Assembly and an Engine Plant similar to Tonowanda, NY.   Correct me if wrong.   

Flint was basically a GM company town.  It would rise with GM and fall with GM.  In fact, the decline of the US auto industry hit Flint the hardest, as it really was the decline of GM (Ford's and Chrysler's shares of the market didn't drop as much).  GM went from having over 50% of the market in 1962 to having a mere 17% today.  For the record, Ford was at 27% in 1962, 14.5% now; Chrysler was at 10% in 1962, 12.5% now.

https://knoema.com/floslle/top-vehicle-manufacturers-in-the-us-market-1961-2016
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2017, 12:05:27 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 27, 2017, 09:18:01 AM

Flint was basically a GM company town.  It would rise with GM and fall with GM.  In fact, the decline of the US auto industry hit Flint the hardest, as it really was the decline of GM (Ford's and Chrysler's shares of the market didn't drop as much).  GM went from having over 50% of the market in 1962 to having a mere 17% today.  For the record, Ford was at 27% in 1962, 14.5% now; Chrysler was at 10% in 1962, 12.5% now.

https://knoema.com/floslle/top-vehicle-manufacturers-in-the-us-market-1961-2016
Flint fell with GM no doubt. Flint is just a dying town with a decent downtown area but nobody really wants to be in Flint.

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

Flint1979

My favorite Flint area eatery continues to thrive though. Starlite Coney Island in Burton. I drive from Saginaw to eat there three times a week.

thenetwork

I'm willing to bet that another round of closures for Kmart/Sears should be coming in the next week or so.  We're due!

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on January 04, 2018, 02:24:23 PM
I'm willing to bet that another round of closures for Kmart/Sears should be coming in the next week or so.  We're due!

Well, there's a round of Macy's closures: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/04/macys-announces-job-cuts-7-new-store-closures/1002886001/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

busman_49

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/sears-is-closing-more-than-100-more-stores.html

cl94

Quote from: busman_49 on January 04, 2018, 04:34:04 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/sears-is-closing-more-than-100-more-stores.html

Beat me to posting it.

The Hicksville location has been on the chopping block for years. Only thing new is the official closing date. Store is supposedly falling apart and it's in a prime location on NY 106/107, so Sears will make a large amount of money from the property sale.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Cabot, Arkansas will be closing in April. That will leave Russellville as the last store in Arkansas.  I'd be willing to bet they don't see Christmas 2018.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jp the roadgeek

Looks like VT and NH each had their store presence cut in half with the Rutland and Rochester stores on the chopping block.  This will cut the number in New England down to 19 (9 in MA, 5 in ME, 3 in CT, 1 each in VT and NH). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kkt

Brandon

Here's the list: http://searsholdings.com/docs/010418-store-closing-list.pdf

They're leaving highly successful malls now such as Orland Square.  Orland should have an easy time filling the spot with something better.

And then there's this: http://fortune.com/2018/01/04/jcpenney-sears-appliances-2/

LM117

You're a wizard, Harry.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2018, 07:02:50 PM

They're leaving highly successful malls now such as Orland Square.  Orland should have an easy time filling the spot with something better.

And then there's this: http://fortune.com/2018/01/04/jcpenney-sears-appliances-2/
I can't believe that Sears location is closing. Orland Square has always done pretty well.

kkt

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 04, 2018, 07:09:43 PM

I can't believe that Sears location is closing. Orland Square has always done pretty well.

Have you been in there recently?  In the Sears store I was in last, there was hardly anything to buy.  Manufacturers and wholesalers will no longer extend Sears credit to put stock on the shelves.

Flint1979

Quote from: kkt on January 04, 2018, 07:12:21 PM

Have you been in there recently?  In the Sears store I was in last, there was hardly anything to buy.  Manufacturers and wholesalers will no longer extend Sears credit to put stock on the shelves.
I haven't been in there in about 3 years and it seemed pretty busy to me for a shopping mall and features quite a few stores. It seemed nicer to me than say Woodfield Mall.

kkt

The bigger they come, the harder they fall.

LM117

Two Sears locations that I'm surprised didn't make the latest shit-list is the one here in Danville Mall since there's usually nobody in there except for the employees and the other is a stand-alone store in Greenville, NC for the same reason.

The Sears in my old stomping grounds of Goldsboro, NC appears to still have some life left in it. I went to Berkeley Mall there last month and while it wasn't particularly busy, it wasn't abandoned the way they are in Danville and Greenville, though it's obviously seen better days where inventory is concerned.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on January 04, 2018, 07:12:21 PM

The mall (Orland Square) is alive and vibrant.  Sears there, not quite so much.  It might be an opening for the South Suburbs to gain a Nordstrom.

Flint1979

Lansing, Michigan has two major shopping malls. One on the eastern side of the metro called Meridian Mall and one on the western side of the metro called Lansing Mall. Neither mall has ever had a Sears store in it. There is only one Sears store in Lansing and it's located in between the two malls in an older shopping plaza called Frandor. I don't think that store has made the chopping block but it makes more sense to have Sears in this location in between the two malls rather than having a store at each mall.

1995hoo

I'm a little surprised the Sears at Landmark Mall in Alexandria isn't on the list. Since the Macy's closed a year or two ago, Sears is all that's left there. The mall is to be redeveloped at some point into a "town center,"  but it's taking a long time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 04, 2018, 08:15:47 PM
Lansing, Michigan has two major shopping malls. One on the eastern side of the metro called Meridian Mall and one on the western side of the metro called Lansing Mall. Neither mall has ever had a Sears store in it. There is only one Sears store in Lansing and it's located in between the two malls in an older shopping plaza called Frandor. I don't think that store has made the chopping block but it makes more sense to have Sears in this location in between the two malls rather than having a store at each mall.

Lansing Mall did lose its Macy's though.  I think the proximity of MSU to the Sears by Frandor (its never actually been part of Frandor, just a close shadow anchor) is what's keeping that Sears alive (for now).  Of the two, Meridian Mall's always been the nicer one.

ftballfan

It's a miracle how the Traverse City Sears manages to survive. They are in the Cherryland Center, which was de-malled not long after Grand Traverse Mall opened in the early 1990s. Cherryland also had a Kmart which closed last year. Speaking of Grand Traverse Mall, it's one of the few malls that still has all of its original anchors (if you count Hudson's/Marshall Fields/Macy's as one; their other anchors are JCPenney and Target).

Down to 13 Kmarts in Michigan with Greenville and Richmond on the chopping block. I'm surprised Greenville made it this long with Walmart and Meijer nearby (in fact, Meijer, which was founded in Greenville, is right across the road and Walmart is less than a half mile away from the Greenville Kmart)

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2018, 08:38:34 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 04, 2018, 08:15:47 PM

Lansing Mall did lose its Macy's though.  I think the proximity of MSU to the Sears by Frandor (its never actually been part of Frandor, just a close shadow anchor) is what's keeping that Sears alive (for now).  Of the two, Meridian Mall's always been the nicer one.
I know Lansing quite well. Meridian typically has the more upscale stores and has more stores and it's closer to MSU too so it doesn't do too bad. Lansing Mall though is in a somewhat rougher part of town and draws that crowd.  I think with the closing of the S. Cedar Kmart that Lansing is now Kmartless and the one in St. Johns closed too. I don't even consider them as in business anymore really but if I see one I'll stop and walk around inside it just to see what it looks like to be in a Kmart again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.