News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanis

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 07, 2018, 12:23:08 AM
Quote from: Nanis on May 06, 2018, 11:01:53 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 06, 2018, 03:48:28 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on May 06, 2018, 03:14:06 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 06, 2018, 01:05:26 PM
Quote from: Nanis on May 06, 2018, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 05, 2018, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: Nanis on May 05, 2018, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 21, 2018, 12:12:25 AM
This right here is perhaps the most outdated Kmart I have ever seen. I'm surprised that this store survives when I was in it there were maybe 3 people total inside the store that I saw. You should see the inside of this store.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6934381,-83.3904745,3a,19.3y,34.47h,88.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s71xEi736Nvtf-UIegEYOBA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D71xEi736Nvtf-UIegEYOBA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D69.30811%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0413876,-75.0572726,3a,37.5y,95.51h,93.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8nmN11kzXaNO8UPFHrxv5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 this one seems even more outdated to me

By the way, This K mart is in the Mayfair neighborhood in NE Philly. It used to be the Kmart that served everything south of the creek in the northeast. Ever since the one on Frankford Ave closed though, It serves the entire Northeast.

Sandwiched between two walmarts that are 7 miles away from each other, It's a miracle this one survived. also Both Walmarts are on the same road as this Kmart, to make matters worse
I see what you're talking about and found both Walmart's and there is also a Target store closer to the Kmart. I'm surprised that one lasted, wasn't there one on Kensington and Allegheny too?
The Kmart you are talking about was on Aramingo, near Westmoreland. I'm pretty sure there is a Walmart on Aramingo and Castor. The Kmart was right next to a Toys R Us.
That Kmart closed? I know the Pathmark next to it closed and of course Toys R Us will be closing. I think the Walmart your talking about is on Butler next to Lowe's right?
There's also Target and ShopRite in that area. Also kind of unusual for Walmart to have a location (they have at least three) inside Philadelphia city limits.
I believe there are as many as five inside Philly's city limits. There's the one off Christopher Columbus Blvd. right on the river and there is a Target there as well. Then the one mentioned off Aramingo. Two on Roosevelt. One off Knights Road in Philly Mills. Those are the only Walmart's in Philly I know of. It seemed kind of unusual for a store like Walmart to build inside an urban area. Meijer has opened two stores in Detroit and I know there are a few Walmart's in Chicago too.
There is also the one on Cheltenham, but that is right outside Philly
That one probably gets a lot of business from within the city limits too.
Even though I live in NE Philly, I have been to it and can confirm this statement. Another place that is far off that gets buissness from NW Philly is the Trader Joes on Old York. That one gets buissness from both NW Philly and NE Philly
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

thenetwork

The still-limping Sears store at Mesa Mall will have it's busiest parking lot traffic the next 2 weekends...

...The Carnies set up shop the next 2 weekends with the annual parking lot amusement park next to Sears!!!

The best thing to happen to Sears every year!

abefroman329

Quote from: thenetwork on May 08, 2018, 09:23:35 PM
The still-limping Sears store at Mesa Mall will have it's busiest parking lot traffic the next 2 weekends...

...The Carnies set up shop the next 2 weekends with the annual parking lot amusement park next to Sears!!!

When you want to buy a pair of dungarees and ride the Tilt-A-Whirl, but you only want to make one stop!

1995hoo

Quote from: thenetwork on May 08, 2018, 09:23:35 PM

Heh. The Sears at Landmark Mall in Alexandria is still open, though everything else in the mall is closed, and there's a carnival there each year too. But Landmark is going to see something far more interesting this summer:

Part of Wonder Woman 2 is to be filmed there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

In Florida Sears is doing better than Kmart, as they still get locations where Kmart does not.  The one in Florida Mall is still doing okay, but so is Macy's in the same mall and when I worked for Macy's two years ago, I found that they were in financial trouble that they had to pay sales people draw on commission (which means that your minimum wage rate had to get funded from future sales, which meant you never got your commission until after the pay periods wages were paid back) so this way it looks good on the books as those wages (despite being shitty to begin with) are covered in numbers and looks like they are operating payroll in the black.  So anything is possible.

It may look good but on the inside it could be hurting.  Heck look at Whataburger, who was doing well in Orlando, but they closed up their stores in this part of Florida, because the good we saw was not good in the books.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

I've been in Saginaw's Sears in Fashion Square Mall just to walk through the store and every time I'm in there it's always dead. Sears closed two other Tri-Cities locations one in Midland and one in Bay City within the last few years. I'm just wondering how long it'll be before the Saginaw Sears closes. Fashion Square Mall still has all three of their anchor stores left (Sears, Macy's and JCPenney) but has pockets of vacant storefronts.

The Sears that closed in Bay City the store was taken over half by Younker's second store in the mall and Ollie's Bargain Outlet. I've heard that Younker's is going to be closing so that'll leave half of the Sears vacancy vacant again. The Target store in the Bay City Mall still sits vacant and the Midland Mall still has JCPenney's and Sears old locations vacant. The next closest Sears to Saginaw is in Flint at Genesee Valley Mall. Lansing has always had only one Sears despite having two malls and having a JCPenney in both malls, Macy's closed their Lansing Mall location but still has a location in Meridian Mall.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 09, 2018, 12:52:47 PM
I've been in Saginaw's Sears in Fashion Square Mall just to walk through the store and every time I'm in there it's always dead. Sears closed two other Tri-Cities locations one in Midland and one in Bay City within the last few years. I'm just wondering how long it'll be before the Saginaw Sears closes. Fashion Square Mall still has all three of their anchor stores left (Sears, Macy's and JCPenney) but has pockets of vacant storefronts.

The Sears that closed in Bay City the store was taken over half by Younker's second store in the mall and Ollie's Bargain Outlet. I've heard that Younker's is going to be closing so that'll leave half of the Sears vacancy vacant again. The Target store in the Bay City Mall still sits vacant and the Midland Mall still has JCPenney's and Sears old locations vacant. The next closest Sears to Saginaw is in Flint at Genesee Valley Mall. Lansing has always had only one Sears despite having two malls and having a JCPenney in both malls, Macy's closed their Lansing Mall location but still has a location in Meridian Mall.
Midland Mall will be down to one anchor in the next couple of months: Target.
Also, the Lansing Sears is not in either of the two malls (it's in a strip mall by MSU).
RiverTown Crossings (the larger and newer mall in Grand Rapids) will likely have two anchors to fill soon (Younkers is in their Chapter 7 liquidation sale and they still have a Sears for now; the Woodland Sears closed last year).
Meridian Mall (the Lansing mall that's not in a rough area) is losing two anchors, as Younkers fills two of its five anchors (the others are JCPenney, Macy's, and Dick's Sporting Goods). Younkers also has a location in Lansing Mall, which will leave that mall with only JCPenney as a department store anchor (they do have T.J. Maxx and a movie theater).
Cherryland Center (a dead mall in TC) will likely lose both of its remaining anchors (Younkers is in Chapter 7 and the other anchor is Sears; they lost their Kmart last year).

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on May 09, 2018, 05:04:15 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 09, 2018, 12:52:47 PM

Midland Mall will be down to one anchor in the next couple of months: Target.
Also, the Lansing Sears is not in either of the two malls (it's in a strip mall by MSU).
RiverTown Crossings (the larger and newer mall in Grand Rapids) will likely have two anchors to fill soon (Younkers is in their Chapter 7 liquidation sale and they still have a Sears for now; the Woodland Sears closed last year).
Meridian Mall (the Lansing mall that's not in a rough area) is losing two anchors, as Younkers fills two of its five anchors (the others are JCPenney, Macy's, and Dick's Sporting Goods). Younkers also has a location in Lansing Mall, which will leave that mall with only JCPenney as a department store anchor (they do have T.J. Maxx and a movie theater).
Cherryland Center (a dead mall in TC) will likely lose both of its remaining anchors (Younkers is in Chapter 7 and the other anchor is Sears; they lost their Kmart last year).
Midland Mall and Bay City Towne Center are pretty dead to be honest about it. The Lansing Sears is in a stand alone building next to Frandor in between the two malls but closer to Meridian. Younkers really doesn't have that many locations and I don't think I've ever seen one outside of the Midwest. Lansing Mall though is active on weekends but otherwise is pretty dead I've always entered/exited that mall through T.J. Maxx. I'm surprised that Cherryland is still there, Grand Traverse Mall killed that place.

Nanis

I just realized the sears next to Roosevelt Mall closed. It was o the other side of Bustleton
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

ftballfan

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/05/14/hawaii-news/kailua-kona-kmart-to-close-in-august/

One of the last two remaining Kmarts in the state of Hawaii will be closing in August. The last one remaining is on Kauai (the forgotten major island)

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

abefroman329

I was in the Kmart in Valparaiso, IN yesterday and it was a sad state of affairs. The electronics section only consisted of a few aisles and catered to electronic several years old (I was looking for a case for my new iPhone 8 and they were selling 30-pin sync cables and cases for the 5/5S). The also had an aisle of appliances, mainly washes and dryers and chest freezers, possibly courtesy of Sears. Overall the store was bare and rundown and reminded me of a Big Lots or dollar store. They just got a Meijer in Valpo to go with the Walmart, I'd guess Kmart's days are numbered.

thenetwork

Sears is selling these stores in an online auction.Real Insight Marketplace

The properties are advertised as sale-and-leaseback deals, meaning Sears would make rent payments to the winning bidders to remain in the space. The following Sears stores are for sale:

Twelve Oaks Mall, Novi, Michigan

Great Northern Mall, North Olmsted, Ohio

SouthPark Mall, Strongsville, Ohio

These are just 3 of the Sears stores on this particular list that currently reside at still-healthy malls.  SouthPark is one of the newest malls on the list as it is only in it's early 20-somethings as far as age goes.  It will be curious to see if anybody wants to be a landlord to a tenant that could move out at a drop of a hat.

webny99

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 28, 2018, 05:30:49 PM
I'd guess Kmart's days are numbered.

Good guess.
That's why this thread (a) exists and (b) has over 650 replies.

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 10:49:00 PM

Good guess.

I meant that particular Kmart, not the chain in general.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 28, 2018, 10:56:15 PM

Good guess.

That's probably going to happen to the entire chain sooner or later. Like with Younker's closing all their stores I can see Sears and Kmart doing this as well.

webny99

Good guess.

Now that I read more closely (I'm a fast reader), I see that.
Even so, I quite enjoyed clipping your quote and turning it into a sweeping generalization. Because it is true in general, too  :)

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 11:21:27 PM
Good guess.
Now that I read more closely (I'm a fast reader), I see that.
Even so, I quite enjoyed clipping your quote and turning it into a sweeping generalization. Because it is true in general, too  :)
I'm a lot clearer and a lot more elegant when I'm not trying to write a post on my iPhone.

hbelkins

Every time I pass the Kmart in Somerset, Ky., it seems to be doing a pretty good business. I'm surprised that one hasn't gone under yet, but I guess it still draws enough of a crowd to remain profitable.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2018, 11:08:16 AM
Every time I pass the Kmart in Somerset, Ky., it seems to be doing a pretty good business. I'm surprised that one hasn't gone under yet, but I guess it still draws enough of a crowd to remain profitable.

I remember stopping at one somewhere in Indiana in 2013, along US 41 somewhere between Evansville and northwest Indiana, and it was also thriving.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 29, 2018, 11:38:52 AM

I remember stopping at one somewhere in Indiana in 2013, along US 41 somewhere between Evansville and northwest Indiana, and it was also thriving.

I'm not terrible sure if there's much rhyme or reason as to when they decide which stores to close.  Maybe it's something well beyond what is in the public eye, such as lease or mortgage agreements, or negotiations with landlords.

kkt

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 29, 2018, 11:59:23 AM

I'm not terrible sure if there's much rhyme or reason as to when they decide which stores to close.  Maybe it's something well beyond what is in the public eye, such as lease or mortgage agreements, or negotiations with landlords.

I expect that's the case.  Their sales are pretty much awful everywhere.  Each store may have lease agreements that make it better to keep open than to close, even if it's losing money, and each store will take administrative staff to see if it's possible to back out of leases, lay off employees, etc., so they can't do them all at once.  However it will happen, and sooner rather than later.

Life in Paradise

I don't think I've stopped in at any K-Mart or Sears in the past decade in which I didn't feel that I was in a way outdated store at the time (70s or 80s style).  How did anyone ever think they were going to convince anyone that they were trying to update their stores and model to be relevant?  Even the smoke and mirrors were poisonous and cracked.

Flint1979

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 30, 2018, 11:29:02 AM
I don't think I've stopped in at any K-Mart or Sears in the past decade in which I didn't feel that I was in a way outdated store at the time (70s or 80s style).  How did anyone ever think they were going to convince anyone that they were trying to update their stores and model to be relevant?  Even the smoke and mirrors were poisonous and cracked.
That's how I felt when I walked into the Kmart in Waterford, Michigan. I knew it was an outdated store just from looking at the outside of the building but once I got inside I thought seriously this is a Kmart? It looked like I was in a building out of the 1940's that hasn't been updated since and I'm not making this up. Next time I get in that area if I'm looking for something to do I'll take pics of this Kmart if it's not on the chopping block of the next round of Kmart's to close. I'm with you too every Kmart I've been in over the course of the last decade or so has been very outdated and every Kmart seems to be the same way too unless they took over for another store but the buildings that were built to be Kmart's the typical Kmart looking building is very outdated. My closest Kmart is in Midland and there is also one in Clio and the reason the Waterford store hangs on is because it's quite a distance from the nearest Walmart, Meijer and Target, the one in Clio is right next to I-75 across I-75 from a Walmart and there's a Meijer in Birch Run about 5 miles north so I don't see how this Kmart hangs on with a Walmart across I-75 from there.

Flint1979

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 29, 2018, 11:59:23 AM

I know this isn't Kmart but a Kroger store in my town closed due to the landlord not wanting to do the updates that Kroger wanted to do and now the shopping plaza that the Kroger store was located in (use to have a Kmart in the same plaza) only has a thrift store and a baseball batting cage. Kroger closed the store last November and last year put money into expanding another location about 2 miles away. Kmart on the other end of the plaza about 4 years ago in the middle of the winter the roof collapsed and Kmart closed the store for good, it happened when the store was closed in the middle of the night and the abandoned Kmart sits behind an abandoned bank building that hasn't been used in over 30 years and just sits there and continues to rot right on M-46.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.