News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-20 Midland / Odessa expansion project

Started by Chris, April 02, 2019, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

TxDOT plans to expand I-20 through the Midland / Odessa area to a six lane freeway with frontage roads being converted to one-way operations throughout the corridor.

The project cost is estimated at $ 770 million, with around half of that being for I-20 itself and the rest for frontage roads and interchange reconfiguration.

Schematics can be found here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/odessa/032519.html

I've browsed through the schematics, they plan to reconstruct many interchanges, but there won't be any grand freeway-to-freeway interchanges with direct connectors to the loop roads of Midland and Odessa.

(click to enlarge):

Bobby5280

Most of the loop roads in the Midland-Odessa area are a mash-up of freeway and upgrade-able 2 lane or 4-lane expressways (some made as frontage roads with blank medians, other parts with a decent amount of open ROW).

Loop 250 and I-20 in Midland is the only one right now that would be worth turning into a directional freeway to freeway T interchange. Loop 250 and Texas 191 in Midland would also by worthy of upgrading into a directional T interchange. But that would be a tight squeeze with the huge new H.E.B. grocery store and other commercial development right on the corners where the flyovers would be built.

DJStephens

It's surely a large enough metro by now, to warrant some 3di designations.  Have no idea what the aversion is.

sparker

Quote from: DJStephens on April 03, 2019, 09:33:15 PM
It's surely a large enough metro by now, to warrant some 3di designations.  Have no idea what the aversion is.

Now that there isn't any more chargeable mileage to garner a 90% Fed share, it's likely an aversion to spending money.  And right now M/O attention, as far as new highways are concerned, are primarily focused on getting the I-14 corridor to terminate in their metro area -- and if it were decided to send I-27 their way out of Lubbock, they'd certainly latch on to that as well.  Just upgrading one of their loops to Interstate standards wouldn't draw the sort of attention that a new trunk route would.  They've gotten along without a 3di for 60+ years -- they seem to have bigger fish to fry! 

froggie

QuoteIt's surely a large enough metro by now, to warrant some 3di designations.  Have no idea what the aversion is.

They have I-20.  No real need for 3dis, in addition to what sparker noted about "chargeable mileage".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.