News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Website for Road Construction

Started by djsinco, May 23, 2013, 02:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsinco

I am driving from CO to upstate NY in a couple of weeks. Usually I take these road trips in the shoulder season or winter, but not this time.

Does anyone know of a website that displays a map showing all current interstate/major highway road construction projects and status?

I could not find much with a quick Google search.

If this does not exist, it should!

I can take 76/80/90, or 70/71/76 and some state highways to get to where I need to be.

Any input is appreciated...

3 million miles and counting

vdeane

I don't know of a national listing, but I believe the 511 NY site includes construction projects.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

djsinco

Thanks, but I am looking for 1 stop shopping. Traveling through 8 states, it would be great to be able to view the number of projects in process and real-time impact on travel times.

Google offers pretty good info on their maps or navigation programs, and they have the resources to put it all together. Maybe I should suggest it to them.

Having driven 3 million + miles in my time, I know as well as anyone how negatively road work can impact a schedule.

Since pretty much everything is on the web, I am not done looking, or listening, yet!

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on May 23, 2013, 04:49:44 PM
3 million + miles

:wow:

and I thought Jeff Royston, at "about 1.2 or so" had done a lot!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

djsinco

I drove coast to coast for just over 15 years. Back in the 1980's and '90's we had some tough schedules, hauling perishables and high value loads. 160,000 mile per year was about average for me. Like everything else, worked harder for less pay than the current wages. People frequently ask if it was "fun." I really enjoyed the first 5 years or so, tolerated the second five, and became sick of having no life in the third five. It was the greatest time I ever hated so much.

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on May 23, 2013, 05:10:48 PM
I drove coast to coast for just over 15 years. Back in the 1980's and '90's we had some tough schedules, hauling perishables and high value loads. 160,000 mile per year was about average for me. Like everything else, worked harder for less pay than the current wages. People frequently ask if it was "fun." I really enjoyed the first 5 years or so, tolerated the second five, and became sick of having no life in the third five. It was the greatest time I ever hated so much.

160K/year works out to about 800 miles per day, 200 days per year.  or 500/320.  seems within the bounds of reason. 

I would get astonishingly bored by about the tenth time down any given road.  I've driven I-5 between San Diego and I-580 to the Bay Area so many times now that I would not mind if I never had to drive it again.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

djsinco

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 23, 2013, 05:17:11 PM
Quote from: djsinco on May 23, 2013, 05:10:48 PM

160K/year works out to about 800 miles per day, 200 days per year.  or 500/320.  seems within the bounds of reason. 

I would get astonishingly bored by about the tenth time down any given road.  I've driven I-5 between San Diego and I-580 to the Bay Area so many times now that I would not mind if I never had to drive it again.
The highways all look pretty much the same at night, when I did the bulk of my driving... :spin:

You wouldn't believe the entertainment system I had rigged up in my truck  -  long before the days of "in-motion" DirecTV; I had an antenna that would hold a strong TV signal 60 miles or so either side of a strong TV signal, as well as a VCR and tons of content recorded by 2 other VCR's at home. I sure wish, however, that satellite radio had come along 20 years earlier. I used to be forced to keep up with the pork belly future prices on a daily basis by default.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.