News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemiCRZ

Quote from: formulanone on May 09, 2024, 04:00:35 PM
Quote from: MoiraPrime on May 09, 2024, 01:03:25 PMThe saddest part was that Jackson had the worst roads by far. We went up US 61 at Vicksburg and MS 1 around Greenville and you get the idea... the roads in the delta were fine... in Jackson though the westbound roadway of I-20 is some of the worst road I've ever been on.

There's some really odd dips and camber changes in the road around Jackson which I suppose is attributable to the Yazoo Clay soil? Seems to be a problem unique to the area; there's localized places in the US with just plain bad roads or a lack of immediate maintenance, but nothing quite like that.

The clay is a factor, but the more attributable answer is simply forced neglect. Jackson and surrounding Hinds County is a deep blue pocket of Democratic voters, with leadership of both of those jurisdictions regularly clashing with the deep red state government. Mississippi's state government commonly paints fabricated conditions within Jackson as justification for state takeover of various things (see the JXN water crisis).

The conditions of roads within Jackson and Hinds County are another way that state government can paint the view that Jackson leadership lacks the ability to lead. The State of Mississippi owns over half of the property within Jackson, but it is all tax-except and the state refuses to negotiate a payment-in-lieu of taxes model that most other state governments do to help support Jackson's administration of city services.

Go look at the amount of money that MDOT spends in the Jackson suburbs to the north in Madison County and Rankin County, vs. what MDOT does in Hinds County.

It's all about controlling the public and the voter's perception of Jackson, and how to make the quality of life in Jackson seem worse compared to the wealthier suburbs (Madison, Brandon, Flowood, etc.)
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.