Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 46 (CA 99 west to US 101)

(1/6) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
Did five different routes today starting with CA 46 west from CA 99 to US 101.  I put together the photo album tonight, I should have some sort of extended US 466 blog post up this weekend:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyQCkv9

nexus73:
Seeing the expressway segments makes me wonder if more will be added to 46?  Does the traffic warrant such in your opinion Max?  I found it interesting to cross over the hills between the San Joaquin Valley and Paso Robles in these pix since there did not appear to be a whole lot of curves and steep grades.  Having never driven the route before, I always wondered about the lay of the land over there. 

As always, thank you for being my eyes Max.  I always do enjoy your compilations of photos and the videos you create!

Rick

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: nexus73 on April 05, 2018, 12:32:31 PM ---Seeing the expressway segments makes me wonder if more will be added to 46?  Does the traffic warrant such in your opinion Max?  I found it interesting to cross over the hills between the San Joaquin Valley and Paso Robles in these pix since there did not appear to be a whole lot of curves and steep grades.  Having never driven the route before, I always wondered about the lay of the land over there. 

As always, thank you for being my eyes Max.  I always do enjoy your compilations of photos and the videos you create!

Rick

--- End quote ---

My personal opinion is it ought to be an Expressway all the way to 99.  There is heavy truck traffic along the entirety of 46 and it’s definitely the most popular crossing to the coast north to 152.   The grade is definitely something that would allow for four lanes but I think the bigger issue would be the section east of I-5. 

ranger5830:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2018, 12:36:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: nexus73 on April 05, 2018, 12:32:31 PM ---Seeing the expressway segments makes me wonder if more will be added to 46?  Does the traffic warrant such in your opinion Max?  I found it interesting to cross over the hills between the San Joaquin Valley and Paso Robles in these pix since there did not appear to be a whole lot of curves and steep grades.  Having never driven the route before, I always wondered about the lay of the land over there. 

Rick

--- End quote ---

My personal opinion is it ought to be an Expressway all the way to 99.  There is heavy truck traffic along the entirety of 46 and it’s definitely the most popular crossing to the coast north to 152.   The grade is definitely something that would allow for four lanes but I think the bigger issue would be the section east of I-5. 

--- End quote ---

While it would be nice if the entire length of the road was an expressway, I don't believe it is really necessary as there are already five routes one can take to get from Bakersfield to Lost Hills, from north to south 46, Lerdo Hwy, 7th Standard Rd, 58, and Stockdale Hwy.  Given the expense of either bypassing or upgrading the highway through Wasco, I think it is not needed.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: ranger5830 on April 05, 2018, 07:09:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2018, 12:36:55 PM ---

Rick

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

While it would be nice if the entire length of the road was an expressway, I don't believe it is really necessary as there are already five routes one can take to get from Bakersfield to Lost Hills, from north to south 46, Lerdo Hwy, 7th Standard Rd, 58, and Stockdale Hwy.  Given the expense of either bypassing or upgrading the highway through Wasco, I think it is not needed.

--- End quote ---

It will probably be an easier jog once the Centennial Corridor is completed and 58 is realigned for folks out of Bakersfield.  That rail crossing in Wasco where 43 multiplexes along probably would kill any prospect given how much money it would take to expand the road under the rail overpass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version