News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Newburyport, Mass area meet - Fall 2019

Started by Dougtone, February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Same.  I'm still perfectly willing to drive 8-9 hours in a day (which works out to 400-650 miles, depending on whether they're on interstates or local roads), but my appetite for having a 3-4 hour long drive home from a roadmeet has gotten less over the years.  Not to mention that staying over allows me to clinch a ton of things in the area that otherwise wouldn't be as convenient to get.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

The meet itinerary is ready for viewing. I'll make some copies for the meet, but please, feel free to check out the PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of5x0e09y7mydei/newburyport-converted.pdf?dl=0

Also, for anyone on the fence about going to the meet or not, please let me know by Thursday, October 24, so I can get an accurate head count.

Dougtone

I should also point out that I'm anticipating that we'll want to spend quite some time at the abandoned I-95 and at the Chain Bridge.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Dougtone on October 15, 2019, 11:12:41 PM
Also, for anyone on the fence about going to the meet or not, please let me know by Thursday, October 24, so I can get an accurate head count.

I'm probably going, but I still need to find someone to pick me up; the bus takes about 2 hours to get there.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on October 16, 2019, 07:19:23 AM
I'm probably going, but I still need to find someone to pick me up; the bus takes about 2 hours to get there.
Two things:

1.  (for Doug) I'm definitely going.  I booked a place in Salem, NH to stay for Friday & Saturday night roughly 2 months ago.

2.  (for 1) I will send you a PM.  I may be able to give you a ride.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadwaywiz95

For those of you unable to attend or those seeking to assist in causing trouble on *live* TV, a live stream of this meet's tour has been  prepared and will be available here: (Exact start time subject to change on the day of...)

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

signalman

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 16, 2019, 10:09:19 AM
For those of you unable to attend or those seeking to assist in causing trouble on *live* TV, a live stream of this meet's tour has been  prepared
I'd like to be involved in the latter.

Brandon

I'll be there.  Think I already marked "Going" on Facebook.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

okroads

The meet itinerary is ready for viewing. I'll make some copies for the meet, but please, feel free to check out the PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of5x0e09y7mydei/newburyport-converted.pdf?dl=0

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend due to work commitments keeping me in Columbus.

signalman

Quote from: Brandon on October 16, 2019, 11:42:18 AM
I'll be there.  Think I already marked "Going" on Facebook.
Nope.  You're still marked as interested on FB.  Glad to hear that you're coming though.

cpzilliacus

Sorry I cannot attend - not because of the conflict with the VDOT TIM event in Fairfax, but because I do not wish to travel too far from my Dad right now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Unfortunately I can't make it to the meet, but I am currently passing there on a weekly basis for work commitments so I will stop in to see the sights in the near future. As for travel, well I just worked a full day and drove 5 hours back home, and I don't mind one bit. Maybe I'm not aging.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on October 16, 2019, 11:51:59 PM
As for travel, well I just worked a full day and drove 5 hours back home, and I don't mind one bit.

Did you get paid for travel time? That can certainly motivate one to feel young.  :biggrin:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Not RSVPing to the public Facebook event, but I shall be there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll be there (eventually)
How long will lunch be? Looks like it'll be 3 1/2 to 4 drive for me, Saturday morning, from Albany to Newburyport for me. So, I expect to be the last one there.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dougtone

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 17, 2019, 11:13:30 PM
I'll be there (eventually)
How long will lunch be? Looks like it'll be 3 1/2 to 4 drive for me, Saturday morning, from Albany to Newburyport for me. So, I expect to be the last one there.

I'm anticipating about an hour/hour and a half for lunch. Counter service should make things a bit faster in terms of ordering or payment, but I still suspect it will take time to prepare all of our orders. There's a few of us who are coming from the Albany area to the meet, myself included, but I am planning to stay overnight on Friday a couple of hours from Newburyport.

cl94

What Doug said. Unless I decide to use up another reward night to spend Friday Night in Massachusetts (tempting), I'll be coming from Albany that morning (and probably leaving well before dawn so I can actually clinch things on the way). The Goog says 3.5 hours, but you can probably do it in closer to 3 with how people in Massachusetts drive.

I've found that counter service works well for meets as long as there's seating for everyone. Often much faster, as they're not trying to get everyone's food out at the same time and payment issues won't exist. I'm personally looking forward to having a MA-style roast beef sandwich.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

Between the tables and booths at Famous Pizza, I'd estimate that there's seating for about 40-45 normal size people. Parking may be a concern, as the parking lot may not accommodate everyone in attendance, but I plan on parking on the side street (Ferry Road) to help alleviate that a bit.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on October 17, 2019, 09:28:28 PM
FYI, Facebook no longer shows event RSVPs for public events to people you aren't friends with.  Not even for other people going to the event.  This actually created a problem for me where I can't tell who I've met in person and who I haven't for the purpose of responding to Facebook friend requests any more (or find out who you'll get to meet in person for the first time at an upcoming meet, etc.).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 01:08:54 PM
FYI, Facebook no longer shows event RSVPs for public events to people you aren't friends with.  Not even for other people going to the event.  This actually created a problem for me where I can't tell who I've met in person and who I haven't for the purpose of responding to Facebook friend requests any more (or find out who you'll get to meet in person for the first time at an upcoming meet, etc.).

On my end, I only have not RSVPed to the Facebook event because I have been practically avoiding the site.  Of course, I thought you could still RSVP to a public event if you are not friends with the event organizer (as I do not think I am in this case).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 18, 2019, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 01:08:54 PM

On my end, I only have not RSVPed to the Facebook event because I have been practically avoiding the site.  Of course, I thought you could still RSVP to a public event if you are not friends with the event organizer (as I do not think I am in this case).

Or just show up, like I did to Jason Ilyes's Central PA meet last spring.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 03, 2019, 06:48:30 AM
I am currently planning to come to this meet, but I have not been great with myself planning things lately.  I will hopefully work on my trip plans in the next few days.

I considered this post as my RSVP on here that I am coming in case I confused anyone.  I definitely am not a fan of just showing up to things.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Of course, I thought you could still RSVP to a public event if you are not friends with the event organizer (as I do not think I am in this case).
I would hope that Facebook has an exception for event organizers, but as I haven't organized an event in years, I wouldn't know.

froggie

Change on my end:  I got scheduled for that afternoon, so I will not be attending.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2019, 08:43:32 PM
Of course, I thought you could still RSVP to a public event if you are not friends with the event organizer (as I do not think I am in this case).
I would hope that Facebook has an exception for event organizers, but as I haven't organized an event in years, I wouldn't know.
Maybe not. Checking the event page for "my" roadmeet (in two weeks). All the names listed are FB friends. <shrugs>

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.