Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 37

<< < (2/3) > >>

skluth:
I’m fine with an elevated causeway. You see them all over Southern Louisiana and the Mid-Atlantic region. I’m sure elsewhere too. They allow wildlife to live relatively isolated and still allow traffic to flow.

I’d be tempted to take advantage of the shallow water in the bay and move the highway to a causeway from Black Point to Mare Island. The road from Black Point to Sears Point would still be kept, but the bridge and remaining highway from Sears Point to Mare Island could be eliminated.

A good example where this was very effective is VA 164 in Portsmouth VA. It once went through the Port Norfolk subdivision. It now speedily bypasses everything, and both drivers and local residents are happy with the results.

I’m not sure, but relocating the road may also be cheaper than rebuilding it.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: skluth on January 12, 2020, 09:12:37 AM ---I’m fine with an elevated causeway. You see them all over Southern Louisiana and the Mid-Atlantic region. I’m sure elsewhere too. They allow wildlife to live relatively isolated and still allow traffic to flow.

I’d be tempted to take advantage of the shallow water in the bay and move the highway to a causeway from Black Point to Mare Island. The road from Black Point to Sears Point would still be kept, but the bridge and remaining highway from Sears Point to Mare Island could be eliminated.

A good example where this was very effective is VA 164 in Portsmouth VA. It once went through the Port Norfolk subdivision. It now speedily bypasses everything, and both drivers and local residents are happy with the results.

I’m not sure, but relocating the road may also be cheaper than rebuilding it.

--- End quote ---

A good example I’m familiar with is US 41 on the Tamiami Trail being relocated partially onto a Viaduct near FL 997.  Said project apparently will return much of then natural flow of the Everglades southward towards Caps Sable.  I see no reason why a viaduct on 37 wouldn’t have a similar effect. 

Plutonic Panda:
Update: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/sr-37-will-be-raised-by-30-ft-to-combat-future-floods/62470

The Ghostbuster:
I’ve heard about this proposal, though I am skeptical whether it will be constructed. How likely is it that CA 37 will become a toll road, which I believe has also been discussed?

heynow415:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 19, 2023, 07:59:02 PM ---I’ve heard about this proposal, though I am skeptical whether it will be constructed. How likely is it that CA 37 will become a toll road, which I believe has also been discussed?

--- End quote ---

This bridge will certainly be constructed in one form or another - it's been through design, is going through environmental clearance, and is funded.  Whether the rest of 37 gets raised/widened remains to be seen, but the toll road option is seen as the only real way to fund what will be a several $B project.  The Novato Creek bridge replacement is definitely needed now.  The creek channel is too narrow and the current bridge is too low with structural piles in the creek channel which catches debris washing downstream and creates a dam which causes the water to back up and then overtop adjacent levees.  This has resulted in the closure of the highway, a key east-west link in the North Bay, for up to three weeks in some heavy rain years.  There is a parallel railroad trestle immediately south of this bridge which is an even worse contributor to the flow problems in the creek and that is not going to be replaced as part of this project, but at least the highway will be up enough that if the surrounding area floods again, it should not be affected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version