User Content > Road Trips

Can you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north in one day?

<< < (2/13) > >>

US 89:
I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway between US 441 and US 23/74 last fall. That's about 25 miles. It took me an hour and a half.

If you were to somehow drive all of the Blue Ridge Parkway in a day, you would miss all of what makes the Blue Ridge Parkway...well, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

hbelkins:
The majority of the route is in Virginia, which bans radar detectors. That means stick to the speed limit.

We took a family vacation back in the 1980s, entering Skyline Drive from US 33. We made it to Boone, N.C. on the first day. Woke up the next morning and the whole area was fogged in, so my dad bailed at Asheville and we took another route to Cherokee before crossing over to Gatlinburg. I went back a few years ago and drove from the southern end back to Asheville to clinch it.

Lots of tunnels on the southern section and then there's the Linn Cove Viaduct that's interesting from a road perspective.

SectorZ:
You can but you won't enjoy much of it if you do.

I got to go in early June 2013, with spectacular timing as the remnants of an early season tropical storm made landfall in NC and drifted into western VA. At least I got all the NC part mostly in, but really missed tons of the VA stretch.

Roadgeekteen:
I don't think that we will do it in one day. I think we will do most of it in chunks going both north and south.

ran4sh:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2022, 12:36:09 PM ---The majority of the route is in Virginia, which bans radar detectors. That means stick to the speed limit.

--- End quote ---

As a federal facility, it would make more sense for state laws such as a radar detector ban to not be applicable here, but I guess in this case they don't care.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version