News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadways below auto viaducts

Started by index, August 01, 2019, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

There is a section of the NY 17 'old' road that runs under a viaduct part of I-86 in upstate New York, too.

Mike

oscar

Hawaii's Interstate H-3 is on a viaduct through the scenic Halawa Valley. Underneath that viaduct is an access road, built for construction of the viaduct. It starts at the back of an HDOT maintenance yard, and is not open to the general public. AIUI, HDOT occasionally allows travel on the access road (mainly by native Hawaiian organizations) such as to visit religious and cultural sites in the valley.

Part of the access road, visible from the H-3 viaduct, can be seen in the lower right corner of this photo:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheStranger

Division Street in San Francisco runs directly underneath the Central Freeway/US 101.  Interesting vibe, though there are spots where homeless encampments have been established (which does occur in quite a few underneath-freeway areas in South of Market)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7691685,-122.4090389,3a,75y,301.88h,89.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sg3jS1Tki67dfcV4dQr-QIA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dg3jS1Tki67dfcV4dQr-QIA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D324.039%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Chris Sampang

TEG24601

The I-5 Express Lanes are under both directions of I-5 at different points at the Washington State Convention Center to Mercer St.

The eastside approaches for the Hawthorne and Morrison bridges, all retain roadways underneath for local access.

HI 92/Nimitz Highway as well as HI 99/Kamehameha Highway travel together underneath the H-1 Freeway on the North Side of the Honolulu Airport
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

oscar

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 01, 2019, 07:05:28 PM
HI 92/Nimitz Highway as well as HI 99/Kamehameha Highway travel together underneath the H-1 Freeway on the North Side of the Honolulu Airport

Just 92/Nimitz. HI 99 ends at the west end of the viaduct.

A short remnant of the Kamehameha Highway exists east of the east end of the viaduct, as unsigned HI 7401. Before construction of the H-1 viaduct, the six-lane divided Kamehameha Highway and the four-lane undivided Nimitz Highway ran in parallel north of the airport (1951 photo, courtesy of Hawaii DOT). As part of the viaduct project, those highways were merged into a single divided highway under the viaduct.

EDIT: Forgot about another road under a viaduct, near the east end of H-1 -- part of Waialae Avenue runs for about a half-mile under the freeway:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Almond Street under I-81 in Syracuse
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Burlington Street below Nikolai Tesla Boulevard in Hamilton, Ontario.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

froggie

Two more not mentioned yet:

- In Kansas City, there are two levels to the W 12th St viaduct west of downtown.  The lower level connects to Beardsley Rd east of the tracks and to Hickory St in the West Bottoms.

- In St. Johnsbury, VT, Memorial Bridge (US 2 over the railroad and the Passumpsic River) has a lower level with the streetname of Weeks Ct, which connects to Bay St and River Rd.

thspfc

Francis St under I-229 in St Joseph.

Several downtown streets are under I-794 in MKE.

index

Quote from: froggie on August 02, 2019, 07:24:51 AM
Two more not mentioned yet:

- In Kansas City, there are two levels to the W 12th St viaduct west of downtown.  The lower level connects to Beardsley Rd east of the tracks and to Hickory St in the West Bottoms.

- In St. Johnsbury, VT, Memorial Bridge (US 2 over the railroad and the Passumpsic River) has a lower level with the streetname of Weeks Ct, which connects to Bay St and River Rd.
In a similar fashion, here is E Ave NW under I-380 in Cedar Rapids.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9784935,-91.6738473,3a,75y,66.64h,86.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGFZBrDA3AgFL5aYDkbEUTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Underneath Boston's old Central Artery, pre-Big-Dig, from roughly the Rowe's Wharf area (just south of the New England Aquarium) to the Callahan Tunnel interchange was a parallel street named either Surface St. or Surface Artery
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jay8g

Quote from: index on August 01, 2019, 05:26:15 PM
the Alaskan Way is pretty much long gone now.
Ha, I wish! Hopefully in another couple months or so.

Seattle does still have a few "live" examples though.

jakeroot

The Front Street Parkade in New Westminster, BC, sits on top of Front Street. Technically a viaduct, I believe.

https://goo.gl/maps/bC2w4GrwnHDs2oc56

Seen in such films as I, Robot (Will Smith running after robot with the purse), and Godzilla (2014 -- abandoned city of Janjira).

Partly demolished a few years ago, other half still standing. No plans to take down the rest.

ilpt4u

Part of me is tempted to say Upper Wacker Drive and Lower Wacker Drive in Chicago, but not quite sure if Upper Wacker really qualifies as a Viaduct, as it is Street-Level

mgk920

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 04, 2019, 04:47:42 PM
Part of me is tempted to say Upper Wacker Drive and Lower Wacker Drive in Chicago, but not quite sure if Upper Wacker really qualifies as a Viaduct, as it is Street-Level

The 'lower' level streets in that area are the original street level, those 'upper' level streets were first built above them over a century ago to make it easier for freight services to get to the buildings' docks without mucking up other street traffic.  Pretty ingenious, IMHO.

Mike

TEG24601

Quote from: oscar on August 01, 2019, 07:30:01 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on August 01, 2019, 07:05:28 PM

Just 92/Nimitz. HI 99 ends at the west end of the viaduct.

A short remnant of the Kamehameha Highway exists east of the east end of the viaduct, as unsigned HI 7401. Before construction of the H-1 viaduct, the six-lane divided Kamehameha Highway and the four-lane undivided Nimitz Highway ran in parallel north of the airport (1951 photo, courtesy of Hawaii DOT). As part of the viaduct project, those highways were merged into a single divided highway under the viaduct.

EDIT: Forgot about another road under a viaduct, near the east end of H-1 -- part of Waialae Avenue runs for about a half-mile under the freeway:

Thanks for the clarification.  Just just assumed the designations continued on both ends due to the roadway splitting at each end.  I find it a fascinating piece of engineering, and it is actually an interesting walk and drive.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

plain

Some of River Rd in downtown Louisville runs under I-64.
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

The LIE in Queens east of the BQE has the long ramps from I-278 to I-49 coming from and going to I-495 underneath it.  I also believe the BQE north of the LIE has a local street underneath it.

There is a viaduct in Kansas City that has another local street under it.  Can't remember where, but me and another user on here captured (or captioned)it in photos back in 2016.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Do we count double-decker expressways, such as those in Austin, Mexico City, Puebla... ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.