News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the least traveled 2-di Interstate?

Started by Flint1979, January 13, 2019, 01:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2019, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 13, 2019, 06:55:12 PM

Didn't someone post in the past that I-95 in northern Maine is in the 3,000 to 4,000 range?

Other parts of I-95 make it not anywhere close to being a contender. I-95 might even qualify for most traveled.
Yeah it's not going to be I-95 that's indeed one of the most traveled, especially with the Cross Bronx stretch.

froggie

Quote from: oscar on January 13, 2019, 04:19:00 PM
As for "least traveled" 2di, one candidate would be I-15 between Idaho Falls and Butte. I think at some point froggie posted a map showing traffic volume on that and other Interstate segments, but haven't found it yet.

The 2012 data version...

csw

From my own travels, I'd nominate I-74 between Champaign and Indianapolis, I-86 from Erie to Corning, and I-69 from Evansville to Bloomington. Honorable mention goes to I-39 north of Portage...there's a decent amount of vehicles but almost no trucks.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2019, 03:56:56 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 13, 2019, 03:48:03 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2019, 03:32:15 PM
Another thing to note about I-14 is that it's a redesignation of an existing highway and there's a reasonable chance some people travelled what is now I-14 prior to that designation. I fall into that category: I lived in Copperas Cove and travelled the road then, but I have not been there in over 40 years.

But your list file includes part of the US 190 segment between Copperas Cove and I-35 concurrent with I-14 (not the Killeen bypass, which I guess was built after you were last there). So TM auto-credits you with part of I-14.

My own list file doesn't include an entry for I-14, but it does for the concurrent segment of US 190, so I'm counted too.

Right, I understand that and I know that's why it credited me. I guess what I was trying to say, and didn't say very well, is that the Travel Mapping stats may be misleading in terms of who's actually been on I-14 because of this issue–people who had been there in the past prior to the Interstate.

I dunno, I'd say you have traveled on I-14. The fact that there were no I-14 signs at the time you were there does not change this - you traveled on the same physical road that is there now.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 13, 2019, 10:13:20 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2019, 07:54:00 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 13, 2019, 06:55:12 PM
Didn't someone post in the past that I-95 in northern Maine is in the 3,000 to 4,000 range?
Other parts of I-95 make it not anywhere close to being a contender. I-95 might even qualify for most traveled.
Yeah it's not going to be I-95 that's indeed one of the most traveled, especially with the Cross Bronx stretch.

Unless we are talking about specific segments instead of the route as a whole.

MikieTimT

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 13, 2019, 09:12:38 AM
Regional: Western I-86
Long Distance: I-49

Currently I-49 is 5 segments (if you count the practically complete stretch of AR-549 between AR-22 and US-71) with varying amounts of gaps, some of which are a rather large one connected by roads that are still very curvy and treacherous (US-71 south of Ft. Smith), smaller ones that just take detours out of the final alignment(Shreveport, Alma/Barling), or run right through an at-grade urban area (Bella Vista) with 9 traffic lights.  The last one finally has funding to address in the next 3 years, but there isn't any imminent hope of any of the rest of it within the next 10 years.  This is one road that, due to location and congestion around 2 of the other E-W interstates that it connects to, just screams "if you build it, they will come."

froggie

Quote from: webny99Unless we are talking about specific segments instead of the route as a whole.

Given that was the OP you replied to, I'd wager he isn't talking about specific short segments.

In fact, in the OP, he mentions both "long distance" (i.e. entire length) and "regional" (full length of state or perhaps multiple states, like "New England" or "Mid-Atlantic", etc etc).

webny99

Quote from: froggie on January 14, 2019, 08:21:15 AM
Quote from: webny99Unless we are talking about specific segments instead of the route as a whole.
Given that was the OP you replied to, I'd wager he isn't talking about specific short segments.
In fact, in the OP, he mentions both "long distance" (i.e. entire length) and "regional" (full length of state or perhaps multiple states, like "New England" or "Mid-Atlantic", etc etc).

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

But, if you look for the actual least traveled single portion of interstate, it probably isn't going to be I-97 or I-14, which are relatively heavily traveled despite being shorter in total mileage. I-15 in northern Montana or I-95 in northern Maine would be better candidates.

mgk920

I read a while back that the lowest AADT on a 2DI was on I-15 at the Idaho-Montana state line.

Closer to home, what's the AADT on I-88 west of Rochelle, IL?

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2019, 04:14:14 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 13, 2019, 01:53:59 AM
I don't think I have seen this question asked before and can't find anything about it anywhere and I was just thinking Indianapolis will have 8 Interstate's approaching it once I-69 is complete and for some reason I don't know why but it got me thinking I wonder what the least traveled 2-di Interstate highway is because I was thinking they are all major highways for the most part and connect various places so there is going to be one that has the least amount of traffic on it.

Now that's a lengthy sentence if I've ever seen one!

There are really three ways to answer this:

(1) Lowest Total Vehicle Miles Traveled over the entire route - obviously the shortest (and newest) interstates are the best candidates, like I-14.

(2) Lowest AADT on a Single Segment - I-95 near the Canadian border or I-90 in Montana might qualify even though those routes as a whole are heavily traveled.

(3) Least-Traveled by Roadgeeks - the remote, obscure or otherwise inconvenient for a majority of us to clinch - see list posted by 1 above.

Obviously looking at it by those three different measures all lead to very different answers. I'm not sure which one of those you had in mind, or maybe all three.

Actually, I would measure it by the highest AADT of any segment of the highway.  That is to say, what is the AADT of the busiest segment of a particular Interstate?  The lowest answer wins.

For example, the stretch of I-19 with the highest AADT is between Exit 98 and Exit 99 in Tucson, at 89,842.  That would be the "score" for I-19.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2019, 01:47:34 PM
Actually, I would measure it by the highest AADT of any segment of the highway.  That is to say, what is the AADT of the busiest segment of a particular Interstate?  The lowest answer wins.

For example, the stretch of I-19 with the highest AADT is between Exit 98 and Exit 99 in Tucson, at 89,842.  That would be the "score" for I-19.

Hmmm.

Lowest high. I think I like it. It would definitely eliminate all the I-X0's and I-X5's, and anything that passes through a large metro area, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The western I-86, which was one of the ones that jumped out right away as a candidate, has a high of 27,000 (near the eastern terminus in Pocatello). I think we can get lower than that.

88 west of Rochelle is about 15000. That is the high point if 72 between Jacksonville and Springfield.  It goes down to about 6000 near Hannibal.  15000 is 74 in Western Illinois and Indiana.  It is about that on parts of 35 in Iowa and I think 88 and 86 in NY are even lower.Lots of low volume 2di out there.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 14, 2019, 03:23:18 PM

Hmmm.

Lowest high. I think I like it. It would definitely eliminate all the I-X0's and I-X5's, and anything that passes through a large metro area, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The western I-86, which was one of the ones that jumped out right away as a candidate, has a high of 27,000 (near the eastern terminus in Pocatello). I think we can get lower than that.
Eastern I-88 tops out at 26k between where NY 7 splits off for Binghamton and NY 12A.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on January 14, 2019, 03:23:18 PM

Hmmm.

That might give the answer I'm looking for. The one with the lowest high will most likely be the least traveled IMO.

roadfro

Technically, I-11 doesn't go up as far as SR 592 (Flamingo Rd). If you meant SR 582 (Boulder Hwy, the south end), then that makes sense.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SSR_317

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 13, 2019, 01:53:59 AM
... and I was just thinking Indianapolis will have 8 Interstate's approaching it once I-69 is complete ...
Well, we ARE the "Crossroads of America"! And we might someday have 9 Interstate segments approaching... if US 31 from South Bend & Michigan beyond is ever fully upgraded and designated as I-67 (as I feel it SHOULD be).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.