News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 11, 2015, 03:22:48 PM
Maybe the MTQ will eventually connect both ends together...

Don't hold your breath on that. It looks like A-20 between Trois-Pistoles and Rimouski has been pulled from MTQ's 2015-2025 plans, to give priority to completing A-85:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2015/09/23/006-prolongement-20-jean-damour-fait-le-point.shtml

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2015/11/12/001-autoroute-20-prolongement-chambre-commerce-rimouski-transports-jean-damour.shtml

http://rimouski.rougefm.ca/info-rimouski/2015/09/23/prolongement-de-lautoroute-20-sur-la-glace

MTQ says one reason for postponing (not killing) extending A-20 to Rimouski is the very expensive river crossing in Trois-Pistoles. Since bridge construction seems to be already underway, I'm not sure what happens to that part of the project.

BTW, extension of A-20 to Notre-Dame-des-Neiges southwest of Trois-Pistoles was supposed to be done around now, but apparently hasn't happened just yet.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Fugazi

Quote from: oscar on November 12, 2015, 08:25:16 PM
BTW, extension of A-20 to Notre-Dame-des-Neiges southwest of Trois-Pistoles was supposed to be done around now, but apparently hasn't happened just yet.

The new 15 km stretch appears to have opened a few days ago.

https://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/Ouverture-autoroute-20-entre-LIsle-Verte-et-Notre-Dame-des-Neiges.aspx

AsphaltPlanet

I'm surprised it took as long as it did to open.  It didn't look all that far away from completion when I was out there in May.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: oscar on November 12, 2015, 08:25:16 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 11, 2015, 03:22:48 PM
Maybe the MTQ will eventually connect both ends together...

Don't hold your breath on that. It looks like A-20 between Trois-Pistoles and Rimouski has been pulled from MTQ's 2015-2025 plans, to give priority to completing A-85:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2015/09/23/006-prolongement-20-jean-damour-fait-le-point.shtml

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2015/11/12/001-autoroute-20-prolongement-chambre-commerce-rimouski-transports-jean-damour.shtml

http://rimouski.rougefm.ca/info-rimouski/2015/09/23/prolongement-de-lautoroute-20-sur-la-glace

MTQ says one reason for postponing (not killing) extending A-20 to Rimouski is the very expensive river crossing in Trois-Pistoles. Since bridge construction seems to be already underway, I'm not sure what happens to that part of the project.

Well, to be honest, I'm glad MTQ is focusing on A85. That and A35 should be top priority IMO. Upgrading those roads has gone on too long already.

MrDisco99

Is the A-20 meant to stay a super-2 north of exit 521?

AsphaltPlanet

It's been designed so that it could eventually be widened to four lanes.  That said, it hasn't been designed to be widened to four lanes in the near future.

By the looks of the various two-lane overpasses that have been constructed, the abutments could be converted to a central pier with the approaching fill excavated and replaced with girders.  To me though, if they had any thoughts of widening the highway quickly, they'd have just built overpasses long enough at the outset.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cbeach40

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 28, 2016, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2016, 02:07:09 PM
The area between A-5 and ON 417 has always struck me as a definite gap in Canada's freeway system.  Too bad it looks like the tunnel to fill that gap will be truck-only.

The gap in A-20 west of Montreal is much worse IMO.

That one is pretty bad. There really ought to be an option to bypass it via A-30 to the south or A-40 to the north. Then at least you wouldn't have a gap in the network there. ;)
and waterrrrrrr!

SignGeek101

Quote from: cbeach40 on July 29, 2016, 08:36:53 AM
The area between A-5 and ON 417 has always struck me as a definite gap in Canada's freeway system.  Too bad it looks like the tunnel to fill that gap will be truck-only.

That one is pretty bad. There really ought to be an option to bypass it via A-30 to the south or A-40 to the north. Then at least you wouldn't have a gap in the network there. ;)

Fair enough. Quebec has higher priorities for freeway connections (like A-85 and 35). I guess my cringing for A-20 is more of an emotional thing rather than a logical one.

Alps

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 29, 2016, 08:06:59 PM

Fair enough. Quebec has higher priorities for freeway connections (like A-85 and 35). I guess my cringing for A-20 is more of an emotional thing rather than a logical one.
I think A-20 is a higher priority than A-85. They've designed it, they've just never gotten funding in place. To me, the highest priority is making sure the Montréal infrastructure doesn't crumble, which it's already very good at doing, and then Québec City won't be far behind (but fewer bridges and better condition helps).

AsphaltPlanet

Sure, but completed A-20 doesn't really do anything for infrastructure renewal in Montreal, aside from ensuring there are more maintenance requirements for the province in the future.

From a traffic perspective in the Montreal region, money would be much better spent on widening either A-20 or A-10 east of A-30 than it would be on completing the last remaining portions of A-20 through the west islands.

MisterSG1

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 30, 2016, 08:35:43 AM
Sure, but completed A-20 doesn't really do anything for infrastructure renewal in Montreal, aside from ensuring there are more maintenance requirements for the province in the future.

From a traffic perspective in the Montreal region, money would be much better spent on widening either A-20 or A-10 east of A-30 than it would be on completing the last remaining portions of A-20 through the west islands.

What about widening A-30 in the stretch between A-10 and A-20? A six lane stretch of A-30 would make the A-30 bypass more reliable.

7/8

Quote from: Alps on July 29, 2016, 11:02:41 PM

I think A-20 is a higher priority than A-85. They've designed it, they've just never gotten funding in place. To me, the highest priority is making sure the Montréal infrastructure doesn't crumble, which it's already very good at doing, and then Québec City won't be far behind (but fewer bridges and better condition helps).

Quote from: MisterSG1 on July 30, 2016, 09:18:12 AM

What about widening A-30 in the stretch between A-10 and A-20? A six lane stretch of A-30 would make the A-30 bypass more reliable.

^ Above comments are from the Ontario's Highways thread - page 26

Just making sure, when you say the A-30 stretch from A-10 to A-20, are you referring to the west interchange with A-20, or the east interchange with A-20?

I've driven A-30 a few times from the west end to A-10 and I found it wasn't that busy. Is it already having traffic issues?

MisterSG1

Quote from: 7/8 on July 30, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

Just making sure, when you say the A-30 stretch from A-10 to A-20, are you referring to the west interchange with A-20, or the east interchange with A-20?

I've driven A-30 a few times from the west end to A-10 and I found it wasn't that busy. Is it already having traffic issues?

The east interchange.

7/8

They're working 24/7 on the Turcot interchange in Montreal. I could see why local residents would be bothered by this though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/turcot-interchange-work-could-lead-to-depression-and-anxiety-psychologists-say-1.3699228

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: 7/8 on July 30, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

I've never encountered any congestion on the new section of A-30 either.  But the older section, particularly between the A-10 and A-20 interchanges, is prone to traffic and could stand to be widened.  It's probably not the highest priority corridor to be widened in the area though.

One of the last times I went to Quebec City, I came through Montreal during Friday rush hour.  There was about a 4km queue to exit A-30 at the A-20 east interchange, and the eastbound lanes of A-20 were jammed until St-Hyacinthe, and were unpleasant all the way to Drummondville.

AsphaltPlanet

Quebec Autoroute 740 photodump:

The entire set is here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/740/index.html

noelbotevera

So I did some research about the Montreal area and some interesting highways popped up to me, but some of them I have questions about. Here's my first observation.

1. A-20 was originally going to follow A-720, through the north bank of the St. Lawrence River, to a short freeway that Avenue Souligny uses, and ends at an overbuilt interchange with A-25 (Sortie 4), and up until 2011, A-25 ended abruptly here. A-20 would then follow the Louis Lafontine Bridge-Tunnel over the St. Lawrence River, bypassing Longueuil. Instead, A-25 used the Louis Lafontine Bridge-Tunnel to A-20. (information courtesy of AlpsRoads) However, it was not finished between the end of A-720 and Avenue Souligny, instead multiplexing with QC 132 through Longueuil. However, A-40 later did exactly that, following the north shore of the St. Lawrence River all the way through Montreal. So why was there a need for A-20 to follow the north shore if A-40 later took its place? Is it because QC 132 would be its own freeway and the main route through Longueuil, or was it because A-40 was not anticipated?

2. A-13 parallels A-15 up until it ends at A-640. It also was supposed to head northwest to Mirabel Airport. So what was the point of this Autoroute if A-15 did exactly what A-13 did; head northwest out of Montreal. Was A-13 supposed to be a bypass of the tolled A-15 at the time of its construction, or was it an airport connector, connecting Mirabel and P.E Trudeau?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2016, 03:31:20 PM
So I did some research about the Montreal area and some interesting highways popped up to me, but some of them I have questions about. Here's my first observation.

1. A-20 was originally going to follow A-720, through the north bank of the St. Lawrence River, to a short freeway that Avenue Souligny uses, and ends at an overbuilt interchange with A-25 (Sortie 4), and up until 2011, A-25 ended abruptly here. A-20 would then follow the Louis Lafontine Bridge-Tunnel over the St. Lawrence River, bypassing Longueuil. Instead, A-25 used the Louis Lafontine Bridge-Tunnel to A-20. (information courtesy of AlpsRoads) However, it was not finished between the end of A-720 and Avenue Souligny, instead multiplexing with QC 132 through Longueuil. However, A-40 later did exactly that, following the north shore of the St. Lawrence River all the way through Montreal. So why was there a need for A-20 to follow the north shore if A-40 later took its place? Is it because QC 132 would be its own freeway and the main route through Longueuil, or was it because A-40 was not anticipated?

2. A-13 parallels A-15 up until it ends at A-640. It also was supposed to head northwest to Mirabel Airport. So what was the point of this Autoroute if A-15 did exactly what A-13 did; head northwest out of Montreal. Was A-13 supposed to be a bypass of the tolled A-15 at the time of its construction, or was it an airport connector, connecting Mirabel and P.E Trudeau?

NIMBYS contested the A-20 original alignment.

A-13 was planned to be both, an A-15 relief route and airport connector linking Mirabel and Dorval and also linking with A-50.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 03, 2016, 03:31:20 PM

Montreal is a big city. Parallel freeways are necessary.

7/8

Does anybody know why A-20 has you driving on the left between QC 138 and the Turcot? It just seems like more work, with overpasses required to get the lanes back to the right side on each end.

It'll be a bit sad to see this interesting section go when they reconstruct the interchange.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted this video showing the progress of A-73 construction between Notre-Dame-des-Pins and Beauceville filmed last April. http://www.beauce.tv/regarder.php?vId=7064

vdeane

Quote from: 7/8 on August 04, 2016, 12:33:36 PM
Does anybody know why A-20 has you driving on the left between QC 138 and the Turcot? It just seems like more work, with overpasses required to get the lanes back to the right side on each end.

It'll be a bit sad to see this interesting section go when they reconstruct the interchange.
That might have been the easiest way to deal with the railroad tracks.  The EB lanes are pretty straight, but the WB lanes swerve twice.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

I found a couple more odd things about the Montreal freeway system.

A-520 ends oddly. The speed limit decreases from 70 km/h to 50 km/h, and it merges into it's frontage roads. There's also a traffic light for some odd reason. Also, there is no direct way to A-40 WB. You have to follow A-520's frontage road, make a left onto the other side of A-40, and follow its frontage road to the next exit (or loop around back to A-520 and A-40 EB). The interchange also seems to be a corrupted trumpet and all the movements are made via A-520's and A-40's frontage roads.

From A-40 EB to A-520 WB/Frontage Road WB has you exit at Sortie 65, and the frontage road splits, with the right fork looping, and then merges with A-520 EB back to A-520 WB, and then splits again, between the frontage road and A-520 WB. A-40 WB to A-520 WB has it bad too. You exit at Sortie 65, following, the A-40 WB frontage road and having to merge left and weave with the A-40 EB frontage road, and must continue straight to A-520 WB (the left fork takes you to A-40/A-520's frontage road and A-40 EB). A-520 EB to A-40 EB just takes a direct ramp to A-40 EB, while A-520 EB to A-40 WB has the situation I described earlier.

So what's the reason behind this? Is A-520 the original route of A-20, and the frontage roads were built before A-520, or was this meant to be a way to efficiently and cheaply build interchanges between Autoroutes? Because interchanges such as A-15 to A-720/A-20 don't have this problem.

(On another note, it turns out the extension of A-13 to Mirabel was cancelled because of NIMBYs and the fact that Mirabel turned out to be useless, and thus the extension would be a waste of money. I personally think the current route though to A-640 is useful to bypass congestion on A-15 in Laval and Montreal.) 

Another thing is that A-15 strangely resets exit numbers after the concurrency with A-40. I'm guessing that A-15 ended here, and the extension to the US was built later (it could be vice versa though).

7/8

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 09, 2016, 11:56:57 PM
I found a couple more odd things about the Montreal freeway system.

A-520 ends oddly. The speed limit decreases from 70 km/h to 50 km/h, and it merges into it's frontage roads. There's also a traffic light for some odd reason. Also, there is no direct way to A-40 WB. You have to follow A-520's frontage road, make a left onto the other side of A-40, and follow its frontage road to the next exit (or loop around back to A-520 and A-40 EB). The interchange also seems to be a corrupted trumpet and all the movements are made via A-520's and A-40's frontage roads.

I'm not sure what the story is behind this interchange, but I can see why they didn't bother putting in an easy way to get from A-520 EB to A-40 WB. Traffic heading for A-40 WB could just use A-13 NB or surface streets as Boulevard Cavendish.

The A-13 and A-520 interchange also requires using frontage roads to switch between the two highways. I think this one is due to the space constraints and resultant tight ramps. If the ramps merged directly onto the autoroute, there wouldn't be enough space for safe acceleration lanes.

------

My family often stays at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Dorval, and we wondered what the heck was up with these "ramps to nowhere." This article from May 2nd suggests they'll finally be put to good use. http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/dorvals-so-called-ramps-to-nowhere-to-be-completed-by-fall-2017

QuoteThe two so-called ramps to nowhere off Highway 20 in Dorval will be completed by the fall of 2017. The announcement was made during a technical briefing by Transport Quebec on Monday.

Work on the two ramps just east of Dorval Circle on the westbound side of the highway has been stalled for years while the provincial government, CN, CP and two hotels affected by the revamping of the roadways in the area worked out their differences.

The two ramps will provide access to and from the airport from Highway 20 and Highway 520 and, by extension, create a direct link from the airport to the downtown core.

Linking the ramps to the highways will relieve congestion in Dorval Circle because airport traffic will take the new direct route.

The ramps sat unfinished for years because both CN and CP refused to approve the original plan, which involved moving tracks and interrupting rail service. The new design won't move tracks, but it will see the demolition of 10 per cent of one of the unfinished ramps.

Transport Ministry engineer Kamal Boulhrouz said the ramp must be reworked to accommodate the technical requirements of the new design.

"It was built when the plan was to move rail tracks,"  Boulhrouz said during Monday's briefing. "From a cost perspective, the demolition of 10 per cent of the ramp is much less expensive than moving tracks."  

When pushed by journalists as to why the ramps were built before negotiations with the affected parties were complete, Boulhrouz said the project was "very complicated"  and had many players – each with interests and needs to accommodate.

"Today's news is good,"  he said. "We've come up with a solution that works for everyone."

The cost of demolishing and rebuilding 10 per cent of the ramp is included in the $344-million contract awarded to contractor TNT. The vast reworking of what is called the Dorval Exchange North project is scheduled for completion in 2019.

The Transport Ministry's director for the Dorval project, Martin Cormier, said 75 per cent of the overall project is complete. All roadwork in the area, which includes redoing Michel-Jasmin Ave., will be completed by fall 2018 and the finishing touches, including landscaping, will be done by 2019.

The cost of completing the link of the two ramps with the highways and the airport is $18 million.

The overhaul of the Dorval exchange also affected the parking lots for both Hôtel MTL Express (formerly Best Western) and Hôtel Marriott Fairfield. There were also concerns about vibrations and noise.

In March, the Tribunal administratif du Québec ordered the Transport Ministry to pay Hôtel MTL Express a provisional indemnity of around $5 million for the expropriation of part of its parking lot and to cover costs incurred by the hotel during the transformation process. The exact amount of the compensation will be calculated once the work is complete.

Transport Ministry spokesman Sarah Bensadoun said the agreement with Hôtel Marriott Fairfield "is confidential since it was a private negotiation."

Cormier said there will be some lane closures on westbound Highway 20 and Highway 520 during the completion of the roadwork. Details about closures are posted at www.quebec511.info.

Neither Cormier or Boulhrouz had information about the redevelopment of the southern portion of the Dorval Exchange, which is supposed to include the reworking of Dorval Ave. and new stations for buses and trains. The shape of that overhaul might well be affected by the announcement last month by the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec of a $5.5-billion light-rail project that will link the South Shore, North Shore and the West Island with the airport and the downtown core. Boulhrouz said the light-rail system would not overlap with work being done on the Dorval Exchange North project because its route runs north of the project.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 09, 2016, 11:56:57 PM

Another thing is that A-15 strangely resets exit numbers after the concurrency with A-40. I'm guessing that A-15 ended here, and the extension to the US was built later (it could be vice versa though).
15 always went the way it does. However, the two autoroutes are considered completely different freeways, hence the reset for Laurentides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.