News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95 in Virginia - 4th lane open NB

Started by Mapmikey, June 22, 2011, 07:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Greetings--

The 4th through lane NB is now open from VA 123 northward, completing the 6+ miles of widening that began 3 years ago.  The 4th lane is formed from the VA 123 SB clover loop to I-95 NB.  Over the last 10 days the lane had been open further and further south in at least 3 stages.

Southbound is not too far from being done but may still be a week or two from opening.

Mapmikey
Co-curator Virginia Highways Page
www.vahighways.com

froggie

Not really surprising....southbound has lagged behinf northbound all through the project.  The northbound lane opened through Lorton months before the southbound lane did.

mtantillo

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2011, 01:21:53 PM
Not really surprising....southbound has lagged behinf northbound all through the project.  The northbound lane opened through Lorton months before the southbound lane did.

I'm pretty sure northbound opened the better part of a year before the southbound lane did. 

Hopefully that extra capacity over the Occaquan helps a little with traffic in the NB direction...I'm not getting my hopes up too much that it will do much beyond moving the bottleneck further south in the SB direction though!

Mapmikey

The 4th lane SB opened Wednesday night...

Because 4th of July traffic was bad yesterday (and will be worse today), I haven't gone that way but it wouldn't be an accurate indicator of how the backup pattern will be.  So i will report back in two weeks when I next come to work...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.