News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Manitoba's Highways

Started by AsphaltPlanet, August 09, 2023, 08:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Seeing as there isn't a catch all for Manitoba on this forum, I thought I'd create one.

Here is a picture from July showing the St. Mary's Road interchange under construction from the southern side of the Perimeter Highway south of Winnipeg:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/MB/100/MB100_dv_DSC02795_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

yakra

Quote from: https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100/index.html
The St. Mary's Road interchange Project is a part of Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure's Winnipeg One Million Perimeter Freeway Initiative, which aims to support the international trade hub and accommodate the anticipated future population of Winnipeg and surrounding areas. This initiative includes a plan to upgrade the Perimeter Highway to a freeway standard as Winnipeg approaches reaching a population of one million.
Dig into the PDFs linked from that page and you can find some neato schematics of planned interchanges and reconfigurations of surrounding roads.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

JREwing78

If you're a follower of Trucker Josh on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/@Trucker_Josh), you'll get a pretty good idea of the issues with the southern portion of the Perimeter Highway. To be fair, it's a product of the late 1950s and 1960s, and the Perimeter was only completely 4-laned as of 2018.

It's kind of amazing that in 2023 a North American metro area the size of Winnipeg doesn't have a full freeway beltline in place. The conversion to full freeway is definitely overdue and a welcome development.

The only major upgrades beyond the south Perimeter work that the Trans Canada desperately needs is a freeway conversion or bypass of Headingley. It appears Manitoba is planning for a northern bypass that plugs into the Perimeter at the current Hwy 190 interchange.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 13, 2023, 04:35:33 PM
It's kind of amazing that in 2023 a North American metro area the size of Winnipeg doesn't have a full freeway beltline in place.
laughs in Montréal
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

AsphaltPlanet

Manitoba just elected a new provincial government.  I'll be curious to see if the change in political stripe has any effect on the planned upgrades to the Perimeter Highway.  I certainly hope not.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.