News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CovalenceSTU

It looks like they removed the railroad right after the imagery: https://maps.app.goo.gl/2zDBRNwQnV3nTLsa8

Update: 12/2023 imagery shows they had done a full rebuild of the railroad - also interesting.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ErmineNotyours

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2023, 01:05:20 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 30, 2023, 12:14:53 AM
A GSV shirt

You'd think Google makes enough money to afford fonts that aren't shit.
They make money because they didn't shell out for the font.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

jmacswimmer

A signal outage on MD 140 near Westminster, with work trucks & cones setup to temporarily block left-turns & cross traffic.

Given the August 2023 imagery date, it's possible the power outage was stemming from the same thunderstorm that knocked down ~20 powerline poles across MD 140 a few miles to the west.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

CNGL-Leudimin

You are in France. If you need a visa to enter France and don't hold a travel permit valid for at least one year issued in Germany, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Luxembourg or Portugal; you must declare your entry at the Freyming Merlebach police station.

This is in Rosbruck, France; right across the border from Großrosseln, Germany. This would apply in very rare cases anyway, since both countries are part of the Schengen area.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

roadman65

Not crazy, but GSV capturing a railroad grade crossing gates down with signals active.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fcme8erfZ1oPnB9U9
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2023, 07:42:55 PM
Not crazy, but GSV capturing a railroad grade crossing gates down with signals active.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fcme8erfZ1oPnB9U9

You can find that a fair amount if you know where/when to look.

This is bizarre, though. Given the fact there's a provision for the gate mechanism to be attached to the bridge cantilever, I'm guessing the road was planned to be widened/wider at some point, but, when that didn't happen, the gate mechanism was given its own mast closer to the road.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ErmineNotyours

I thought we had a movie location thread, but I can't find it.

Not so much a location but a prop: the Bluth stair car from Arrested Development.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/f1NS1nCJvJ4VZ1nv7

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 10, 2024, 04:50:19 PM
I thought we had a movie location thread, but I can't find it.

Not so much a location but a prop: the Bluth stair car from Arrested Development.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/f1NS1nCJvJ4VZ1nv7

At least it's behind barbed wire to keep off the hop-ons.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

CovalenceSTU

I-495 captured in pitch black - the same date has night imagery (plus some evening and midday mixed in) for many miles in both directions.

MATraveler128

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on February 15, 2024, 10:08:16 PM
I-495 captured in pitch black - the same date has night imagery (plus some evening and midday mixed in) for many miles in both directions.

I-95 in New Hampshire at the Hampton Toll Plaza express lanes also has some night imagery from November 2018 although it appears close to dusk. I've never understood why GSV even does street view at night.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

TheCatalyst31

Rockslide on Federal Highway 24 in Mexico. It looks like the Street View car had to turn around, because there's no imagery past the big rock.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

freebrickproductions

Looks like it wiped-out a median signal and threw the intersection into flash?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NE2

LilianaUwU

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2024, 05:33:15 PM
Brazitain?
Can't say I'm opposed to this idea, as long as it's properly done. It eliminates most conflict points.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

dvferyance

I found a Jewel Osco in Stevens Point. Jewel does not have any stores anywhere in Wisconsin. They used to operate in Wisconsin but only in SE Wisconsin. They never at any time had a store in Stevens Point.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.