News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2018, 01:51:55 PM
I hate Whataburger fries.
I'm not such a big fan of the Five Guys fries. I've never been to Whataburger, but I did see one along FL 40 in Ocala, and never got the chance to go there, because it closed.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 14, 2018, 06:09:04 PM
I'm not such a big fan of the Five Guys fries. I've never been to Whataburger, but I did see one along FL 40 in Ocala, and never got the chance to go to it, because it closed.

The Five Guys cajun fries are where it's at. Perfection in a bag.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

I'm not such a big fan of the Five Guys fries. I've never been to Whataburger, but I did see one along FL 40 in Ocala, and never got the chance to go to it, because it closed.

The best thing about Five Guys fries is the amount you get.

I'm told that you can ask for your fries to be cooked "well done" and they won't be quite as greasy/soggy/soft.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Five Guys does have them pour out of the cup, I must admit.  Plus all the peanuts you can eat while waiting for your made to order food.  On the subject of Whataburger, I believe they cook to order as I remember waiting ten minutes or more for the food.

Too bad the idiots who run Whataburger pulled the plug on the stores they opened in Orlando as it was great having them here.  Them and Bojangles, for some reason opened up for a short time in Central Florida and both yanked their stores, but kept the ones in other Florida cities.  The closest Whataburger for me is in Jacksonville over 150 miles away.

Braums, located in Oklahoma, Western AR, Northern TX, and Kansas has decent french fries.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

I got talked out of In & Out while in Dallas, went to Whataburger instead.  They were pretty good.  In & Out will be expanding to Colorado in the next 2 years (with a confirmed distribution center in CO Springs.).  And depending on how far the new DC will cover in the Springs, Kansas may get some In & Outs in addition to Colorado.

Currently, the closest In & Out is in St. George, UT (if Vegas Bound) or in the Salt Lake area -- either way an over 200+ mile trek.

Flint1979

Whataburger just seemed like an average fast food joint it wasn't anything special to me but I had never tried it before so I thought I'd give it a try. Only time I've ever eaten at one was in Austin it was off MoPac Expressway and William Cannon Drive.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

inkyatari

Of all the burgers I have had, Steak n Shake is hands down the best.

Smashburger made me evacuate.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

I remember going to the original Five Guys restaurants in northern Virginia and watching them measure out a cup of fries and then throw in a nonspecific amount of extra fries.  When they started their massive franchising expansion, they started measuring the extra fries, too, and it just wasn't the same.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 16, 2018, 09:42:19 AM
Of all the burgers I have had, Steak n Shake is hands down the best.

Smashburger made me evacuate.

I miss Smashburger!

I used to order a burger with grilled onions, mayo and mustard, cheese...  With all the grease involved there, it was about impossible to keep the thing together, but it was super yummy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2018, 11:36:19 AM
I remember going to the original Five Guys restaurants in northern Virginia and watching them measure out a cup of fries and then throw in a nonspecific amount of extra fries.  When they started their massive franchising expansion, they started measuring the extra fries, too, and it just wasn't the same.

Eh, I wouldn't say the extra fries are particularly "measured" at a lot of locations. I've seen different locations put the extra fries in by different means.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2018, 01:16:19 PM

Eh, I wouldn't say the extra fries are particularly "measured" at a lot of locations. I've seen different locations put the extra fries in by different means.

Around here, they scoop the fries into the cup till it overflows, and then they just dump a bunch of fries in the top of the bag after everything's inside.  No measuring involved.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

One fry clerk told me "we're supposed to double it". My local Five Guys varies between one-and-a-half large servings, and times where it's at least two. Usually it's the latter scenario.

It seems like more if I order two or more burgers.

RobbieL2415

What is the deal with Shake Shack?  I ate at one of their Manhattan locations and I didn't think it was that great.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 16, 2018, 11:01:32 PM
What is the deal with Shake Shack?  I ate at one of their Manhattan locations and I didn't think it was that great.

Of all the "thin" burgers (i.e. McDonald's style), I like Shake Shack's by comparison.

However, nothing for me beats Five Guys, as they cook it from raw and make it nice and thick for you.

Flint1979

I like how Steak N Shake has their $4.99 menu.

abefroman329

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 16, 2018, 11:04:03 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 16, 2018, 11:01:32 PM

Of all the "thin" burgers (i.e. McDonald's style), I like Shake Shack's by comparison.

However, nothing for me beats Five Guys, as they cook it from raw and make it nice and thick for you.

As far as thin burgers go, for me it's

1) In-N-Out
2) Shake Shack
3) M Burger

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 17, 2018, 12:58:44 AM
I like how Steak N Shake has their $4.99 menu.

I think I prefer the "old" menu, the one that had fewer specialty burgers and everything didn't automatically come with a side of fries.  I used to love getting the cheese fries, with ketchup on top it's the best way to eat their fries, but the server is always confused when I try to order cheese fries with the burger.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2018, 03:44:46 PM

One fry clerk told me "we're supposed to double it". My local Five Guys varies between one-and-a-half large servings, and times where it's at least two. Usually it's the latter scenario.

It seems like more if I order two or more burgers.

One day my wife and I stopped at Five Guys.  While I got a burger and fries, she wasn't feeling that great, and decided to try their grilled cheese sandwich.  It was, by far, the absolute worst grilled cheese ever.  The main issue - they spread mayonnaise on the bread, and then grilled the bread before putting the cheese on.  It was horrible!  Yes, Five Guys aren't known for their grilled cheese sandwiches, but it is a menu option.  Steer far, far away from it!!

One of the best cheap grilled cheeses I had is actually a hack job from...McDonalds!  Get a cheeseburger or double cheeseburger (not the McDouble).  Scrape the cheese off the burger. Set the burger aside, give it to the dog, throw it away, whatever.  Eat just the cheese and the buns. Because the cheese has melted while on the burger, it's the perfect consistency for a grilled cheese.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2018, 07:57:37 PM

The best thing about Five Guys fries is the amount you get.

The fun thing about the amount is when someone who's never been to Five Guys before requests a large order of fries. Even more fun if it's a family and each family member requests a large order of fries. It's always entertaining to see their reactions to the enormous portion. Admittedly this is becoming less common as Five Guys have expanded so quickly.

I like Five Guys fries best after they've been sitting for a few minutes. They seem to firm up a bit. Eat them too soon after they come out of the fryer and the texture isn't quite right, IMO.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

I have never known anyone to get a grilled cheese at either Five Guys or McDonald's.  Good to know, though.

Although I don't think Shake Shack is bad, I'd still take Five Guys over it if I was hankering for a burger.  I would take Shake Shack over Steak 'N Shake, too.

I was very unimpressed with In-N-Out, though.  Better than McDonald's or Burger King, but I don't know what the brouhaha is about.  Shoot, just offhand, I don't know if it or Sonic is better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Five Guy's isn't bad, but I've become more a fan of Mooyah's burger and fries.  I find the ingredients fresher, and the fries not anywhere as greasy as Five Guy's.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 17, 2018, 09:40:04 AM
One day my wife and I stopped at Five Guys.  While I got a burger and fries, she wasn't feeling that great, and decided to try their grilled cheese sandwich.  It was, by far, the absolute worst grilled cheese ever.  The main issue - they spread mayonnaise on the bread, and then grilled the bread before putting the cheese on.  It was horrible!  Yes, Five Guys aren't known for their grilled cheese sandwiches, but it is a menu option.  Steer far, far away from it!!

That's not been the case with my wife's Five Guys experiences. She's not a big meat eater, so whenever we've been to Five Guys, she's gotten the grilled cheese. No mayo in sight, and she thought the sandwich was tasty.

I've never heard of putting mayo on a grilled cheese before. Of course, I think mayo is the devil's semen and won't eat it at all, so to me, putting mayo on anything is disgusting.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on January 17, 2018, 11:01:24 AM
I have never known anyone to get a grilled cheese at either Five Guys ...

Even kids???  That's what at least one of my sons gets every time we go there.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Mayo on a grilled cheese?  As the Mythbusters would say "Well, there's your problem."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.