News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When will this heat STOP?!

Started by snowc, September 15, 2021, 04:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 01, 2022, 05:25:58 PM
I was in Corpus Christi about a month ago (late June) and I really didn't think it was that bad, even in the hottest part of the day walking around outside. Of course there was a really nice breeze that day, which probably mitigated the heat a bit. I personally think that the humidity in Houston is worse because it's far enough inland that a breeze is not too common, and the city heat island effect makes the city even hotter. Winters are at least very nice here however.

You're from Houston, so you could probably walk through pure steam and not notice.

Oklahoma is no slouch in the humidity department either, but there was a noticeable difference to me. We got into town around 11PM and hit up a Burger King for some dinner, and I remember the humidity hitting me square in the face when I rolled down the window at the drive-thru.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

J N Winkler

I tend to find that in the middle of the day, when it is hottest, the relative humidity isn't just lower; the dewpoint is also slightly lower.  For example, for the last 24 hours here in Wichita, the dewpoint is currently at its lowest (59° F, air temperature 100° F) and was at its highest around midnight (72° F, air temperature 77° F).

However, as a practical matter, I have to change clothes to go outside for any significant length of time, whether it is in the middle of the afternoon or late in the evening.  I usually go for a two-mile walk around sunset, and come back in with sweat patches on my T-shirt and needing to wipe down my upper body with a wet washcloth.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

brad2971

So far, the real interesting thing about this summer isn't the heat, it's the fact that this has been a...rather quiet start to the hurricane season. Seriously, only three named storms this year in the Atlantic basin, and one of those (Bonnie) crossed over to the Pacific and became a hurricane there. There hasn't been anything approaching a tropical cyclone in nearly a month.

CoreySamson

Quote from: brad2971 on August 01, 2022, 07:18:37 PM
So far, the real interesting thing about this summer isn't the heat, it's the fact that this has been a...rather quiet start to the hurricane season. Seriously, only three named storms this year in the Atlantic basin, and one of those (Bonnie) crossed over to the Pacific and became a hurricane there. There hasn't been anything approaching a tropical cyclone in nearly a month.
Last year had a similar hurricane drought this time of year, and most Atlantic hurricane seasons tend to have one right about now. I think the only reason we're calling it "quiet" is that 2020 threw us for a loop as to what normal when it comes to hurricanes actually means. If this persists halfway into August, then it would be weird.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

swake

Quote from: jgb191 on August 01, 2022, 01:25:44 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on July 31, 2022, 12:36:28 AM
Judging by all the others' complaints about summer weather, I guess I have a higher-than-average heat tolerance, having grown up and lived in a semi-tropical climate all my life.  I don't ever remember complaining in the summer.  I've been outside in the summer playing tennis or hauling baggage on the tarmac and still feel alright.  On the flipside, anything below 60 degrees (with light breeze) and I start shivering, especially if I don't have a coat on.

I still firmly stand by my belief that South Texas has the most desirable climate anywhere in North America.

I don't think you'll get many people to agree with you. I'm from Oklahoma (I firmly stand by my belief that Oklahoma has the least desirable climate anywhere in North America) and even I found Corpus Christi to be uncomfortably humid. You and I may be well-adapted to 100+ temperatures, but for most people, they're a dealbreaker.

Most people find the climate in Southern California to be the gold standard:

It depends on where in southern California.  I believe that on the coast (Santa Monica, Malibu, Newport Beach, etc) is that mild all year long.  But places like Borrego Springs, Thermal, Needles, Imperial, Blythe, etc are the hottest places in North America (if not the world) as per the law of averages, with sometimes cold winter days. 

In your case, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are quite unique in that it averages nearly 20 days with triple-digits highs and nearly 20 days of below freezing highs. And pretty much any place in the Southern Great Plains that is Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, and Kansas expects to see many days of both of those extremes every year -- again as per the law of averages.

It's not quite that bad, Tulsa averages 10.8 days above 100 a year and 8 days with the high below freezing. Oklahoma City is 11 and 7.

To Compare Dallas has 23 days above 100 and 1 day with the high below freezing. To me that is worse than Tulsa or Oklahoma City.
Austin has 29 days above 100 with 1 day with the high below freezing.
Kansas City only has 3 days above 100 but 26 days with highs below freezing.

Scott5114

We've just brainwashed ourselves into thinking it's not that bad. People who have lived elsewhere think we're crazy for putting up with it. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

swake

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 07:33:22 PM
We've just brainwashed ourselves into thinking it's not that bad. People who have lived elsewhere think we're crazy for putting up with it. :D

Well, this year is that bad. That's really true.

But the worst is when it's 100 in places like Seattle or Philly when so many homes don't have air conditioning.

Max Rockatansky

Climate acclimation is actually a thing to a certain extent.  People in Arizona used to call it "your blood thinning out"  when it was in actuality your perception of heat or acclimation to heat changing over time.

index

I remember spending just over a week in British Columbia in 2017. I got pretty acclimated to the chilly summer temperatures, then when I touched back down in Charlotte and got off the plane, the heat and humidity almost felt like a slap in the face. I have no idea how I ever put up with that for so long, but now I'm used to it again.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Ted$8roadFan

In the Greater Boston area, it will (hopefully) be on Tuesday. 

Ted$8roadFan

I was (sort of) right; the heat advisory in southern New England was extended to Monday night, and just now to Tuesday night.

Bruce

Heat Advisory in effect until Monday night for the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area and quite a bit of the Cascades. I'm just in the clear but it's still too warm.

jgb191

^  Lucky for you Bruce, even during the Pacific Northwest's version of a "heat wave" (so to speak), your lows will drop into the frigid 50s at night, giving you ample cool down.  Y'all really don't need air condition, but sounds like you probably need to use the heater most (if not all) of the year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

US 89

Quote from: jgb191 on August 08, 2022, 05:53:43 PM
^  Lucky for you Bruce, even during the Pacific Northwest's version of a "heat wave" (so to speak), your lows will drop into the frigid 50s at night, giving you ample cool down.  Y'all really don't need air condition, but sounds like you probably need to use the heater most (if not all) of the year.

You're talking to the guy who whines when the sun is out and it's more than 70 degrees  :-D

Max Rockatansky

The last time there was 100F in Washington the amount of calls to the local OSHA office skyrocketed.  Apparently most of them were regarding most businesses not providing employees air conditioning.  Basically if an employer was providing adequate rest periods and water breaks there really wasn't any violation or need for an inspection.

Bruce

Nope, I have my windows open overnight for most of the summer and early fall. The urban heat island effect is real and the long long summer days means it takes well until after midnight to reach a comfortable sleeping temperature.

Quote from: US 89 on August 08, 2022, 06:29:02 PM
You're talking to the guy who whines when the sun is out and it's more than 70 degrees  :-D

Hey now, I do like me some sun. Just not when it's also heating things up.  :bigass:

An ideal day for me would be sunny with scattered clouds (but not near the horizon) in the low to mid 70s.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 08, 2022, 06:38:27 PM
The last time there was 100F in Washington the amount of calls to the local OSHA office skyrocketed.  Apparently most of them were regarding most businesses not providing employees air conditioning.  Basically if an employer was providing adequate rest periods and water breaks there really wasn't any violation or need for an inspection.

Residential AC is still rare for older buildings, so I imagine many smaller businesses might also be behind the curve in adopting ACs. I've walked into some convenience stores and chain stores with weak or non-existent AC.

hotdogPi

August 10 and several (but not all) days afterward will be below the average of 83°, so that makes 30 days (July 11 to August 9) where 28 of the 30 had a high above average.

Then the heat will stop. This still won't fix the drought, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Ted$8roadFan

In the Boston area, today promises to be the last day of the heat wave.

CapeCodder

This heat reminds me of the Summer of '95. I spent that summer in St. Louis with my grandparents (moms side.) The days were brutal, nights more so; the thunderstorm outbreaks that whole summer in St. Louis were legendary. That summer culminated with the road trip back to the east coast that introduced me to the weirdness that is Breezewood.

webny99

My the answer to the thread title is "today, finally!"

Down to the upper 60's this morning and low 70's today.. but it feels even cooler than that after how hot and muggy it's been.

Billy F 1988

The hot streak of 90's and 100's officially ended last Wednesday in Missoula, but, there's a bonus, which doesn't surprise me. Only a few more days and by next Friday, I'm projecting this to be completely done and over with! We've been hot and dry since about July 7th, which is around 44 days from when the heat wave began. Missoula finally broke out of the hot streak on the 24th of August with mid 80's on Friday, then mid-70's on Saturday and Sunday. That brief rain shower helped end that streak.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kphoger

Wichita precipitation totals:
5/24/2022 — 6/1/2022 – 9 days – 8.97 inches of rain
6/28/2022 — 8/27/2022 – 61 days – 1.14 inches of rain

Wichita high temperatures, from 6/30/2022 through 8/31/2022:
6 days – < 90°F
36 days – 90s °F
20 days – 100s °F
average – 95.6°F

We still have high temperatures in the 90s predicted through the 9th.

People here don't realize that, in other parts of the country, it isn't normal to have both a sprinkler system and a sump pump...

ETA:    During all of July and August, I only mowed the lawn one time.  And it still isn't tall enough to mow, really.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 09, 2022, 10:13:45 AM
This heat reminds me of the Summer of '95. I spent that summer in St. Louis with my grandparents (moms side.) The days were brutal, nights more so; the thunderstorm outbreaks that whole summer in St. Louis were legendary. That summer culminated with the road trip back to the east coast that introduced me to the weirdness that is Breezewood.

Yes, I've been reminded of 1995 as well.  Though apparently for Philadelphia, August this year was the hottest August on record.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2022, 02:25:11 PMWichita precipitation totals:

5/24/2022 — 6/1/2022 – 9 days – 8.97 inches of rain
6/28/2022 — 8/27/2022 – 61 days – 1.14 inches of rain

Wichita high temperatures, from 6/30/2022 through 8/31/2022:

6 days – < 90°F
36 days – 90s °F
20 days – 100s °F
average – 95.6°F

We still have high temperatures in the 90s predicted through the 9th.

People here don't realize that, in other parts of the country, it isn't normal to have both a sprinkler system and a sump pump...

ETA:    During all of July and August, I only mowed the lawn one time.  And it still isn't tall enough to mow, really.

I mow the lawn more frequently, but since July 15 have mowed once every two weeks rather than weekly.  We have a mixed fescue/bermuda lawn with much more tree shade in back than in front, and while the fescue in back has barely needed to be mowed, the bermuda in front really loves the heat and has been going wild.

This has also been a bad year for saplings.

Edit:  Apropos of the topic of this thread, I do not expect daily maximum dewpoints to be consistently below 60° F until the final third of this month.  Last year they crossed this particular threshold on September 21.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.