News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Things non-roadgeeks get wrong about roads that bother you

Started by index, June 22, 2022, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

My biggest pet peeve is when they call any old road an Interstate. No, you're not on the Interstate when you're on a two lane city street infested with traffic lights or any long distance highway. Too many people I know do that.

Of course, I don't actually interrupt and correct them because nobody wants to be that person. I just seethe inside.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

skluth

That's strange. When I lived in the Midwest, most people just referred to them as "Highway (insert number here)," both in Wisconsin and in St Louis. In California, it's just "The (insert number)" for most highways. Unnumbered streets were just "the street" or "the road," though I have heard busy streets called highways on occasion. Never heard anything but an interstate called an interstate.

SkyPesos

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 22, 2022, 08:31:51 PM
Calling interstates and US routes "state routes".

I find a lot of people around here thinking state roads are county roads.

Last winter, someone took to their community's Facebook page to complain the State DOT trucks weren't plowing business parking lots!  (That person was corrected by a whole lot of people)

Max Rockatansky

Not knowing the difference between US, Interstate and State routes.  Not having a good general sense of direction.  Not understanding how driving can be fun and why someone wouldn't take the most direct route to places.

NWI_Irish96

What I get a lot more is people confusing US and state highways. Interstates are freeways and have blue/red shields. US and state highways (around here) are almost always non-freeways and have black and white shields.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2022, 09:00:45 PM
Not understanding how driving can be fun and why someone wouldn't take the most direct route to places.

Pretty much this.

99% of the time, the distinction between route types is essentially minutiae to everyone else.

Bruce

Being 100% reliant on the GPS screen, even when it doesn't make sense.

For example: a recent ride in the Tesla with friends was made a bit more perilous when the in-car GPS navigated us down a gravel road with giant potholes instead of the nice paved state highway nearby, but we didn't realize until it was too late.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on June 22, 2022, 09:28:36 PM

For example: a recent ride in the Tesla with friends was made a bit more perilous when the in-car GPS navigated us down a gravel road with giant potholes instead of the nice paved state highway nearby, but we didn't realize until it was too late.

Did you end up on Bald Hills Road?

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2022, 09:33:22 PM

This was over near Mount Hood, actually. Never got that far south in Redwoods Country.

hbelkins

"Federal routes"

No, this isn't another gratuitous swipe at Calrog, although there's nothing wrong with that. Very few routes are actually owned or maintained by the federal government.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on June 22, 2022, 10:05:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2022, 09:33:22 PM

This was over near Mount Hood, actually. Never got that far south in Redwoods Country.

The one I'm referring to connects US 101 to eastern CA 169 and CA 96 via the Lady Bird Johnson Trail.  It wouldn't surprise me if a GPS recommended it over CA 299 given it is mostly a quality gravel road through Redwood National Park. 

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on June 22, 2022, 10:26:03 PM
"Federal routes"

No, this isn't another gratuitous swipe at Calrog, although there's nothing wrong with that. Very few routes are actually owned or maintained by the federal government.
They pay for a heckuva lot of it, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on June 22, 2022, 10:26:03 PM
"Federal routes"

Unless you're in Mexico, where they're actually called that.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

I've actually seen the "federal route" terminology on the title sheets of state DOT construction plans sets.

I don't say anything unless it cannot be avoided, but it bothers me when civilians use the term highway as a synonym for freeway in a way that suggests they think non-freeways cannot be highways.  "I-135 or US 77?  I'll take the highway."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

Calling US 17, 92, and 441 in the Orlando area just by US 441 or four forty-one.

Most people think that US 17 & 92 terminate at FL 50 in Orlando including the signing contractor for the I-4 ultimate who signs the Colonial Drive exit solely as FL SR 50 despite the original signs had both US 17 & 92 on them and the fact contractors or engineers like to copy verbatim wording on guidesigns.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

Quote from: skluth on June 22, 2022, 08:30:11 PM
That's strange. When I lived in the Midwest, most people just referred to them as "Highway (insert number here)," both in Wisconsin and in St Louis. In California, it's just "The (insert number)" for most highways. Unnumbered streets were just "the street" or "the road," though I have heard busy streets called highways on occasion. Never heard anything but an interstate called an interstate.
It's pronounced "Hwy"! :bigass:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 23, 2022, 01:11:50 AM
I've actually seen the "federal route" terminology on the title sheets of state DOT construction plans sets.

What?  Where?

I can see "federal-aid route" or "federal-aid eligible" or something along those lines, but "federal route"?  That's just weird.

In NY, we mainly just refer to "Rt 13" or "I-81" and the very old state highway designations.  For some reason, we're frustratingly inconsistent with U.S. highways.  You'll mostly see just references to "Rt 20" rather than "US 20," as an example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

They are state highways.  They just aren't "state routes".  Think about that.  Now who's not being sensible?

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 23, 2022, 01:11:50 AM
it bothers me when civilians use the term highway as a synonym for freeway in a way that suggests they think non-freeways cannot be highways.

Don't go over to the Skyscrapercity road forums, then.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on June 23, 2022, 09:44:42 AM

They are state highways.  They just aren't "state routes".  Think about that.  Now who's not being sensible?

They're state *maintained*. Still not a state route.

zzcarp

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2022, 09:00:45 PM
Not knowing the difference between US, Interstate and State routes (or highways).  Not having a good general sense of direction.  Not understanding how driving can be fun and why someone wouldn't take the most direct route to places.

Not knowing the difference between the route types bugs me. A Facebook friend this morning posted she got into an accident on "I-36" (referring to the US 36 Boulder Turnpike freeway). And, no, I didn't correct her.

Even worse is when CDOT's media people screw up the highway classifications. They recently referred to construction on CO 285 when it really is US 285. I did comment on that one and CDOT said they'd change the release.

And, as an engineer, I always notice when surveys and plans mischaracterize a route type. It seems like if we're in the industry, we should work to distinguish between the highway classifications.

It depends where you are. I grew up in Ohio, and we called them US Routes (like US Route 20) or State Routes (State Route 60). Here in Colorado, we colloquially refer to them as highways (like US Highway 36 or State Highway 2). Either way, unless it's written down, laypeople tend to just drop the US/State distinction and just say Route 20 (in Ohio) or Highway 6 (in Colorado).
So many miles and so many roads

US 89

The news stations in Salt Lake will often report on events that occurred on "SR-6"  or "SR-40"  or "SR-89" . Those are US highways. Drives me up the wall. KSL is especially guilty of this but I've seen it on all of them.

At least I've never seen a UDOT media release mess that up. That said, the state does have its share of US/SR sign errors, which are not numerous by any means but also not too hard to come across.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2022, 09:00:45 PMNot having a good general sense of direction.  Not understanding how driving can be fun and why someone wouldn't take the most direct route to places.

Interestingly, those two things often oppose each other. People might not take the most direct route precisely because they don't have a good sense of direction. So they could understand why you might not take the most direct route, but their understanding would be very different than a roadgeek's understanding.

Ironically, this creates a bit of a dilemma sometimes when I don't want to take the fastest way, since everyone assumes I'm always looking for the shortest/fastest route and know the best way to get pretty much anywhere. That doesn't leave much opportunity to take different routes since people don't seem to understand intentionally taking a longer route. If you're just bad at directions and don't know your way around, you can take a longer route and nobody complains, but I can't use that excuse!

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 23, 2022, 10:00:45 AM

They're state *maintained*. Still not a state route.

And state owned and operated.

Quote from: FHWA:  Interstate Frequently Asked Questions
Who owns it?

The States own and operate the Interstate highways.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

A big one for me is avoidance of freeways because they're slightly longer mileage.

The two default routes on my roughly 11-mile commute are (1) about 50% local roads, 50% freeway, and (2) about 70% local roads, 30% freeway. There's also a third route that's 15 miles, but only about 10% local roads, 10% expressway, and 80% freeway. Time-wise, it's basically a toss-up between all three routes, and I find the majority freeway route more relaxing since you can cruise at 65-70 mph most of the way instead of poking along underposted local roads and invariably ending up stuck behind someone going below my preferred speed and missing most of the lights. So oftentimes, especially in the afternoon, I'll take the majority freeway route. And yet, many people wouldn't even consider that route because it "seems" so much longer and because you have to backtrack to get to/from the freeway. To each their own, but I regard all three routes as perfectly good options even though one is a few miles longer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.