News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why does YouTube always send wrong videos?

Started by roadman65, July 09, 2022, 09:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqlQYBcsq54

I was watching you tube. First I watched a clip of Smokey And The Bandit and then the classic Seinfeld clip. When I went to Share the latter via the share icon, the first one got shared instead.

I've noticed that a lot. You watch several YouTube videos and when you find one you want to share on messenger, you click share and it shares the first of all as the one despite your browser window has the current address in the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSBETDKlUco

Both addresses are the same above, but they were copied and shared from two completely different video pages.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

In_Correct

Quote from: roadman65 on July 09, 2022, 09:49:02 AM

I was watching you tube. First I watched a clip of Smokey And The Bandit and then the classic Seinfeld clip. When I went to Share the latter via the share icon, the first one got shared instead.

I've noticed that a lot. You watch several YouTube videos and when you find one you want to share on messenger, you click share and it shares the first of all as the one despite your browser window has the current address in the box.

Both addresses are the same above, but they were copied and shared from two completely different video pages.

I am not surprised if You Tube is acting up. They have been a very low quality web site since 2016 when The Paper Spinner was introduced. And now every Google and Android product are also infested with Paper Spinners. It should have been opposed immediately. Things should never Spin. An exact percentage is required instead. And The Paper Spinner is the worst Spinner ever. If you do not oppose Big Tech for the inconveniences they provide, they get away with Underworld Crimes.

Currently, your post does not seem to have any errors. Your first link is Seinfeld, and the other two identical links despite your error encountered are All In The Family.

However, I did not try to play the videos. I do not want to encounter Paper Spinners.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Rothman

Quote from: In_Correct on July 09, 2022, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 09, 2022, 09:49:02 AM

I am not surprised if You Tube is acting up. They have been a very low quality web site since 2016 when The Paper Spinner was introduced. And now every Google and Android product are also infested with Paper Spinners. It should have been opposed immediately. Things should never Spin. An exact percentage is required instead. And The Paper Spinner is the worst Spinner ever. If you do not oppose Big Tech for the inconveniences they provide, they get away with Underworld Crimes.

Currently, your post does not seem to have any errors. Your first link is Seinfeld, and the other two identical links despite your error encountered are All In The Family.

However, I did not try to play the videos. I do not want to encounter Paper Spinners.
Wut.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

I think "paper spinner" is referring to the loading screen.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on July 09, 2022, 07:56:12 PM
I think "paper spinner" is referring to the loading screen.
So, the ads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I think he doesn't like that the tech companies have replaced the progress bars of old with rotating circles.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ethanhopkin14

Good, I am not the only one who read that and had no idea what I was reading. 

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on July 09, 2022, 08:49:29 PM
I think he doesn't like that the tech companies have replaced the progress bars of old with rotating circles.

Of course, before we had progress bars, we had the twirling baton. If you output - [backspace] \ [backspace] | [backspace] / [backspace] - ... and so on ... you get a spinning doodad to show that the computer hasn't frozen, using nothing but ASCII text.

I'm not really sure most people understand how hard it is to produce an actually accurate percentage-based progress bar. About the only time one makes sense is if you are performing the same action a known number of times and can update the bar a fixed amount on each loop. If you have anything that depends on the disk, processor speed, or network, forget it–those things can speed up or slow down due to things your program knows nothing about, so the bar is bound to be inaccurate.

My preferred approach is when the program just spouts out a textual description of everything the program is doing. That gives the user an idea of where in the process they are if they've used the program a few times, and if it freezes up, you know what the last thing it was doing when it froze (which can help fix the issue, e.g. you may discover you accidentally fed the program input it doesn't like).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2022, 09:23:32 PM
I'm not really sure most people understand how hard it is to produce an actually accurate percentage-based progress bar. About the only time one makes sense is if you are performing the same action a known number of times and can update the bar a fixed amount on each loop. If you have anything that depends on the disk, processor speed, or network, forget it–those things can speed up or slow down due to things your program knows nothing about, so the bar is bound to be inaccurate.

Typically, estimated times on my Mac in the 5-minute to 1-hour range (downloads, software updates, etc.) go down accurately at a rate of one minute per minute after the first few minutes where it overestimates the time. Once I see it go down at the rate it should, I accurately know how long it will take.

Battery percentage, on the other hand, isn't accurate at all. On both my phone and my computer, it effectively goes up to 110% where it takes longer to fill up the last few percent and keeping it plugged in at 100% will allow it to remain at 100% for several minutes compared to unplugging as soon as it hits 100%, going up or down 1-2% as a result of plugging in or unplugging (it can go either direction for either action), sometimes going up when I close a resource-intensive program, claiming to go down a whole lot on my phone (this is phone only) and then remaining at the same number until the actual percentage drops to what it claims it is, Siri not refilling my battery when I tell her to...
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

In_Correct

Google's Spinner has a name: The Paper Spinner. They previously used The Ajax Spinner until 2016. The fact that nobody seems to know about that is an alarming serious problem. And Big Tech prefers to devote their resources towards developing Spinners and other things instead of actually functioning web pages, which is why Roadman65 encountered an error.

In fact, The Paper Spinner is so ludicrous, that it is actually not even a simple ring shape. It is an amalgamation of numerous bent lines arranged next to each other with a frame on top.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2022, 09:23:32 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 09, 2022, 08:49:29 PM

Of course, before we had progress bars, we had the twirling baton. If you output - [backspace] \ [backspace] | [backspace] / [backspace] - ... and so on ... you get a spinning doodad to show that the computer hasn't frozen, using nothing but ASCII text.

My preferred approach is when the program just spouts out a textual description of everything the program is doing. That gives the user an idea of where in the process they are if they've used the program a few times, and if it freezes up, you know what the last thing it was doing when it froze (which can help fix the issue, e.g. you may discover you accidentally fed the program input it doesn't like).

It was posted while I typed mine. I remember and miss the Buffering with a % included. And if there is a Margin Of Error, there is the MorphOS Developers ( "ASiegel" and "Fab" and "jacadcaps" ... probably André Siegel and Fabien Coeurjoly and Jacek Piszczek. ) that made Web Browsers (Odyssey and Wayfarer) that deliberately do not conform to goofy and often disfigured clip art dancing around if there are connection errors. Instead, Odyssey and Wayfarer have an array of what is supposed to be L.E.D.s that tell you every thing you need to know.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

Okay, I want to see your progress bar algorithm if you've got all figured out, then.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

In_Correct

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2022, 10:53:36 PM
Okay, I want to see your progress bar algorithm if you've got all figured out, then.

I was mainly typing about your third paragraph. I shall try to message them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.