News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How do you make pancakes?

Started by kirbykart, July 20, 2022, 02:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

I just watched a YouTube video about pancake hacks, that inspired this question.
Instead of buttermilk, I use milk and 1 tbsp white vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes.
You know to flip the pancake when bubbles start forming on the edges.
What are your tricks for making pancakes?

golden eagle

I buy the instant kind (Pearl Milling, Hungry Jack, etc.) in which you just add water. I flip them when the bubbles start to form.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

GaryV

skluth

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

They already aren't made and hot? They just appear on a plate in front of me.

on_wisconsin

Follow recipe, cook as directed, taste, toss in trash, drive to nearest diner with good'ish reviews...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Max Rockatansky

My wife enters the kitchen and suddenly pancakes appear out of the ether.

CapeCodder

When I don't have pancake mix, I use yellow cake mix.

triplemultiplex

I push the button and they plop out the conveyor belt at the end.

But it only works at a Holiday Inn Express.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Road Hog

Road Hog

McD's Big Breakfast is a good value. You get the pancakes, hash brown, sausage (or bacon for a little extra), biscuit, syrup and butter, and a coffee for under $10. But if you wanted to make your own pancakes, it's super easy.

kirbykart

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 20, 2022, 12:48:40 PM
Follow recipe, cook as directed, taste, toss in trash, drive to nearest diner with good'ish reviews...
This is the funniest post on this thread. Not just getting pancakes somewhere, but actually making the pancakes, then throwing them away and going to a diner, now that is an incredible amount of wasted effort.

US 89

The best pancakes I've had are a modified version of the "light and fluffy" recipe that used to be included on the Bisquick box. Add some chocolate chips or blueberries if you want to mix things up a bit.

2 cups bisquick, 1 1/4 cups milk, 1 egg, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla. (Is it bad that I have that memorized?)

TheHighwayMan3561

I make no secret that I don't like breakfast foods and rarely crave them, but the pancakes that come to mind that I enjoy are:
-the Pannekoeken Huis in St. Louis Park, MN
-Short Stack Eatery in Madison, WI

I admit I liked Denny's new recipe with a sweet flavor they added in from a few years back.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

I just use a mix, usually the store brand from Aldi. I usually make them pan sized. Two ladles of batter fill up the pan. Cook on one side until the edges get dry and bubbles start to form. Slide the spatula under the whole cake to loosen it from the pan, then quickly flip. Cook about another minute and it's done.

Rothman

Actually, I just had them appear at my hotel room door today.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jgb191

Are 'flapjacks' similar to pancakes or a certain type of pancakes?
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Big John

Quote from: jgb191 on July 23, 2022, 11:19:51 PM
Are 'flapjacks' similar to pancakes or a certain type of pancakes?
In America, they mean the same thing. But in England, flapjacks are completely different.

cjk374

I use a recipe from a very old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that uses bacon drippings as an ingredient. You won't believe the difference it makes. YUM!!!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kirbykart

Quote from: cjk374 on July 24, 2022, 09:54:41 AM
I use a recipe from a very old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that uses bacon drippings as an ingredient. You won't believe the difference it makes. YUM!!!
That actually sounds really, really good! I'll have to try that sometime.

wxfree

My grandmother made the best buttermilk pancakes.  I watched her make them, but I don't know how to do it.  There was no recipe.  It requires an old and experience cook throwing in some of this and some of that and just knowing that it's right.  She used an iron skillet and shortening, so they were slightly fried.  Bacon fat would be good for that.

I just use buttermilk recipe mix, and add buttermilk instead of water.  The batter comes out thick, but my grandmother always made it thick, too.  She'd pour it in and spread it with a spoon because it didn't spread quickly like regular pancake batter.  Mine come out pretty good, but not quite as good.  I used nonstick pans without oil, but a few years ago I got my first iron skillet, so I need to try using it and some bacon fat to add a little frying.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.