News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest town names in your state

Started by kirbykart, July 21, 2022, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 23, 2022, 01:54:02 AM
MN, like the bland meatloaf and mashed potatoes state it is, has nothing fun to offer.

Fertile is a quite funny name for a town

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2022, 06:14:10 PM
Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2022, 05:50:08 PM
The funniest name in California is a small mountain, Nellies Nipple.

But was that an actual town site or just a mining claim?  That part of the Sierras never really had much beyond Havilah as far as inhabited places.

It's not a town. It's a small mountain. I first saw it, or more correctly my friend Paul showed it to me in an atlas, when I was in high school in Wisconsin in the 70s. We thought it hysterical and made bad jokes like what happened to the other one but we were teenagers.

kirbykart

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 23, 2022, 10:56:16 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on July 23, 2022, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 22, 2022, 10:09:45 PM
Blue Cloud (aren't all clouds blue?)
Go look at a cloud. Is it blue? No, real clouds, and not just drawings, are white.
Eyyyyy now, easy there. Just be lucky today you ain't seeing red clouds!  :D Just a silly thought that wasn't meant to be answered.
I wasn't meaning to sound aggressive, sorry if it came through that way.

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 23, 2022, 03:04:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 23, 2022, 02:35:58 AM
MN, like the bland meatloaf and mashed potatoes state it is, has nothing fun to offer.
Duluth.

What's funny about Duluth's name? (Other than the people who satirically pronounce it "Dul-OOT" in a mocking Minnesota accent)
Defensive, are we?  Perhaps that's the issue here:  Minnesotans are offended by the names of their municipalities being considered funny-sounding...or so used to them that they all sound normal.

Cloquet. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2022, 10:59:13 AM
Quote from: Big John on July 23, 2022, 10:54:56 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2022, 10:52:14 AM

Minnehaha, quite literally.  :biggrin:

County in South Dakota.

Also a waterfall and adjacent neighborhood in Minneapolis (not technically a town name, I know...)
And a steamer on Lake George

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kirbykart on July 23, 2022, 11:28:47 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 23, 2022, 10:56:16 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on July 23, 2022, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 22, 2022, 10:09:45 PM
Blue Cloud (aren't all clouds blue?)
Go look at a cloud. Is it blue? No, real clouds, and not just drawings, are white.
Eyyyyy now, easy there. Just be lucky today you ain't seeing red clouds!  :D Just a silly thought that wasn't meant to be answered.
I wasn't meaning to sound aggressive, sorry if it came through that way.
No worries. I've had that happen before.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: skluth on July 22, 2022, 05:50:08 PM
The funniest name in California is a small mountain, Nellies Nipple.

How cool would it be to have a red blinkylight on top of it that gets brighter the colder it gets?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Beavis & Butthead do a great job of finding funny place names when they're on the bus.

Not sure what states these are in but: Big Piney, Weippe, Meteetsee (?). Personal favorites that I've been to is Baggs, WY, followed closely by Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
clinched:

kurumi

In CT, it's probably Mianus, which gained notoriety in 1983 for the I-95 bridge collapse
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

wriddle082

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 23, 2022, 07:03:44 AM
Going strictly by town/city name, Massachusetts doesn't have many "funny"  ones IMO since most are old and based in their predecessors in England. Add a Boston/New England accent, and then they can sound funny (Woosta, Meffa, Reveah).....at least to some.

I've always thought Seekonk was kind of funny.  But it's so close to Rhode Island that it might as well be there.  And with all of their "-tucket" s they certainly have a lot of funny place names.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2022, 08:59:21 AM
Los Banos and Gorda in California.   

In Arizona probably I would say currently it would be Why or Tortilla Flat.  Nothing and Total Wreck from the ghost town side always amused me.
There's also Weed, CA that can go up there as California's most funniest town name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed,_California

La Mesa would go up there with Manteca for funniest named cities.

kevinb1994

I'm not sure when it was named, but Florida used to drop the F and went with Lorida for some time.

EDIT: 1937 is the answer. This is in Highlands County, where you got both Lake Placid and Placid Lakes. There's also a Venus in this county.

Nearby Osceola County is home to the famous Yeehaw Junction. It used to actually be known as Jackass Junction! Also in Osceola County are Apoxsee and Narcoosee. Meanwhile, Polk County has Frostproof.

In nearby Pasco County, there's Bayonet Point, and in adjacent Sumter County, there's Croom-A-Coochee.

Lake County has Okahumpka, while Marion County literally is On Top of the World! Marion County also has Early Bird, which I believe is the subject of an Eagles song. There's also a Wacahoota in Marion County, which it shares with Alachua County.

Alachua has a place called Paradise, while adjacent Putnam County has Welaka, in addition to Banana.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on July 23, 2022, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 23, 2022, 03:04:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 23, 2022, 02:35:58 AM
Duluth.

What's funny about Duluth's name? (Other than the people who satirically pronounce it "Dul-OOT" in a mocking Minnesota accent)
Defensive, are we?  Perhaps that's the issue here:  Minnesotans are offended by the names of their municipalities being considered funny-sounding...or so used to them that they all sound normal.

Cloquet. :D

I wasn't offended, maybe it's because I just grew up with these that they're normal to me and I'm desensitized to it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

XamotCGC

Toad Suck Arkansas
Water Proof Louisiana
Little Canada Minnesota
Satan's Kingdom Massachusetts
Ding Dong Texas
Jackpot Nevada
Booger Hole West Virginia
Mormon Bar California 
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

KCRoadFan

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 23, 2022, 02:06:37 PM
Going strictly by town/city name, Massachusetts doesn't have many "funny"  ones IMO since most are old and based in their predecessors in England. Add a Boston/New England accent, and then they can sound funny (Woosta, Meffa, Reveah).....at least to some.

I've always thought Seekonk was kind of funny.  But it's so close to Rhode Island that it might as well be there.  And with all of their "-tucket" s they certainly have a lot of funny place names.

And you haven't even mentioned Belchertown!

kevinb1994

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 23, 2022, 03:38:52 PM

Belcher was going to be the name of the main building at what is now Princeton University (for many years, the College of New Jersey), but Belcher himself said "What a name that would be!" , so it wasn't. Instead, we ended up with Old Nassau, aka Nassau Hall, which shares a name with that stretch of NJ Route 27 in front of it. I'm not sure how the building came to be on one side of a former boundary, however.

US 89

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 23, 2022, 01:25:53 PM
Beavis & Butthead do a great job of finding funny place names when they're on the bus.

Not sure what states these are in but: Big Piney, Weippe, Meteetsee (?). Personal favorites that I've been to is Baggs, WY, followed closely by Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ

Big Piney is on US 189 in Sublette County, Wyoming and is apparently one of the coldest inhabited places in the lower 48. Though it was hot and dry the day I passed through.

Joseph R P

Here's a handful from Virginia:

Short Pump

Onancock

Tuckahoe

Mechanicsville

Innovation

Bull Run

Wolf Trap

Rothman

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 23, 2022, 03:38:52 PM

That's one I'm desensitized to, since I grew up in the area.  Always have to remind myself of its sillyness.

Then again, Porter Rockwell was from there, which always made some sort of sense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sandwalk

Blue Ball
Center of the World
Funk
Knockemstiff
Kunkle
Pee Pee Township

....Ohio

JayhawkCO

We really don't have any of note in Colorado. We do have a funny river name, Poudre, with the first syllable pronounced like "poo" and the second syllable like the first syllable in "dirty".

Road Hog

Toad Suck in Arkansas is a funny one, but out-of-staters hearing football scores get the biggest giggle out of Bald Knob.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Road Hog on August 05, 2022, 02:39:10 AM
...but out-of-staters hearing football scores get the biggest giggle out of Bald Knob.

West Virginia has its own town of Bald Knob, in Boone County.  But those towns pale in comparison to the real Bald Knob in West Virginia, the third-highest peak in the Allegheny Mountains (and West Virginia) at 4,843 feet above sea level.  It is home to Cass Scenic Railroad [State Park], where you get to ride behind an old Shay logging engine to the top of the mountain.  But my grandfather found the name "Bald Knob" to be really funny (he was bald, and so am I).  At one time, a shorter hill named Bald Knob Lewis County was marked with its elevation on US-19 (the actual elevation is only 1,526 but I don't remember what the road elevation was signed for).  He would laugh and say that "you know, Bald Knob is the second highest mountain in West Virginia".  (Which turned out not to be true, as the Thorny Flats of Cheat Mountain are a mere six feet higher in elevation).

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 03, 2022, 04:28:39 PM
We really don't have any of note in Colorado. We do have a funny river name, Poudre, with the first syllable pronounced like "poo" and the second syllable like the first syllable in "dirty".

That river is 10 feet out my back window. Nobody (well, nobody that's from elsewhere, anyway) ever pronounces it right. 'Pooter'. It was a rich joke environment when I was a kid. "Hey, looks like the Poudre's running a little muddy today'. Giggity.

I have a vague idea of the history - something like, some people got stranded and buried a bunch of gunpowder around here, hence the french-sounding term 'cache la poudre'.
clinched:

steviep24

For New York it's hard to beat Coxsackie as funniest town name.

NYC has Hell's Kitchen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.