News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Words or phrases you will never say or repeat

Started by hbelkins, August 04, 2022, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2022, 07:26:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 04, 2022, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on August 04, 2022, 02:56:50 PM
"24/7" though I haven't heard it that much lately.

I hate that one.  Won't repeat it!

The Beatles Channel on XM claims to broadcast 24/8.
That one is a joke, a play on their song Eight Days A Week.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 05, 2022, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2022, 07:26:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 04, 2022, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on August 04, 2022, 02:56:50 PM
"24/7" though I haven't heard it that much lately.

I hate that one.  Won't repeat it!

The Beatles Channel on XM claims to broadcast 24/8.
That one is a joke, a play on their song Eight Days A Week.

Duh!!!!!!!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

A baseball one I can't stand and don't use, but which you'll hear quite a bit from announcers, is "grand slam home run".  Well no kidding.

In a similar vein I recall being reprimanded as a youth for referring to a "hot water heater" and have never repeated that error.

thspfc

"F*ck [insert thing here]"

You're not edgy or different because you said a bad word. Swearing does not improve your argument or make a point. And expressing disapproval for something without giving a reason is silly.

Almost everyone (including myself) has been guilty of this at some point or another (bad word or otherwise). And it's not much better if it's with good intentions. "F*ck cancer" ? Wow really? Good thing we know this guy's stance on cancer now.

(not a phrase, but I feel like it fits in this thread) putting Ukraine stickers on your car or flying a Ukraine flag from your house (unless you're from there or whatever). You don't have to pretend to care. No Ukrainian citizens are going to be comforted by your bumper sticker. Russia won't stop invading because Karen put a sticker on her Subaru. And again - you disapprove of a dangerous imperialist dictatorship? No way! How brave!

kernals12

Big John

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on August 05, 2022, 07:41:35 PM

You're not edgy or different because you said a bad word. Swearing does not improve your argument or make a point. And expressing disapproval for something without giving a reason is silly.

Almost everyone (including myself) has been guilty of this at some point or another (bad word or otherwise). And it's not much better if it's with good intentions. "F*ck cancer" ? Wow really? Good thing we know this guy's stance on cancer now.

No big surprise here, a hard agree from me with regard to profanity.

Weirdly though, I don't feel as strongly about the F cancer bumper sticker with the sideways pink ribbon in place of the -ck. That's kind of unique and cool enough that it somewhat cancels out the unnecessary nature of the profanity.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: ran4sh on August 05, 2022, 03:28:04 PM
The main reason to spell COVID with special characters or numerals is to evade the censorship that some social media websites apply to posts that are about covid. That, imo, is a reasonable usage

Precisely that is one term I avoid just because I don't like it. I use "coronavirus" instead, and I plan to change to "2020's coronavirus" in the short to mid term.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 06, 2022, 08:33:57 AM
The main reason to spell COVID with special characters or numerals is to evade the censorship that some social media websites apply to posts that are about covid. That, imo, is a reasonable usage

Precisely that is one term I avoid just because I don't like it. I use "coronavirus" instead, and I plan to change to "2020's coronavirus" in the short to mid term.

Funny, I just noticed it is being referred to now as COVID, and no longer COVID19. 

Scott5114

Fuck your post.

(not a phrase, but I feel like it fits in this thread) putting Ukraine stickers on your car or flying a Ukraine flag from your house (unless you're from there or whatever). You don't have to pretend to care. No Ukrainian citizens are going to be comforted by your bumper sticker. Russia won't stop invading because Karen put a sticker on her Subaru. And again - you disapprove of a dangerous imperialist dictatorship? No way! How brave!

I've actually been following some Ukrainian discussion boards on Reddit, and the response from Ukrainian citizens when displays of support in other countries are posted is overwhelmingly positive. It improves morale, because seeing that the American people, and not just the government, support Ukraine means that the government will likely continue supplying the Ukrainians with arms, since the US is nominally a democracy and the government is therefore theoretically likely to act in accordance with a public base of support.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Using "the" in front of a number to refer to a highway or freeway. That's only for buses around these parts.

kirbykart

Quote from: Bruce on August 06, 2022, 03:06:58 PM
Using "the" in front of a number to refer to a highway or freeway. That's only for buses around these parts.
That's what everyone does in Buffalo, NY. "Get on the 90, head down the 33 into Downtown, then get on the Skyway." I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it either.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2022, 02:48:12 PM
(not a phrase, but I feel like it fits in this thread) putting Ukraine stickers on your car or flying a Ukraine flag from your house (unless you’re from there or whatever). You don’t have to pretend to care. No Ukrainian citizens are going to be comforted by your bumper sticker. Russia won’t stop invading because Karen put a sticker on her Subaru. And again - you disapprove of a dangerous imperialist dictatorship? No way! How brave!

I've actually been following some Ukrainian discussion boards on Reddit, and the response from Ukrainian citizens when displays of support in other countries are posted is overwhelmingly positive. It improves morale, because seeing that the American people, and not just the government, support Ukraine means that the government will likely continue supplying the Ukrainians with arms, since the US is nominally a democracy and the government is therefore theoretically likely to act in accordance with a public base of support.

I don't dislike it, but it does have a bit of a "look at me" angle to it.  I want to show I care about Ukraine, even though before they were invaded I couldn't point it out on a map, so I will change my Facebook profile to have the Ukrainian flag as my profile picture.  It's mostly for that person's friends to see how much they "care".  Maybe there are some out there that genuinely care, but it seems like the people I know and see will change their profiles to whatever is the hot topic of the month/year.  When Paris got bombed, everyone was throwing French flags on their Facebook profiles.  Now those same people have the Ukrainian flag on their profile and forgot all about their "love" for the Parisians.  I know these people I know don't really care in the way you are explaining.  I am glad that I does help morale. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: kirbykart on August 06, 2022, 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 06, 2022, 03:06:58 PM
That's what everyone does in Buffalo, NY. "Get on the 90, head down the 33 into Downtown, then get on the Skyway." I don't hate it, but I wouldn't say I love it either.

From what I understand, that's due to proximity to Ontario, which does it regularly. However, I've only heard this for Buffalo, not Detroit.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

That's to stop the misinformation that goes along with it, not the COVID-19 itself.

If you mention it's a respiratory disease which requires a degree of caution (and so forth), that's not going to be censored. Mention it was caused by the conjunction of Bohemian Space Capacitor Operators and the Lizard People funded by Particle Man, and maybe it's a step too far when the alternative is plunging bleach into your veins.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on August 06, 2022, 08:46:53 PM

That's to stop the misinformation that goes along with it, not the COVID-19 itself.

If you mention it's a respiratory disease which requires a degree of caution (and so forth), that's not going to be censored. Mention it was caused by the conjunction Bohemian Space Capacitor Operators and the Lizard People funded by Particle Man, and maybe it's a step too far when the alternative is plunging bleach into your veins.

Life in general would be so much more interesting if there were hostile Lizard People running around engineering up havoc behind the scenes.  It sure would make trips to Denver International Airport way more fun. 

vdeane

^ Soon they shall fulfill the prophecy and become the true rulers of the world!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7tZ2z9krE
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ibthebigd

The word Dude irks me.

Especially when someone is mad at you.

SM-G996U

roadman65

Capture or Caption.  Apparently it pisses two people off on the forum if I choose the wrong word of the two.  In fact one of the two accused me of trolling him and said I use caption over capture to purposely irk him.

The fact is there is no ruling that your grammar has to be one hundred percent, as long as it's not political or offensive.

So I try not to use either one cause I can't help be uninformed of usage on a forum trolled by grammar and punctuation geeks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2022, 10:41:36 PM
Capture or Caption.  Apparently it pisses two people off on the forum if I choose the wrong word of the two.  In fact one of the two accused me of trolling him and said I use caption over capture to purposely irk him.

The fact is there is no ruling that your grammar has to be one hundred percent, as long as it's not political or offensive.

So I try not to use either one cause I can't help be uninformed of usage on a forum trolled by grammar and punctuation geeks.

A key feature of the English language is that all words mean the same thing, so they can be interchanged freely with no loss of meaning. Demilitarizing cawing externalizes ecopoetic cakes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 06, 2022, 09:29:31 PM
Quote from: formulanone on August 06, 2022, 08:46:53 PM

If you mention it's a respiratory disease which requires a degree of caution (and so forth), that's not going to be censored. Mention it was caused by the conjunction Bohemian Space Capacitor Operators and the Lizard People funded by Particle Man, and maybe it's a step too far when the alternative is plunging bleach into your veins.

Life in general would be so much more interesting if there were hostile Lizard People running around engineering up havoc behind the scenes.  It sure would make trips to Denver International Airport way more fun. 

There's enough well-meaning, greedy, lazy, and ignorant folk (sometimes we all tread that envelope) to which there's really no room to blame anyone else; throw in acts of nature, and we're set for random chaos.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Illinois isn't flat...

On a more serious not I don't picture adopting some SoCal slang that my wife uses.  Inserting "the"  before a highway number seems alien to me but stuff like "I need to go put gas"  and "I'm taking stuff down from the car"  even more so.

LM117

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 08:02:43 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2022, 07:33:35 PM
That one about Brandon (no, not the forum user) that I won't say both because not saying or repeating it is the point of the thread and to avoid a thread lock.

I don't understand why they don't just say what they mean, which is "fuck [politician's name here]". Either the person they are saying it to will know what they mean and they will come off as too childish and scared to say "fuck", or they won't know what they mean, and they'll come off as completely unhinged ("who is Brandon and why are you rooting for him?").

It started as a way of making fun of NBC during their coverage of a NASCAR race late last year. At one point, a few in the crowd began loudly chanting "Fuck J.B.", and rather than repeat on air what the crowd was really saying, the reporter spun it as "Let's Go, Brandon!, since Brandon Brown was one of the NASCAR drivers. It quickly became a meme and spread like wildfire. I won't post it here for obvious reasons, but there's videos of it on YouTube.

I'm not defending it, but that's how it started.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.