News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 01, 2022, 05:36:43 PM...and twinning/replacing the bridge over the Delaware River.  The latter was supposed to be prioritized due to a crack found a few years ago.

The NJ Turnpike Authority is in charge of leading large projects with the bridge, and has included that in their current multi-year Capital Project plan.

Crown Victoria

Looking at the latest Capital Plan, the Total Reconstruction map, and the various pages for the I-95/Turnpike interchange, it looks like Sections A, C, and D30 are due for construction as soon as next year. This would involve widening of the Turnpike from the Bensalem interchange to I-95.

As far as the missing movements at the interchange itself, we may still wait a while...

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/i-95-interchange-project/design-construction-details/section-a
https://files.paturnpike.com/production/docs/default-source/resources/traveling-resources/total-recon-map-march-2022.pdf?sfvrsn=d9cf9a14_11
https://files.paturnpike.com/production/docs/default-source/resources/investor-relations/capital-plan/fy23-capital-plan.pdf?sfvrsn=fe252d1a_4 (look for I-95 Stage 2 under Interchanges)

bluecountry

Quote from: famartin on November 24, 2021, 11:50:31 AM
I'd rank the ramp pair importance from most to least in this way (only including the incomplete ones):

I-95 SB->I-295 EB and I-295 WB->I-95 NB
I-276 EB->I-95 SB and I-95 NB->I-276 WB
I-295 WB->I-276 WB and I-276 EB->I-295 EB

This is just based on how easy it is to make those movements presently without said ramps.
And these are not happening anytime soon?

famartin

I kinda wish they'd do the ramps from 95 SB to 295 EB/295 WB to 95 NB first... I think its the next most needed missing move (and it would give me a better alternate route to/from work than the Burlington-Bristol Bridge currently provides  :-D).

Alps

Quote from: famartin on November 07, 2022, 04:00:49 PM
I kinda wish they'd do the ramps from 95 SB to 295 EB/295 WB to 95 NB first... I think its the next most needed missing move (and it would give me a better alternate route to/from work than the Burlington-Bristol Bridge currently provides  :-D).
I think 295 WB to 276 WB and 276 EB to 295 EB would be the next most needed.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Alps on November 07, 2022, 10:32:06 PM

Still, those two movements are handled by US 1, which is a freeway, so the urgency really isn't there.  The only real slowdown is the Bensalem interchange, but that has gotten better now that the interchange construction on US 1 is done.

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 08, 2022, 08:11:54 AM

Still, those two movements are handled by US 1, which is a freeway, so the urgency really isn't there.  The only real slowdown is the Bensalem interchange, but that has gotten better now that the interchange construction on US 1 is done.

Exactly, US 1 provides those, and after the big construction project near Neshaminy Mall is finished, it should function much better, further decreasing the need for 295 WB->276 WB/276 EB->295EB

Alps

Quote from: famartin on November 08, 2022, 10:29:56 AM

Exactly, US 1 provides those, and after the big construction project near Neshaminy Mall is finished, it should function much better, further decreasing the need for 295 WB->276 WB/276 EB->295EB
The 1 ramps always seem to feature chronic backups and 1 is a slog for that bit. So let's see if you're right.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2022, 08:08:02 PM
Quote from: famartin on November 08, 2022, 10:29:56 AM

The 1 ramps always seem to feature chronic backups and 1 is a slog for that bit. So let's see if you're right.

They've widened the interchange and 1 south of the interchange... now they're widening north of the interchange. I think that will help a lot.

jeffandnicole

In a very clear indication that the 95/PA Turnpike Interchange is committed to be completed, the DVRPC (Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission) has on their 4/27/23 Board Meeting Agenda a request to add a $153 Million design and construction phase to design and fully connect I-95, I-295 and I-276 in Pennsylvania and widen to 6 lanes I-276 in the immediate vicinity of this area, collectively known as Stage 2 of the overall interchange project.  (Note:  This money won't pay for the entire interchange and widening; this is just a small part of the overall funding needed.) 

Stage 2 includes the following distinct design/construction sections:
> D30 (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction between the Bensalem Boulevard and I-95 overpasses);
> Section A (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction near the Bensalem Interchange to the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza);
> Section C (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction from the Neshaminy Falls Toll Plaza to the Bensalem Boulevard overpass);
> Section E (Turnpike/US 13 mainline interchange reconstruction and mainline widening to the west); and
> Section D40 (the remaining six ramps of the I-276/I-95/I-295 Interchange and related mainline improvements).

Sections D30, A, and C are progressing through final design. Sections E and D40 completed preliminary design and await identified funding sources for the respective design/construction phases to enable them to proceed. Only Sections D30 and A are anticipated to proceed to the construction phase during the FY2023 TIP.

For more information, and the opportunity to comment publicly if you wish, visit https://www.dvrpc.org/committees/board/11948 and https://www.dvrpc.org/asp/boardcomment/detail.asp?id=3792

Stage 1 was the direct connection of the I-95 ramps which opened several years ago.  There is also a Stage 3 to the project, which is to replace the Delaware River Bridge with a new parallel bridge over the Delaware River, which by this indication is going to be many years away.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2023, 10:38:06 PM
In a very clear indication that the 95/PA Turnpike Interchange is committed to be completed, the DVRPC (Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission) has on their 4/27/23 Board Meeting Agenda a request to add a $153 Million design and construction phase to design and fully connect I-95, I-295 and I-276 in Pennsylvania and widen to 6 lanes I-276 in the immediate vicinity of this area, collectively known as Stage 2 of the overall interchange project.  (Note:  This money won't pay for the entire interchange and widening; this is just a small part of the overall funding needed.) 

Stage 2 includes the following distinct design/construction sections:
> D30 (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction between the Bensalem Boulevard and I-95 overpasses);
> Section A (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction near the Bensalem Interchange to the Neshaminy Falls toll plaza);
> Section C (mainline Turnpike widening and reconstruction from the Neshaminy Falls Toll Plaza to the Bensalem Boulevard overpass);
> Section E (Turnpike/US 13 mainline interchange reconstruction and mainline widening to the west); and
> Section D40 (the remaining six ramps of the I-276/I-95/I-295 Interchange and related mainline improvements).

Sections D30, A, and C are progressing through final design. Sections E and D40 completed preliminary design and await identified funding sources for the respective design/construction phases to enable them to proceed. Only Sections D30 and A are anticipated to proceed to the construction phase during the FY2023 TIP.

For more information, and the opportunity to comment publicly if you wish, visit https://www.dvrpc.org/committees/board/11948 and https://www.dvrpc.org/asp/boardcomment/detail.asp?id=3792

Stage 1 was the direct connection of the I-95 ramps which opened several years ago.  There is also a Stage 3 to the project, which is to replace the Delaware River Bridge with a new parallel bridge over the Delaware River, which by this indication is going to be many years away.
public comment: please choose my company for all remaining design work
signed, anonymous

MASTERNC

Doesn't the rather new toll plaza need to be widened since there are only two express lanes and the cash lanes are closed off? Not sure if the room is there (and they just need relocated gantries).

sprjus4

Quote from: MASTERNC on April 18, 2023, 05:49:49 PM
Doesn't the rather new toll plaza need to be widened since there are only two express lanes and the cash lanes are closed off? Not sure if the room is there (and they just need relocated gantries).
They're likely just going to demolish the toll plaza altogether and replace it with all-electronic-tolling gantries.

odditude

Quote from: https://www.dvrpc.org/asp/boardcomment/detail.asp?id=3792
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) has requested that DVRPC amend the FY2023 TIP for Pennsylvania by adding a new I-95, PA Turnpike Interchange Stage 2 project into the TIP, in the amount of $153,000,000 Turnpike (TPK) funding...

the significant part is not just that there's an amendment request, but that the PTC is saying "here's the funding, do the thing"

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 18, 2023, 06:08:28 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on April 18, 2023, 05:49:49 PM
They're likely just going to demolish the toll plaza altogether and replace it with all-electronic-tolling gantries.
It's too bad that they didn't have the foresight to make the gantries wide enough for a wider turnpike.  Then they could have just left them as-is, demolish the cash booths, and put some barrier down, with no new toll equipment needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MASTERNC

The D30 contract is now advertised for bidding by late July

ctnaes

Did they get the I-295 re-designation right? I've read through a good amount of this thread and I know it has been debated. But, after a few years what do we think about I-295 from Bristol, PA up through US-1 in NJ?

Was the choice to go E-W in PA and then N-S in NJ at the old I-95 correct? I can't help but think extending I-195 west made the most sense which was originally planned back in 2012. While it would be confusing to hop on I-195 west to go from Hamilton to US-1, is that any less confusing from going on I-295 north from US-1 to the Scudder Falls Bridge? Also, I-295 in PA from the I-95 interchange to the Delaware River runs N-S.

Ultimately, I think starting I-195 east after the I-95 interchange and running all the way to the Monmouth County shore points made sense. It would give a direct route to Bucks County drivers to the shore. And you wouldn't need the direction change once you crossed over into PA. I wonder why they ditched this idea.

Do you like how they handled it?

jeffandnicole

While some people never liked the use of E-W in PA, good luck finding a single person who has gotten lost because of it.

The Ghostbuster

This may have already been addressed, but do they have a timeline of when the remaining ramps of the Interstate 95/Interstate 276/Interstate 295 interchange might be constructed?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 18, 2024, 11:10:46 AM
This may have already been addressed, but do they have a timeline of when the remaining ramps of the Interstate 95/Interstate 276/Interstate 295 interchange might be constructed?

Yeah, in the Year 3000. lol.

But seriously, I haven't heard anything on this subject as of late.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 18, 2024, 10:03:03 PM

Yeah, in the Year 3000. lol.

But seriously, I haven't heard anything on this subject as of late.

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/i-95-interchange-project/design-construction-details/section-d40

https://dvrpc.org/tip/pa/map/notmapped/119730?lat=40.06391944331955&lng=-74.77794233387465&z=9.83517609358057

Basically, "Funds still need to be identified" is why the remaining 6 ramps haven't been built.

We all know funds have been diverted from the Turnpike to mass transit agencies such as SEPTA. I imagine the politicians in the Philly area aren't pushing for the project to be completed knowing they're already the recipient of the funds...they're just diverted to mass transit usage in the area instead.

Alps

I've heard that phase 2 (of 3) is getting funded right now, but I don't know how far that funding extends.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.