News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How driverless cars could kill the speeding ticket — and rob your city

Started by cpzilliacus, January 24, 2016, 11:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Road Hog on February 03, 2016, 02:31:53 PM
Only a good guy with a crotch rocket can stop a bad guy with a crotch rocket.

Or a good guy with a radio and support.  Sorry to ruin your spiffy quote though.

thenetwork

I am a strong anti-crotch rocket person.  Having to hear their loud pipes from a mile away all summer long is a nuisance, much like the loud mega-bass car drivers. (Note to high-school grads:  Audiology is the career of the future because of these fools -- job security).

My proposed ideas for Crotch Rocket offenders:

Over 20 MPH on a non-controlled access highway within a populated area = reckless endangerment to other drivers &/or pedestrians.
     -  First Offense -- $500 fine and confiscation of motorcycle for 60 days.
     -  Second Offense -- $1000 fine, loss of drivers license for 6 months AND surrender of motorcycle (optional:  owner should witness their cycle
         getting crushed at junkyard).  If they still owe money on their bike, too bad, you still owe your creditor!!!

If police have a video or photo proof of violator, they may have the right to ticket cycle owner or confiscate the owner's cycle at a later date at their place of residence or wherever it is found parked. Just because your vehicle can easily go over a certain speed doesn't mean you have the constitutional right to go that fast wherever you want to.

Not sure how I would draft a law regarding the open roads or interstates, but it would be similar.  We have a lot of open roads in my neck of the woods, yet they want to show off and be seen on the main drags. Depending on where they are (high-traffic or pedestrian area), they can be more dangerous than a drunk driver.

Yes, they will complain that they are being singled out on the road, and/or claim someone else was riding their bike, but then if you obey the laws, or don't let others ride your ride, there is no problem, right?  Fines too high?  If they can afford a crotch rocket, they can afford the fine! 

I don't think it is safe to use stop sticks on cycles, so the laws need to have more bite on them specifically.

kkt

One could argue that a car driver driving 20+ over is a much bigger threat to others' life and limb than a motorcycle driver.

SP Cook

You could argue that.  Of course you would be wrong. 

The SL used to be 55.  Today, in some places it is up to 30 "over" that.  Yet, because the junk science that "speed kills" has been disproven, esentually everyone drives 20 or 30 "over" that old rediculous limit.  Safely. 

Because speed does not kill.  As the original point of the Post's article makes, SLs are 100% about $$.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: kkt on February 03, 2016, 04:01:19 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on February 03, 2016, 02:31:53 PM
Only a good guy with a crotch rocket can stop a bad guy with a crotch rocket.

Or a good guy with a radio and support.

How about a good guy and a rope strung up across a roadway at 1-2 feet higher than crotch-height?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: wxfree on February 01, 2016, 11:42:48 PM
We live in a perverse society when government depends on lawlessness to pay the bills.  I've always thought that lawmaking and fine-collecting should be separated, so that fine money does not benefit those who make the laws.

This is a huge complaint of mine as well.  There are people in jail just because they were too poor to pay a parking fine on time plus accrued interest and court costs.  It's downright Dickensian.  Because everyone is too cowardly to properly fund services the way they should (taxes), the problem is shifted to those with the least ability to advocate for themselves.
The kicker is, throwing people in jail for failure to pay fines & court costs winds up costing the taxpayers way, way more than what the court was trying to wring out of their empty pockets.  That is no way to run things.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 05, 2016, 08:31:51 PM
This is a huge complaint of mine as well.  There are people in jail just because they were too poor to pay a parking fine on time plus accrued interest and court costs.  It's downright Dickensian.  Because everyone is too cowardly to properly fund services the way they should (taxes), the problem is shifted to those with the least ability to advocate for themselves.
The kicker is, throwing people in jail for failure to pay fines & court costs winds up costing the taxpayers way, way more than what the court was trying to wring out of their empty pockets.  That is no way to run things.

:clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.