News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AZ 89/Old US 89

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 05, 2019, 02:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: US 89 on November 05, 2019, 12:31:02 AM
California was definitely first in terms of the decommissionings - the four primary east-west US routes in Arizona (66, 60, 70, and 80) all ended at the California line at various times before being further truncated. 89 was the only major Arizona truncation that didn't involve California, but that was comparatively late (1992) and Arizona had just eliminated their section of US 80 a few years prior.

In terms of signage, California is unique among western states in that they will relinquish parts of state routes to local jurisdiction, but it continues to be signed as a state route (in theory). In most of the west, there's little to no distinction between state routes and state maintenance, and routes are never signed on locally maintained roads.

In reality, some instances of CA state signage on local streets do occur -- but those are more often than not limited to "remainder" signage dating from when the state maintained the facility.  If said facility isn't "modified" with such localized favorites as traffic calming provisions or, in some cases, alignment shifts (cf. Hayward), the original signage stands a good chance of remaining intact until it rusts away.  But when such alterations take place, often the locations of the existing signage are removed -- and the signage is rarely re-installed.  Many cities, such as Santa Monica in the L.A. area and my own city, San Jose, simply don't wish to advertise the fact that there is a through route through their midst, so signage simply disappears from relinquished surface streets, despite the almost universal requirement that such signage should remain -- and Caltrans seemingly has little or no intentions of prioritizing any effort to enforce those agreements.   

Exit58

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 04, 2019, 10:40:38 AM
Actually it would have to multiplex I-40 no matter what given much of US 66/US 89 was relinquished to the city long ago..so yes, AZ 89A ends on Milton.  The most efficient route would be AZ 89A to Prescott but the Route Jerome probably wouldn't sit well with engineer types at the AASHTO.  AASHTO aside nobody in ADOT would likely push to pursue extending US 89 again.

I don't see ADOT pushing for it either but it would be nice considering we now have AZ 89, US 89, AZ 89A and US 89A all in northern Arizona.

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 04, 2019, 11:58:19 PMThey don't have to be signed if ADOT is maintaining them.  Some examples:  Sky Harbor Blvd./Loop 202S from the 202 Red Mountain Fwy to Sky Harbor Airport, E. Main St./US 60X in the county islands in the east Mesa area, and Fain Rd./AZ 89S in Prescott Valley, all of which are unsigned-but-maintained state highways. 

But if ADOT doesn't maintain a road, it is not signed as a state highway.  The former AZ 87 segments in Mesa and Chandler is one huge example.  So is Maricopa County Rte 238 between Mobile and Gila Bend is another, despite it being a direct continuation of AZ 238 from Maricopa to Mobile.

There are still signs showing AZ 87 on Country Club and Arizona in Mesa/Chandler, namely at the interchanges on the Red Mountain, Superstition and Santan. The former two even have pull through signs on Country Club designating it as AZ 87. I can understand the signage on the Red Mountain interchange but why at the Superstition and mark Arizona Ave as AZ 87 on the Santan? Sure the Superstition interchange is still in the system, but why bother marking it on overhead signage with Chandler and Coolidge as control cities southbound if it's discontinuous past the freeway anyway? The way Arizona handles decommissioning roads is just odd.

Also, MC 238 was never part of the state highway system. ADOT was thinking of adopting it at some point, but I have not seen it mentioned in years. I personally think they should. I see a lot of traffic coming up that way from I-8 into Maricopa towards the east valley. When I was coming back from San Diego, Google Maps even recommended using it. Quite a nice drive, but the MCO portion is in sore need of repairs and upgrades. Hopefully they consider adopting again after they're done widening AZ 347.

Mark68

I wish AZ hadn't truncated US 89 to Flagstaff. A couple of years back, I drove to the Phoenix area for some spring training games and I returned by way of I-17/AZ 69/Fain Rd/AZ 89A (which should still be US 89A).

89A is one of my new favorite drives. I had never been thru Jerome, Sedona or Oak Creek Canyon before. However, I will return. Maybe take it from the north next time.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Exit58 on November 07, 2019, 01:55:03 PM
There are still signs showing AZ 87 on Country Club and Arizona in Mesa/Chandler, namely at the interchanges on the Red Mountain, Superstition and Santan. The former two even have pull through signs on Country Club designating it as AZ 87. I can understand the signage on the Red Mountain interchange but why at the Superstition and mark Arizona Ave as AZ 87 on the Santan? Sure the Superstition interchange is still in the system, but why bother marking it on overhead signage with Chandler and Coolidge as control cities southbound if it's discontinuous past the freeway anyway? The way Arizona handles decommissioning roads is just odd.

As I mentioned earlier, the only places on Country Club Drive in Mesa where AZ 87 is signed are at the Red Mountain Fwy/Loop 202 between there and McKellips Rd. and on the signs at the US 60 on the overpass.  Country Club Dr. is a Mesa city street between McKellips Rd. & the start of the overpass at US 60, and from the end of the overpass to the Chandler city limits where it becomes Arizona Ave. 

In Chandler, the Santan Fwy signs for Arizona Ave. show it as being AZ 87.  Technically, if there is to be state highway markers on these signs, they should show "To AZ 87." 

But once you exit the freeway, there are no indications whatsoever that Arizona Ave. is AZ 87.  That's because it isn't, and hasn't been for years.  No 87 signs exist at the ends of the ramps, at least as of a couple weeks ago.  There are no AZ 87 signs anywhere on Arizona Ave. in Chandler until the junction with Hunt Hwy, where AZ 87 diagonals toward Coolidge and Arizona Ave. becomes AZ 587.  This is at the Gila River reservation boundary.

There is no real need to sign one single overpass, nor is there a need to sign it between McKellips and the 202.  If they don't want to sign it, signs should be posted to indicate that following AZ 87 from the north requires entering the 202 Red Mountain west, then onto the 101 south, then back to the 202 Santan east to Arizona Ave.  And vice versa.  Kinda like what they do to extreme in Indianapolis on I-465 for all of the surface highways there.

Google Maps is 100% wrong here.  They show 87 on that entire length.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.