I-20 widening through Abilene

Started by Chris, February 27, 2024, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

A public meeting was held yesterday for a 5 mile, six lane expansion project of I-20 in Abilene. They also released draft schematics for the project.

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/abilene/2024/i20-west-widening-project-020824.html

A massive 5 level interchange is planned at US 83 / US 277

kphoger

What the what?  While I've never driven through that interchange on I-20, I driven through it a bunch of times on US-277, and from that perspective it seems like a five-level stack is absolute overkill.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 03:29:40 PMWhat the what?  While I've never driven through that interchange on I-20, I driven through it a bunch of times on US-277, and from that perspective it seems like a five-level stack is absolute overkill.

I think that is a function of plans being still in the preliminary stages.  Kansas has had at least three Maltese cross stacks under consideration at comparable points in the process--K-7/K-10, I-35/I-435, and I-235/US 54-400--and, after many hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of construction over the course of a decade, is zero for three for the foreseeable future.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 03:29:40 PM
What the what?  While I've never driven through that interchange on I-20, I driven through it a bunch of times on US-277, and from that perspective it seems like a five-level stack is absolute overkill.

I was in Abilene last September and never saw that much traffic to warrant a 5-level stack. I can see widening I-20 for a stretch approaching and through town, but that's about it.

Stephane Dumas

It might be an overkill now but who knows if it would be part of a "High plains corridor" between Abilene and San Angelo?

Still, did TX DOT have once some bigger plans where Dub Wright Blvd meet US-277 with a diamond interchange?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nVajsPo1uSyGz3UB6

Bobby5280

Maybe if they extended I-44 from Wichita Falls down to Abilene such a thing might be worthwhile. An I-44 extension to San Angelo to meet a possible I-27 extension would route even more truck traffic thru Abilene. A finished Ports to Plains Corridor would give truck-based shipments from Mexico a good bypass around the very busy I-35 corridor. The traffic could move thru San Angelo, Abilene and Wichita Falls on the way to Northeast US destinations.

US-277 from Abilene to Wichita Falls isn't all that far off from Interstate standards currently. The 4-lane expansion project built around 20 years ago laid a lot of ground work for a potential Interstate upgrade.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 03:29:40 PM
Texas knows how to build a proper interchange. Just a directional stack as oppose to cloverleafs that make you slow down more. I'd say every freeway to freeway interchange would ideally be a stack.

Bobby5280

If one of the goals is having continuous frontage roads for both freeways go thru the interchange then a directional stack is the only alternative. Building cloverleaf loops as elevated bridges over frontage roads would be a big waste of money.

The 5-level stack interchange would also have a smaller real estate footprint than the existing cloverleaf interchange. That might open some additional parcels of land for commercial development.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.