News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on November 02, 2011, 12:00:10 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on November 02, 2011, 07:12:23 AM
Here are the two articles:
Interstate 49 taking shape around Texarkana
Local heads international group aimed at getting corridor built
Unfortunately you have to pay in order to view the articles.
I broke down and spent the $1.95 per article to have them emailed to me.  Points of interest to me from first article:
- Nearly 8 mile stretch from Arkansas Boulevard to US 71 is proceeding ahead of schedule and, although scheduled to completed by spring 2013, should be finished and open to traffic within a year.
- Sanderson Lane will have an interchange; Sugar Hill Road will not.
- The new bridges over I-30 serve as a nesting area for cliff swallows; under the Migratory Bird Act, no work on the bridges can be done while the cliff swallows are nesting.

The second article discusses how a Texarkansan heads the I-49 International Coalition and how that group is constantly trying to keep I-49 in the forefront of legislators' minds for whenever more money becomes available.  The article mentions $10 billion as amount for Arkansas.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

$10 billion as how much it will cost to build the remainder of I-49 in Arkansas or how much money would be available?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 02, 2011, 12:02:12 PM
$10 billion as how much it will cost to build the remainder of I-49 in Arkansas or how much money would be available?
The article states that "the estimated cost to build [I-49 in Arkansas] is close to $10 billion".  I assume that number excludes past construction.

Also, thanks to Gordon for a great find!  Keep that Texarkana intel coming (don't forget about I-69 Spur info, too!)

Anthony_JK

Quote from: US71 on October 04, 2011, 11:46:34 PM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on September 23, 2011, 03:01:11 PM
Actually, only a small segment of I-49 north of Texarkana to the Arkansas River will be going through Texas, so I'm guessing that it will be the usual 90 Fed/10 State formula.

Anthony

I think you mean the Red River? 

The Arkansas River is about 9 miles north of me ;)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

Anthony

Grzrd

I just received an email reply from AHTD regarding possible I-49 signage in the Texarkana area (my question and then AHTD answer):

Q "... since Louisiana will open an approximate 30 mile stretch of I-49 from AR state line to near Shreveport in 2013, will I-49 from Doddridge to Texas state line just north of Texarkana be signed as I-49 when 8 mile new terrain section around Texarkana opens around this time next year (... as a show of progress to attract federal funding)?"

A "The plan right now is for the Highway 549 signage to extend from Texarkana to the state line, but we will be looking into possible signing of I-49 for that section."

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 28, 2010, 02:13:01 PM
Texas at this time does not put the state name.  we are working on it.
If Arkansas does sign this section as I-49, I can envision at least a couple of directional I-49 shields in Texas along US 59.  After the successful effort regarding the state name on Texas I-69 shields, is the SHIELD team ready for a similar lobbying effort regarding I-49?

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on November 17, 2011, 11:38:38 AM
I just received an email reply from AHTD regarding possible I-49 signage in the Texarkana area (my question and then AHTD answer):

Q "... since Louisiana will open an approximate 30 mile stretch of I-49 from AR state line to near Shreveport in 2013, will I-49 from Doddridge to Texas state line just north of Texarkana be signed as I-49 when 8 mile new terrain section around Texarkana opens around this time next year (... as a show of progress to attract federal funding)?"

A "The plan right now is for the Highway 549 signage to extend from Texarkana to the state line, but we will be looking into possible signing of I-49 for that section."

Translation: we'll ask the AASHTO ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on December 22, 2011, 12:37:51 AM
"The plan right now is for the Highway 549 signage to extend from Texarkana to the state line, but we will be looking into possible signing of I-49 for that section."
I hope your translation is on the mark.  ;-)  If not, since I'm advocating that AHTD should submit another I-49 North designation application over on the Bella Vista/Fort Smith thread, I'll also advocate here that they should submit another I-49 South application.  In 2007, the I-49 South application (from Louisiana state line to Texas state line north of Texarkana) was denied because "road not yet under construction":
http://route.transportation.org/Documents/AM2007_USRN_ReporttoSCOH.pdf
All of I-49 between the Louisiana and Texas state lines is now under construction and all of it except for approximately 4.4 miles near LA state line (estimated completion in 2015) should be completed by this time next year.  Seems like a good time for another I-49 South application, too.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on January 02, 2012, 03:29:31 PM

All of I-49 between the Louisiana and Texas state lines is now under construction and all of it except for approximately 4.4 miles near LA state line (estimated completion in 2015) should be completed by this time next year.  Seems like a good time for another I-49 South application, too.

In theory, I can see AR 549 going to I-49 once Louisiana has finished and one the remaining 4 miles in Arkansas have been completed. I think AHTD needs to submit 2 applications: one for Texarkana, one for Bella Vista. It's interesting that Arkansas has no "Future 49" signs like Louisiana does. Future I-69 and Future I-555, yes;  I-49, no.

Grzrd

US71

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 05, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 05, 2012, 08:31:21 PM
Google Maps show the I-49 entrance and exit ramps connecting to N Stateline Ave in Texas:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=texarkana+ar&hl=en&ll=33.515351,-94.039493&spn=0.015886,0.027423&sll=33.019477,-93.90152&sspn=0.007988,0.013711&vpsrc=6&hnear=Texarkana,+Miller,+Arkansas&t=h&z=15

DANG! Now I have to investigate!

You should drive the new road and film it.  Nobody would probably even notice and if you did get caught you wouldn't get in that much trouble.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on January 06, 2012, 12:55:10 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 05, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 05, 2012, 08:31:21 PM
Google Maps show the I-49 entrance and exit ramps connecting to N Stateline Ave in Texas:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=texarkana+ar&hl=en&ll=33.515351,-94.039493&spn=0.015886,0.027423&sll=33.019477,-93.90152&sspn=0.007988,0.013711&vpsrc=6&hnear=Texarkana,+Miller,+Arkansas&t=h&z=15
DANG! Now I have to investigate!
You should drive the new road and film it.  Nobody would probably even notice and if you did get caught you wouldn't get in that much trouble.
Sorry, but I just had an ethanmoment: see if it can handle 75, too!  :D

Anthony_JK

Quote from: US71 on December 22, 2011, 12:37:51 AM
"The plan right now is for the Highway 549 signage to extend from Texarkana to the state line, but we will be looking into possible signing of I-49 for that section."
I hope your translation is on the mark.  ;-)  If not, since I'm advocating that AHTD should submit another I-49 North designation application over on the Bella Vista/Fort Smith thread, I'll also advocate here that they should submit another I-49 South application.  In 2007, the I-49 South application (from Louisiana state line to Texas state line north of Texarkana) was denied because "road not yet under construction":
http://www.transportation.org/sites/route/docs/AM2007_USRN_Report%20to%20SCOH.pdf

Uhh...that should be "I-49 NORTH". Lafayette to NOLA is what is popularly called "I-49 South" around here.

Anthony

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 06, 2012, 07:02:51 PM
since I'm advocating that AHTD should submit another I-49 North designation application over on the Bella Vista/Fort Smith thread, I'll also advocate here that they should submit another I-49 South application.  In 2007, the I-49 South application (from Louisiana state line to Texas state line north of Texarkana) was denied because "road not yet under construction":
Uhh...that should be "I-49 NORTH". Lafayette to NOLA is what is popularly called "I-49 South" around here.
Anthony

As seen in the link included in the above quote, AHTD submitted two applications to AASHTO in 2007: an "Arkansas I-49 North" application (I-40 to Missouri state line), and an "Arkansas I-49 South" application (Texas state line to Louisiana (your home of the more commonly known "I-49 North" and "I-49 South" projects) state line).

I just used the 2007 descriptions that AHTD used in order to minimize confusion (oh well, I guess I failed in that respect).  :-/  From the Arkansas perspective, I did mean "I-49 SOUTH".

BTW keep fighting the good fight for LA's I-49 South!  :cheers:

Revive 755

So Arkansas has completely given up on posting an I-130 around Texarkana?

Grzrd

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 06, 2012, 09:08:39 PM
So Arkansas has completely given up on posting an I-130 around Texarkana?
In 2007, the I-49 South application (from Louisiana state line to Texas state line north of Texarkana) was denied because "road not yet under construction":
Quote from: Gordon on January 06, 2012, 06:17:55 PM
The last contract shows the signs will be 549. Job # 030325 sheet 71. Hwy. 245 will end at Arkansas Blvd. Just north of Arkansas Blvd is where the new road will tie  together with the new 549 to Interstate 30. I will try and get some pictures soon. Concrete road bed is pretty much complete but they still have to do the shoulders.
Quote from: Alex on January 06, 2012, 12:02:38 PM
Apparently there were Future I-130 signs posted in 2001, but when we drove through in 2003 they were gone. I guess no one in the road community snapped a photo?
(Posts from Gordon and Alex are from "I-49 north Texarkana thoughts" thread)

I suppose that if Arkansas wants the interstate "brand" for the route, but is not ready to pull the trigger on "I-49" again because of possible AASHTO denial, then there is a remote possibility that "I-130" could return.  If not, it would be great if a photo showed up.  Also, there might be a lucky "collector" somewhere who has a real collector's item.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2012, 06:07:25 PM
It's interesting that Arkansas has no "Future 49" signs like Louisiana does. Future I-69 and Future I-555, yes;  I-49, no.
I agree that it is very interesting that Arkansas does not have any "Future I-49 Corridor" signs, particlarly between I-30 and I-40 (and, on second thought, could "Future I-49" shields be posted along I-540 north of I-40?).

I emailed AHTD and asked them why no "Future I-49 Corridor" signs are posted.  The response I received:

We looked into that, but the federal government prefers the project to be further along that what we have at this time to consider the signing.

If that is indeed the case, why did the feds allow "Future I-69 Corridor" signs to be posted?  In Arkansas, I-49 is much farther along in progress than I-69.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on January 10, 2012, 11:54:45 AM

I emailed AHTD and asked them why no "Future I-49 Corridor" signs are posted.  The response I received:

"We looked into that, but the federal government prefers the project to be further along that what we have at this time to consider the signing."

If that is indeed the case, why did the feds allow "Future I-69 Corridor" signs to be posted?  In Arkansas, I-49 is much farther along in progress than I-69.

Or Future I-49 in Louisiana? To me, it sounds like they are trying to pass the blame someone else for what they don't want to do. I see they say the government "prefers", but not the government "forbids".

Gordon

I looked over the 549 construction in Texarkana today and the contractor was working on about every part of it. The main concrete lanes are done. They were working on the merging lanes to the existing roads. Also they were hauling in crushed rock for the shoulders, Breaking up the existing concrete and hauling it away where Hwy 245 will relocate to Arkansas Blvd. I feel like they will complete this project by the end of the year.

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on January 21, 2012, 08:51:19 PM
I looked over the 549 construction in Texarkana today and the contractor was working on about every part of it. The main concrete lanes are done. They were working on the merging lanes to the existing roads.
Have they completed the 19th Street/Hwy 245 interchange?

Gordon

I didn't drive down that today. But the last I did drive by, they were finished with the main lanes, just working on the access roads at 82 Hwy.

Gordon

I drove down Hwy 245 today and 19th Street/Hwy 245 interchange is finished. Didn't see any equipment around on that project so looks like it is complete. Interstate Hwy co. doing the new 549 project has made a crossover south of Hwy 67 so they can replace the concrete between Ark. Blvd and Hwy 67. Working on the south bound lanes breaking up the Existing concrete. It really needs this replaced because the existing concrete is broken up bad.This company really gets after it.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on January 23, 2012, 07:20:47 PM
I drove down Hwy 245 today and 19th Street/Hwy 245 interchange is finished. Didn't see any equipment around on that project so looks like it is complete. Interstate Hwy co. doing the new 549 project has made a crossover south of Hwy 67 so they can replace the concrete between Ark. Blvd and Hwy 67. Working on the south bound lanes breaking up the Existing concrete. It really needs this replaced because the existing concrete is broken up bad.This company really gets after it.

Yeah, it's been that way for a long time.

Thanks for the update. I may try to check it out in a couple weeks. If not, it will be mid-March before I get by there

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on January 23, 2012, 07:20:47 PM
I drove down Hwy 245 today and 19th Street/Hwy 245 interchange is finished. Didn't see any equipment around on that project so looks like it is complete.
Thanks for the great field report.  Looks like Wikipedia's Texarkana Loop page now needs an update.  ;-)

Arkansas is using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 funds to pave the final segment of future I-130, from the Arkansas Boulevard interchange to a new freeway-to-freeway interchange with I-30.[3] Once this section is opened, the only remaining requirement to become I-130 will be upgrading the at-grade intersection with 19th Street to a full interchange; the right-of-way for this was reserved years ago. However, with I-49 also pending completion between Texarkana and Shreveport, Louisiana (including a segment in Arkansas also being built with ARRA funds[3]), it is unknown at this point if it will become I-130 before being formally incorporated into I-49.

Grzrd

Google Maps update that Stephane Dumas posted on "I-49 (Bella Vista, Fort Smith)" thread also shows an impressive barrier at the Arkansas/Louisiana state line built by AHTD's contractor to apparently keep out the roadgeek infidels (and good progress on structural work at CO Rd 4 2-3 miles north of the barrier).  Another Maginot Line?  Only time will tell ...  :bigass:

Grzrd

The meeting notes from the Texas I-69 Segment Committee 1's November 9, 2011 meeting confirm that the Texarkana US 59 relief route is a Recommended Priority [pages 3-4/31 of the pdf].  Also, the following two points were made about the Texarkana US 59 relief route in the "Discussion of Early Implementation Opportunities [page 4/31 of pdf]:

- Connections are important, to the interstates, I-20 (Marshall relief route), I-30 (Texarkana relief route) and the I-69 national route (Joaquin/Tenaha relief route).
- From the Sulphur River Bridge to I-30 could be the first phase of the Texarkana relief route. This is consistent with the resolution of the Texarkana MPO. The Texarkana resolution should be captured in the final committee report.

The Alliance for I-69 Texas Texarkana to Lufkin Projects page provides a description of where the I-69 Spur might tie in to I-30:

Preliminary alignment planning is underway on the I-69 Texarkana West Loop. The relief route would connect to Interstate 30 at a point near the former Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant site, now known as TexAmericas Center. It would run south to connect to the existing US 59 route at a point northeast of Wright Patman Lake.

None of the above indicates near-term plans for the Texarkana US 59 relief route to proceed north of I-30 and eastward to connect with I-49.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.