News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Summer 2017 road trips

Started by noelbotevera, July 13, 2016, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 41

I'm going to Pennsylvania this month and then after that I'm going to drive to Virginia Beach. I'm planning on driving on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US 50), barely driving into Delaware on DE 54 to add another state to my list (will be my 35th state), and then driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel system (US 13).
https://goo.gl/maps/5pYzMcp84zH2

This fall (November) I'm going to be driving to Zacatecas and San Luis Potosi (Mexico) by entering at Eagle Pass and then leaving at the Colombia POE (NW of Laredo). I'll add Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas to the list of Mexican states I've visited which will bring my count up to 6 (previously have visited Coahuila and Chihuahua). https://goo.gl/maps/za64Na8yUTE2

I also might end up taking 4 days off at some point and drive up to northern Ontario in either August or September. I always enjoy my time up there.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Gulol

Just wrapped up a 3300ish mile trip.  Denver to Cleveland via I-80 and I-90 to check out the Rock and Roll HOF, then onto Niagara Falls via Buffalo along I-90.  From there into Toronto to spend a couple of days (the 401 certainly gives the 405 in LA a run for its money in terms of traffic!), then back to the states via the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit with stops in Chicago (I-94) and Kansas City (I-55 and I-72/US 36) on the way back to Denver (I-70).

Roadgeekteen

Back from Acadia. Went to the scoodic peninsula, very nice with not a lot of people.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Alright, I'm flying to Atlanta on July 18
Then I'm staying the night there until July 19
Then, I'm driving on I-75/I-40/I-81 on July 19 and July 20 back up to home.
It's crazy. Here's the way back trip:
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US71

I'll be driving to Dandridge, TN in early September for the annual RMCA meet. Probably take I-40 there then hit the US Highways heading home.

A couple weeks ago, I drove to McAlester, OK, then McKinney, Greenville, and Paris TX, teast through Hugo, Idabel, and Broken Bow, OK to DeQueen AR and home.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US71 on July 08, 2017, 04:17:33 PM
I'll be driving to Dandridge, TN in early September for the annual RMCA meet. Probably take I-40 there then hit the US Highways heading home.

A couple weeks ago, I drove to McAlester, OK, then McKinney, Greenville, and Paris TX, teast through Hugo, Idabel, and Broken Bow, OK to DeQueen AR and home.
Is rmca the ymca for another gender?

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2017, 10:45:59 PM

Is rmca the ymca for another gender?

Not quite.

Road Map Collectors Association

hbelkins

Dandridge seems to be an odd location for this meeting. It's on the periphery of the Smokies, but I can't see anything that would cause it to be a great draw.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2017, 12:55:26 PM

Dandridge seems to be an odd location for this meeting. It's on the periphery of the Smokies, but I can't see anything that would cause it to be a great draw.

The meet is Sevierville, but the hotel is Dandridge.  It's also the Dixie Gas Swap Meet. The cheaper hotels must be Dandridge.

Rothman

Just came back from a pretty straightforward trip out west.  Flew out to SLC and drove to Champoeg State Park in Oregon for my sister's wedding.  Stopped  to see friends in Boise.  Standard I-15 to I-84 to I-5.

Headed out on US 26, came down US 101 hitting a bunch of state parks.

The interesting bit is that we wanted to go to Hiouchi, CA to see Stout Grove.  However, US 199 was closed because of a major accident east of the town.

Headed to Crescent City to the NPS information center there and the nice volunteers told us we could take Howland Hill Road instead and would be let through on the other side of town.

Best detour I have taken, ever.  Spectacular forest on a 1.5 lane dirt road.  Came right into Stout Grove and thought the trees on the road were more dramatic.

Anyway, ended up driving past the crash site on our way out and saw rescue workers roping up to descend into the wide gorge.  Evidently, a vehicle flipped the guardrail.  Other vehicles were involved.

Anyway, headed out to and stayed at Oregon Caves National Monument, then headed up to Crater Lake and came back to SLC via OR/NV 140 ("Winnemucca to the Sea").

A good vacation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: JJBersWell, I just got back about 2 hours ago...I only now have to drive on I-91 south of CT 150 to fully clinch it.

You crossed into Canada at Danby Line?  (only way you'd fully clinch I-91)

Meanwhile, I'll be headed out on my summer roadtrip/vacation sometime next weekend for a few weeks.  Out to Minnesota and back, via Lafayette, IN on the way out and probably through southern Canada on the return trip.

JJBers

Quote from: froggie on July 16, 2017, 08:06:33 AM
Quote from: JJBersWell, I just got back about 2 hours ago...I only now have to drive on I-91 south of CT 150 to fully clinch it.

You crossed into Canada at Danby Line?  (only way you'd fully clinch I-91)

Meanwhile, I'll be headed out on my summer roadtrip/vacation sometime next weekend for a few weeks.  Out to Minnesota and back, via Lafayette, IN on the way out and probably through southern Canada on the return trip.
Yeah, for like 5 minutes, before I turned around and went through US Customs. If you want to, you can count Quebec as my third Canadian province traveled. First time I've to Canada for about 11 years.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Nyc might be in the works for August.

hbelkins

I just got done with a couple of small trips. I went on a route-clinching journey to West Virginia a couple of weekends ago. Then I went to western Kentucky to scout for the meet I'm proposing.

The upcoming Twin Cities meet is going to be my longest trip in several years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Just returned from my annual road trip to an ultra trail race. I've got a sign for the Road sign city name photo game thread that if played correctly could give up to 5 choices to play from per the A-Rule :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JJBers

I went to Atlanta then back. Whoo hoo....
Photos
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

D-Dey65

There's a possibility I may end up going to the NYC-Long Island area sooner than I planned. I don't want to go into the reasons why.

froggie

Just completed my main road trip of the summer.  2.5 weeks, 6400 miles, 12 states and one Canadian province.

JJBers

I'm going on another trip on the 13th to upstate New York, in the middle of the adirondacks. I've been there twice already, so I believe there won't be much to clinch driving wise, but photos will be brand new.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hm insulators

I'm looking forward to my road trip to Branson, Missouri next week to see an old friend I haven't seen in many years and use his home as a base to see the eclipse of the sun. I'll probably use I-40 for much of the way but nothing's really cast in concrete, so to speak. I've reserved a rental car as my 21-year-old Buick probably couldn't make the trip.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

D-Dey65

I'm going up sometime after Labor Day. I'll explain why after the trip.

And with any luck, I'll still go up by myself again in November.

Rothman

So far this year, I have:

1) Flown out to SLC, driven out to Portland, down the coast and back through Crater Lake

2) Driven from here in Upstate NY down to Key West and back

3) Driven to central TN and back for the eclipse.

Didn't pick up that many counties or interstate mileage, but did finally clinch the entirety of I-70.  Saw a decent number of National Park Service sites, too, including the Dry Tortugas.

One more trip planned this year to head to Nashville (further west than where I was for the eclipse) in November.

Good year for getting out, if not for improving my stats. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Had a couple of long trips so far this year:

- Kankakee meet Memorial Day Weekend. Made that a week and detoured to grab 5 state high points on the way home, plus got a new state (Wisconsin) and a ton of new mileage.
- Northern Tennessee for the eclipse. Finally got clinches of I-71 and I-79, plus a bunch of 3DIs, a couple Kentucky parkways and some state routes.

I did a couple of multi-day clinching trips back in June to finish clinching NY, with another planned to finish off Vermont next month (only ~1/4 of the state left).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

My two big summer trips are complete.  Mostly Florida and known territory (visiting people) back in June-July, and the just-completed trip to Nebraska for the eclipse.  I picked up a lot of new clinchables on the recent trip: a new minor league ballpark in Louisville, filled a gap in I-75 in Ohio, US 60 (for the most part) between Louisville and the Evansville area, a new route through western Missouri, a circle in eastern Nebraska out from Omaha to Grand Island on mostly US 34, back on mostly US 30, and some US 6 in western Iowa, all of that giving me about 10 new counties too.  Also made my first visits to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Great Lakes Science Center, Neil Armstrong Museum, and Louisville Slugger museum/factory.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.