News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Songs that you thought were a lot older

Started by roadman65, August 29, 2018, 09:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2019, 02:50:17 PM
I still haven't figured out what order the Beatles albums were released in, so I'm frequently wrong about whether one of their songs is "newer" or "older".

Just know that despite Let it Be being the last album released, Abbey Road was the last album recorded.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

OracleUsr

Quote from: kurumi on May 04, 2019, 01:43:11 AM
In 1977 Fleetwood Mac's Rumours came out, selling more than 40 million copies. On it were pop songs like "Dreams", which we've all heard 1000 times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ywicffOj4

They've written better stuff, though, including the blues-oriented "The Chain": another example of a rock band's earlier stuff being better than the newer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYHwH1Vb-c

Too bad they had to sell out and go soft, huh.

However, "The Chain" and "Dreams" are on the same album.

John McVie's bass riff in The Chain was the first thing I learned to play on bass guitar.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

bing101

Stan Bush the 80's except it was released back in 2019

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-sM_PLqzgktdUcW2LEKKkQ

There is a Band Called "The Midnight" this group is does a genre called synthwave and most of their songs sound like they came from the mid 1980's

Here is a Sample

Also another group managed use "The Midnights" Los Angeles and tie the song to actual 1980's clips of Los Angeles

In_Correct

The "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun Before I Die" Song

contains the lyrics:

"No Disco"

and

"Fancy Datsuns And Buicks"

I thought the song was from 1983.

But it was made 10 years after that during a time when the Datsun name was inactive. I would not consider Datsun to be fancy. Perhaps "Fancy Infinitis And Buicks" sounds worse.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bing101

Wow this song has some late 1980-early 1990's vibe to this. Yes John Mayer's Last Train Home is basically Toto meets Eric Clapton and if they did came together in 1989-1991 timeframe

bing101

John Mayer kicks off early 1990's retro sounding songs. This time retro early 1990's soft rock!

bwana39

Quote from: mgk920 on August 31, 2018, 11:46:13 PM
When I first heard LeAnn Rimes' version of 'Blue' in 1996, I thought that a long-lost Patsy Cline recording had been found and released.  The song was written by Bil Mack and published in 1958, though.

Mike

Written by Bill Mack (WBAP -AM Disk Jockey over night) for Patsy Cline before her untimely death.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: In_Correct on February 29, 2020, 05:44:05 AM
The "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun Before I Die" Song

"Fancy Datsuns And Buicks"

240/260/280/300 Z /ZX are fancy
Rivieras were fancy Buicks.  So were Duece and a quarters (Electra 225)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Takumi

Quote from: bing101 on August 15, 2021, 09:49:02 PM

John Mayer kicks off early 1990's retro sounding songs. This time retro early 1990's soft rock!

I was seriously expecting Daryl Hall to start singing at some point.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bing101

Quote from: Takumi on October 07, 2021, 04:40:11 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 15, 2021, 09:49:02 PM

I was seriously expecting Daryl Hall to start singing at some point.
I was thinking if you remove John Mayer's voice off the song and it was only instrumental I would have guessed Dave Koz in the 1990's and an instrumental song of the era.

ethanhopkin14

For me:

"American Pie" by Don McLean always felt like it came out in the late 70s, like 1979, because it was still in very heavy radio rotation in the early to mid 80s, and these were the days before defined timeline radio stations (like Classic Rock!!!).  Later I learned it was much older, being released in 1970, which made more sense when I really started to understand the references in the song being about the 60s which was way more appropriate for 1970 than 1979. 

The reverse:
"Tears of a Clown" by Smokie Robinson I always thought was a very early 60s song, but came out in 1970. 

I will state the same as I have read a lot in this thread:  I am also perplexed by all the songs from the 80s and 90s people thought were 60s songs.  Yes, there were a lot of songs that intentionally sounded like they were 60s songs (mainly because that was the time to be nostalgic about the 60s), and the 80s had several 60s covers, but the recording quality from the 80s was a dead giveaway.  Also, not to mention just the style is night and day.  The 80s (and even all the way up to today) was all about polished sounds, particularly drums.  Equipment just got so much better.  I mean, there are a lot of 80s albums I would think were recorded yesterday if not for the fact that I remember the date the album was released ("Graceland" by Paul Simon) and just overall how dated the music sounds.  That's how good the quality was then.  The 60s had a lot of static noise in the recordings and drum sounds were much more loose like "garage band" quality.  That's because in the 60s, they had worse equipment than what you can pick up at Walmart today.  I mean, before the song starts, and you can hear the back tracking and tape noise.  You know immediately which era the song was recorded in.

Now "Listen to the Music" by the Doobie Brothers is a rare example.  That is the best recording in music history (not the song, the recording quality).  It is so clean and polished. 

hbelkins

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 15, 2021, 03:25:58 PM
For me:
Now "Listen to the Music" by the Doobie Brothers is a rare example.  That is the best recording in music history (not the song, the recording quality).  It is so clean and polished.

In terms of being clean and polished, a different band from that general era got rave reviews for the slickness of the production. I'm referring, of course, to Boston. One has to wonder just how clean the sound would have been if they'd had digital mastering in the late 1970s when that album came out.

I remember when CDs had a label referring to how the music was recorded. AAD, ADD, and DDD were the most common ones. I remember when CDs were marketed as "a full digital recording," but I can't remember what the first DDD CD I owned was. There were a few out there denoted DAD, which didn't make a whole lot of sense. Why record in digital and master in analog before converting again to digital for distribution?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.