News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coca-Cola to discontinue Tab

Started by golden eagle, October 20, 2020, 10:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Those are great.  Wonder how much TaB memorabilia will be available out there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2020, 02:31:23 AM
Those are great.  Wonder how much TaB memorabilia will be available out there.

A quick perusal of e-bay seems to indicate quite a bit.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

tigerwings

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 20, 2020, 07:30:23 PM
I also confess to transporting cases of Diet Mountain Dew from the Save-a-Lot on Industrial Blvd (MD-51) in Cumberland, Maryland all across the country.  For a number of years, it was the only place that I ever found any.  It was probably illegal to transport so much, but I wasn't about to give any away.  (I did offer to a few friends who politely turned up their noses at diet sodas).

Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew was an even harder find. Only seen it in Michigan, Ohio, and in Omaha. On my westbound trips back to Colorado I would stock up (Usually not in Michigan due to the deposit). This disappeared along with Caffeine Free Coke Zero ( I seen a few 12 packs a couple week ago by gone again) when Covid-19 appeared.  Pepsi is now bottling Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi with Aspartame in NW Ohio. I stopped drinking it in Colorado when they switched to sucralose (with I don't taste as sweet).

NJRoadfan

Diet Pepsi is back to using Aspartame with Ace-K in all variants now. The only Splenda/sucralose sweetened drinks that I drink regularly are teas or Diet Cheerwine. Its pretty much impossible to get diet/zero calorie sodas similar to what they had in "the old days" as all the majors have switched sweeteners from just aspartame to a blend with Ace-K or sucralose. Even the sweeteners themselves have improved. I remember when Splenda first hit the market and it had a chalky taste to it.

US71

Quote from: tigerwings on October 24, 2020, 01:22:39 PM
I also confess to transporting cases of Diet Mountain Dew from the Save-a-Lot on Industrial Blvd (MD-51) in Cumberland, Maryland all across the country.  For a number of years, it was the only place that I ever found any.  It was probably illegal to transport so much, but I wasn't about to give any away.  (I did offer to a few friends who politely turned up their noses at diet sodas).

Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew was an even harder find. Only seen it in Michigan, Ohio, and in Omaha. On my westbound trips back to Colorado I would stock up (Usually not in Michigan due to the deposit). This disappeared along with Caffeine Free Coke Zero ( I seen a few 12 packs a couple week ago by gone again) when Covid-19 appeared.  Pepsi is now bottling Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi with Aspartame in NW Ohio. I stopped drinking it in Colorado when they switched to sucralose (with I don't taste as sweet).

I vaguely remember Caffein Free Diet Dew, it was not around my area for very long

Pink Jazz

I heard Coke plans on discontinuing 200 brands, many within the hydration category.  I really hope my Powerade Strawberry Lemonade doesn't get the axe.

ClassicHasClass

I actually liked New Coke. I bought some when Coke brought it back for the Stranger Things promotion. I still liked it.

I'm wondering if they'll axe Pibb next. I may go into mourning. I actually have some Pibb in the fridge.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 24, 2020, 11:56:07 PM
I actually liked New Coke. I bought some when Coke brought it back for the Stranger Things promotion. I still liked it.

I'm wondering if they'll axe Pibb next. I may go into mourning. I actually have some Pibb in the fridge.

Well, I wonder what would Coke sell in areas where they don't have distribution rights for Dr. Pepper.  Still, Pepsi has no equivalent in areas where Coke sells Dr. Pepper.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tigerwings on October 24, 2020, 01:22:39 PM

Quote from: US71 on October 24, 2020, 05:12:51 PM
I vaguely remember Caffein Free Diet Dew, it was not around my area for very long

Over the past two years, I have migrated to the caffeine free version of Diet Mountain Dew.  It's very popular here in Central North Carolina, and some stores seem to carry so much that it appears to be more popular than everything except Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and regular Mountain Dew (and perhaps Diet Coke, if you count the variations).  Amazing to me.

US71

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 25, 2020, 12:49:15 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 24, 2020, 11:56:07 PM

Well, I wonder what would Coke sell in areas where they don't have distribution rights for Dr. Pepper.  Still, Pepsi has no equivalent in areas where Coke sells Dr. Pepper.

DR Pepper is "independent", so if Coke doesn't distribute them Pepsi does. Different regions have different distributors.

kkt

QuoteCoca-Cola to discontinue Tab

That should make CalTrans happy  :-D

US71

Quote from: kkt on October 25, 2020, 05:28:00 PM

How so?

kkt

Quote from: US71 on October 25, 2020, 05:29:46 PM
How so?

If Tab is discontinued, no one can blame CalTrans for not putting tabs on their big green signs!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on October 25, 2020, 05:37:36 PM
How so?

If Tab is discontinued, no one can blame CalTrans for not putting tabs on their big green signs!

The retro reflective variants on old painted button copy BGS look terrible.  The bright green tab up again a dark green sign is hideous. 

US71

How so?

:pan: :pan: :pan: :pan:

kkt

Quote from: US71 on October 25, 2020, 05:54:00 PM
How so?
:pan: :pan: :pan: :pan:

:bigass:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dlsterner on October 20, 2020, 11:51:54 PM
In my case, I have begun to prefer Coke Zero over Diet Coke, simply because to me it tastes more like the Original Coke (I was a heavy Coke drinker both before and after the "New Coke" fiasco in the 1980's).  Diet Coke has a bit of a "funny" taste to me which I attribute to the artificial sweetener.

Although lately I have discovered a brand called "Zevia".  Their cola tastes enough like Coke Zero to keep me happy, and I appreciate that Zevia is sweetened with plant-based Stevia rather than a not-so-natural sweetener.  Note that their cola also has no artificial coloring, so it is clear rather than brownish in color.  I have never seen in in restaurants, but many grocery stores carry it.

Of course I would rather drink a sugared Coke, but I need to keep my blood sugar and my A1C down.

I discovered Zevia soda in my local grocery store and that's about all I drink like now. I generally drink the Dr. Zevia (Dr. Pepper), Cherry Soda and Ginger Ale flavors. They didn't keep it regularly stocked, so I started ordering it directly from the company and have it delivered for free every 4 weeks. It's more expensive than Coke products, but the biggest problem that artificial sweeteners cause for me is that they are major appetite stimulants and I'm trying to severely cut my calorie intake and cutting out the artificial sweeteners helps a lot.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 25, 2020, 02:16:19 PM
Over the past two years, I have migrated to the caffeine free version of Diet Mountain Dew.  It's very popular here in Central North Carolina, and some stores seem to carry so much that it appears to be more popular than everything except Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and regular Mountain Dew (and perhaps Diet Coke, if you count the variations).  Amazing to me.

Moreso than Cheerwine?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2020, 07:49:10 PM
Moreso than Cheerwine?

You got me.  Nobody sells Diet Cheerwine around here anymore, but I grab one anywhere I can get one.  Also a sucker for Diet Stewart's Rootbeer at Cracker Barrel.

US71

I kept 2 6-pack of Crystal Pepsi when it was discontinued, but it eventually ate through the aluminum cans and had to be tossed.

amroad17

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 20, 2020, 01:57:13 PM

They still make TaB?
"Anacin?!?  Didn't they stop making that in what, the 70's?"---Brian Griffin in an episode of Family Guy.

Seriously, I did drink TaB in the 70's but the taste did leave something to be desired.  The preference was either Coke or Pepsi.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 25, 2020, 06:19:57 PM
I generally drink the Dr. Zevia (Dr. Pepper), Cherry Soda and Ginger Ale flavors.

My wife drinks Dr Zevia exclusively (when it comes to fizzy drinks).

For non-carbonated drinks, she drinks Bai.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 25, 2020, 09:32:12 PM

Moreso than Cheerwine?

You got me.  Nobody sells Diet Cheerwine around here anymore, but I grab one anywhere I can get one.  Also a sucker for Diet Stewart's Rootbeer at Cracker Barrel.

I can't remember the city, but I was road-tripping a few years ago in central NC (somewhere south or southwest of Raleigh), saw a Kroger, and decided on a whim to run in to see if they had Diet Cheerwine. They did, and it was on sale, so I bought several 12-pack cans of it.

On another trip, I was clipping a corner of SW NC near Asheville and needed to stop for a gas and comfort break at an Ingles near Weaverville. Again, I made a Diet Cheerwine run and ended up with several of the 20- or 16.9-oz bottles.

Some DoubleKwik markets in SE KY have Cheerwine now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Moreso than Cheerwine?

I've never had Cheerwine (regular or diet), but I just searched the Wegmans app and it says the store nearest to us carries the diet version (if you're ever in Fairfax County to look for it).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Moreso than Cheerwine?

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2020, 12:50:27 PM
I've never had Cheerwine (regular or diet), but I just searched the Wegmans app and it says the store nearest to us carries the diet version (if you're ever in Fairfax County to look for it).

Yup.  Once upon a time, I would walk down the street and pick up a 6-pak of Diet Cheerwine or Diet Mountain Dew at the old A&P store in downtown Herndon.  When I moved there in 1992, I couldn't believe that an A&P still existed.  I could still get 2-liter bottles of Diet RC there, as well as Diet Hires Rootbeer.  As many things as there are to complain about Fairfax County, I do miss it sometimes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.