News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

When do you not wear a wedding ring?

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 08, 2021, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This morning I had to change a punctured tire on my car.  As I'm using the lug wrench I can feel my wedding ring obstructing my grip slightly which led me to put it in my pocket.  I've found that I have a similar issues when using tools, performing manual tasks and even lifting weights at the gym.  In those particular instances even Silicon rings still feel like a grip obstruction. Is this just a me thing or is this a common phenomenon for other married people?

Also, as dull as my reasonings are I can imagine some forum members might have some more interesting takes on when they might not wear their wedding ring.

74/171FAN

I do not think that my parents have worn their wedding rings in a long time.  I cannot think of a particular reason offhand.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

My wife and I had bands that were too small to begin with and then we got fat quickly after marriage.  Haven't worn rings in years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I take mine off if I'm working on the car. I also leave it at home if I go for a bike ride, this because once I went to signal a left turn and my ring flew off my hand and rolled towards a storm drain, at which point I dropped the bike and raced after the ring (and caught it in time).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SkyPesos

texaskdog

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 08, 2021, 01:12:43 PM
I take mine off if I’m working on the car. I also leave it at home if I go for a bike ride, this because once I went to signal a left turn and my ring flew off my hand and rolled towards a storm drain, at which point I dropped the bike and raced after the ring (and caught it in time).

My God that's a story right there.

Dirt Roads

When I was a signal supervisor on the railroad, we got serious about safety and started a "no jewelry" policy.  A wife of one of my maintainers called me personally to cuss me out about the new policy, insisting that her husband was going to start cheating on her at work.  I assured her that the folks working near his "office" at Glenwood Tower in Pittsburgh had assured me that he hardly ever came out of the basement there to get any work done, so they would certainly tell me if he started bringing a girl to work with him.

Rothman

Quote from: texaskdog on August 08, 2021, 01:33:55 PM
I take mine off if I’m working on the car. I also leave it at home if I go for a bike ride, this because once I went to signal a left turn and my ring flew off my hand and rolled towards a storm drain, at which point I dropped the bike and raced after the ring (and caught it in time).

He encountered a balloon-carrying clown that asked him if he wanted to float.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

I don't think I've ever taken mine off other than just to see if I still could (my knuckles got jammed a lot when I played basketball as a kid) and then I put it right back on.  I've been married almost six years.

Chris

formulanone

When working with oils. I've had a few close calls during cold weather, but I wear a little shim underneath the band (losing weight means this is a year-long phenomenon).

My wife tends to remove her rings when baking and cooking; it's a good excuse for me to trot out in order to get samples out of pity.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on August 08, 2021, 01:33:55 PM
I take mine off if I'm working on the car. I also leave it at home if I go for a bike ride, this because once I went to signal a left turn and my ring flew off my hand and rolled towards a storm drain, at which point I dropped the bike and raced after the ring (and caught it in time).

He encountered a balloon-carrying clown that asked him if he wanted to float.

I would have gone for the cotton candy and rides.

Alex

A good question might be when do you wear your wedding ring?

If we are going out to do errands, dinner, social things, I usually wear it.

Hanging around the house, no, though if we have people visiting I do sometimes.
Gym, definitely no. Did it once and it was in the way, even while wearing gloves.
Mowing/landscaping, changing out the battery in the car, etc. no

Max Rockatansky

Aside from the gym I usually wear at least the silicon ring when I leave the house.  If it's hot enough out I tend to take it off while I'm out hiking given my finger will begin to get constricted eventually.  I don't really wear one at home and can't recall the last time I did. 

jmd41280

The only time I take mine off is when I'm in the shower.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on August 08, 2021, 02:41:36 PM
A good question might be when do you wear your wedding ring?

Other than as noted above, I almost always have it on if I'm awake. I may take it off for some yardwork depending on what I have to do. I take it off to go to sleep and to shave and shower (in the morning I don't put it on until I'm getting dressed after showering). When we first got married, my wife didn't like it that I took it off to go to sleep, so I tried keeping it on and I found it very uncomfortable. Felt like my finger swelled up overnight.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

For those of you that barely wear yours, it's interesting to me, because I barely even notice that mine is on.  Had this thread not popped up, I think the last time I remember even thinking about my ring was a couple of months ago.  It helps that mine is tungsten carbide and therefore pretty much undamageable, but I can't imagine taking it off and putting it on every day.  I'd definitely forget where I put it. 

Chris

Rothman

Tungsten carbide is not undamageable.  WC rings (:D) can shatter.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 03:38:23 PM

True.  Let me rephrase to "undentable" and "unscratchable", two of the reasons I think most of you all take yours off.

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 08, 2021, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 03:38:23 PM

True.  Let me rephrase to "undentable" and "unscratchable", two of the reasons I think most of you all take yours off.

Chris
Took ours off because our fingers were too fat.

JayhawkCO

Makes sense.  I think I've only maybe gained five pounds since my wedding (thankfully).

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 08, 2021, 04:44:44 PM
Makes sense.  I think I've only maybe gained five pounds since my wedding (thankfully).

Chris
Give it time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 04:46:58 PM

Chris
Give it time.

I actually lost 18 pounds the first year and a half into our marriage.  One third of that was from training too much and the other two thirds was from what my Doctor termed an "unknown virus"  in December 2019.  My ring tends to slide around a lot nowadays as a result. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 04:46:58 PM

Chris
Give it time.

My dad is 6' and peaked at 180 lbs.  I'm 6'4" and 185.  I think I'll probably be good minus my little bit of dad bod/beer belly.

Chris

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on August 08, 2021, 03:41:35 PM
Took ours off because our fingers were too fat.

I can't get mine off for the same reason.  They tried a few weeks ago for knee surgery and failed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.