News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Songs that mention other artists

Started by hbelkins, August 10, 2021, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Weird Al':
* "Achey Breaky Song" mentions 10(?) different singers/groups.
* "One of Those Days" has a line about Beatles records being left out in the sun.

Queen's "I Go Crazy" mentions the Rolling Stones, along with a third person reference to Queen.

Roadgeekteen

you might be interested in this video

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kurumi

This song mentions Hendrix, Zeppelin, Metallica, Billy Squier, Aerosmith, Phil Collins, Yes, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, the Doors, and ZZ Top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBrLMeDCyQ
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

Blues Traveler- Run Around

Run around has references on the Counting Crows

roadman65

Dyer Straits in Money for Nothing, mentions indirectly George Michael using the video to aid that.  However, due to changing times, Cox Media censors out the word lorry when they play the song on WMMO in Central Florida.  That was the bands way of calling out Michael" s sexuality at the time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2021, 10:23:23 PM
Dyer Straits in Money for Nothing, mentions indirectly George Michael using the video to aid that.  However, due to changing times, Cox Media censors out the word lorry when they play the song on WMMO in Central Florida.  That was the bands way of calling out Michael" s sexuality at the time.
I have heard that Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler have not always used that slur word in concert.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 26, 2021, 12:07:22 AM
I have heard that Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler have not always used that slur word in concert.

They used the word "queenie" in concerts, which in British English has the same general meaning but is less offensive.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Concrete Bob

Anthrax's 1986 release, "I'm the Man," has a reference to the late, great El Duce, drummer and vocalist from the Metal/Punk band, The Mentors.  The Mentors were the prime spark for the US Senate hearings in the mid 1980s on "obscene lyrics" in then-current Rock, Pop and R & B musical releases.  "I'm the Man" also includes direct lyrics from the song that was quoted at the US Senate hearings. 

The song title in question?  "Golden Showers." 

GaryV

Garden Party by Ricky Nelson has some references.  Like "Yoko brought her walrus".

amroad17

John Hiatt in "Slow Turning" mentions the late, great Charlie Watts.
https://youtu.be/7UrueP3aM40
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

michravera

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 10, 2021, 12:34:32 PM
R O C K in the USA (John Mellencamp) name checks numerous artists
as does Sweet Soul Music (Arthur Conley)
and Sir Duke (Stevie Wonder)

Who Are You (Who) mentions T-Rex
God (John Lennon) mentions Elvis, The Beatles and Robert Zimmerman
Club at the End of the Street (Elton John) mentions Marvin Gaye, as does Rock Witcha (Bobby Brown)
Long May You Run (Neil Young) mentions Elvis and the Beach Boys
That Don't Impress Me Much (Shania Twain) mentions Elvis
Paul McCartney did a song called Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)
Hey 19 (Steely Dan) mentions Aretha Franklin
Weird Al Yankovic had a song called Still Billy Joel to Me that he didn't put out because Billy Joel objected
We Didn't Start the Fire (Billy Joel) mentions at least the Beatles

Of course, "Life Is a Rock (but the Radio Rolled Me)" and "Rock and Roll Heaven" do almost nothing else!

on_wisconsin

Drop this here (NSFW obviously):
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 26, 2021, 12:22:47 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 26, 2021, 12:07:22 AM
Dyer Straits in Money for Nothing, mentions indirectly George Michael using the video to aid that.  However, due to changing times, Cox Media censors out the word cigarette when they play the song on WMMO in Central Florida.  That was the bands way of calling out Michael" s sexuality at the time.

They used the word "queenie" in concerts, which in British English has the same general meaning but is less offensive.

Many stations will just omit the verse altogether.  I've heard it where they play the word backwards, a la what MTV did with the word "joint"  in the Tom Petty " You Don't Know How it Feels"  video.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ethanhopkin14

"Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows:  "I want to be Bob Dylan.  Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.