News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 22, 2021, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 04:32:03 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 22, 2021, 04:16:47 PM
There have been so many proposals to redevelop the Azalea Mall property over the years, but none of them have seen the light of day as Richmond City Council is uninterested in redevelopment.
Which is why Richmond isn't the best city to live in.

Richmond was *much* rougher at the time. That area has changed and is now mostly old money along Brook Road, with lower incomes over toward Chamberlayne Avenue.
Weren't they going to demolish I-95 and relocate it to where I-295 is now? I see it has those big bridges here.

I think right now, it should have been tunneled.

And over the decades, Petersburg and Richmond has seen no growth lately and that's a big setback.

Takumi

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 07:35:11 PM
There have been so many proposals to redevelop the Azalea Mall property over the years, but none of them have seen the light of day as Richmond City Council is uninterested in redevelopment.

Richmond was *much* rougher at the time. That area has changed and is now mostly old money along Brook Road, with lower incomes over toward Chamberlayne Avenue.
Weren't they going to demolish I-95 and relocate it to where I-295 is now? I see it has those big bridges here.
The plan was originally indeed to have I-95 routed onto current 295, but the current routing would have just been renumbered instead of demolished. I think it was pending a rerouting of I-85 that was cancelled, because it didn't happen when 295 was finished.

And over the decades, Petersburg and Richmond has seen no growth lately and that's a big setback.
Ehh...not really true, even if you're just referring to the cities themselves. Petersburg is somewhat stagnant due to continual government tomfoolery (and even then, nearby Fort Lee has expanded in recent years and that's brought some development to Petersburg), but Richmond is doing pretty well, and the western suburbs like Short Pump and Midlothian are still growing explosively.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tolbs17

Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 08:09:31 PM
Ehh...not really true, even if you're just referring to the cities themselves. Petersburg is somewhat stagnant due to continual government tomfoolery (and even then, nearby Fort Lee has expanded in recent years and that's brought some development to Petersburg), but Richmond is doing pretty well, and the western suburbs like Short Pump and Midlothian are still growing explosively.
And the growth of Short Pump is part of why I-295 extension plan was scrapped? I would love to see an entrance to the shopping center to and from the highway.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 22, 2021, 08:17:30 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 08:09:31 PM
And the growth of Short Pump is part of why I-295 extension plan was scrapped? I would love to see an entrance to the shopping center to and from the highway.

This is correct, there is a stub at the northern end of I-295 that would have tied into John Rolfe Pkwy, the originally intended routing for VA 288. Unfortunately there's such a short distance between the end of the stub and the road beyond that it's likely too dangerous to be used as an entrance, and the mall is about half a mile to the west anyway.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

Merged "revival of dead malls" thread erroneously posted in Sports to this thread.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kevinb1994

I was gonna say, hasn't the crack epidemic come and gone there?

Takumi

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 22, 2021, 10:26:29 PM

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 11:25:59 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 22, 2021, 10:26:29 PM

I mean, there was one. Just rolling with the punches.

Flint1979

I went to Portillo's in Sterling Heights last night. They haven't opened their dining room yet so you have to go through the drive thru. This is the second time I've gone there and I went and parked in Lakeside Mall's parking lot and sat under a tree to eat. I decided to go into the mall since I hadn't been in Lakeside in awhile and it looks as if it's dying a pretty good death. Macy's has two stores (A Home and Men's store) and a main store and JCPenney also has a store. Sears and Lord & Taylor have both shut their stores down, with Lord & Taylor shutting all their stores down. The mall seems to have some vacancy all over the place and this is a mall that was built by Taubman but they sold their part in the mall about 20 years ago. I don't see Lakeside in danger of closing as an entire mall like Northland and what Eastland will end up being like as well as Westland.

Stephane Dumas

roadman65

Century III Mall near Pittsburgh is not only dead, but buried. Once the third largest in the world, is now closed. It had good anchors when it was prime.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Tarrytown Mall was flooded in Rocky Mount, North Carolina from Hurricane Floyd back in 1999. That's probably because due to its low elevation and it was so close to the Tar River.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 19, 2022, 10:40:50 PM
Tarrytown Mall was flooded in Rocky Mount, North Carolina from Hurricane Floyd back in 1999. That's probably because due to its low elevation and it was so close to the Tar River.

That's not what "dead mall" means.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

hotdogPi

The Mall at Rockingham Park in Salem NH, noted for its lack of sales tax, is still doing relatively well compared to many other malls, but I still don't expect it to last another 5 years. It was the highest revenue Simon mall per square foot in 2015. If this mall goes, that means that the future of malls in general is bleak.

(Note that 5 years is a long time, and I'm just beginning to see the downturn.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MATraveler128

Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers, MA. If you live in that area and have been there, you can tell. The food court has a Regina Pizzeria, and a sushi place and that's it. The stores are run down and tired looking and are basically just Five Below, and a bunch of other mediocre places. Every time I go in there, it's never busy. I think what helps it out is the AMC movie theater and a SkyZone. It doesn't help though that the NorthShore Mall across the street has been recently updated following the closure of Sears.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kevinb1994

If they can close Pembroke, why can't they close Regency? (I mean the one near here.)

SectorZ

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 26, 2022, 09:11:50 AM
Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers, MA. If you live in that area and have been there, you can tell. The food court has a Regina Pizzeria, and a sushi place and that's it. The stores are run down and tired looking and are basically just Five Below, and a bunch of other mediocre places. Every time I go in there, it's never busy. I think what helps it out is the AMC movie theater and a SkyZone. It doesn't help though that the NorthShore Mall across the street has been recently updated following the closure of Sears.

Don't forget that the food court also has the ability to sign up to be cannon fodder in eastern Europe sometime soon. That's always a nice touch.

https://www.simon.com/mall/liberty-tree-mall/stores/food-court

(Point for further discussion, is this mall up there for dumpiest Simon run mall)

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2022, 08:17:15 AM
The Mall at Rockingham Park in Salem NH, noted for its lack of sales tax, is still doing relatively well compared to many other malls, but I still don't expect it to last another 5 years. It was the highest revenue Simon mall per square foot in 2015. If this mall goes, that means that the future of malls in general is bleak.

(Note that 5 years is a long time, and I'm just beginning to see the downturn.)

I will take the other side of the bet. In five years that mall will be just fine.

MATraveler128

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2022, 12:50:32 PM
Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers, MA. If you live in that area and have been there, you can tell. The food court has a Regina Pizzeria, and a sushi place and that’s it. The stores are run down and tired looking and are basically just Five Below, and a bunch of other mediocre places. Every time I go in there, it’s never busy. I think what helps it out is the AMC movie theater and a SkyZone. It doesn’t help though that the NorthShore Mall across the street has been recently updated following the closure of Sears.

Don't forget that the food court also has the ability to sign up to be cannon fodder in eastern Europe sometime soon. That's always a nice touch.

(Point for further discussion, is this mall up there for dumpiest Simon run mall)

I don’t know exactly, but that mall does seem run down given that Simon owns it. It is missing a lot of features that drive people to the mall in the first place. I wonder if Simon has any plans to try to make it more profitable. They do need to add more restaurants to the food court. Chick Fil A for example is easily the most popular spot at the food court, so that would be a nice addition, but they need more lifestyle options and more popular places to eat. Is there anything planned for the former AC Moore space that shut down?

Takumi

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 26, 2022, 09:32:06 AM
If they can close Pembroke, why can't they close Regency? (I mean the one near here.)
Also a fair question about the one in Virginia. If you told someone in Richmond in 2010 that Regency would outlive Virginia Center Commons, people would have thought you were crazy.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SectorZ

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 26, 2022, 01:06:49 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2022, 12:50:32 PM

I don't know exactly, but that mall does seem run down given that Simon owns it. It is missing a lot of features that drive people to the mall in the first place. I wonder if Simon has any plans to try to make it more profitable. They do need to add more restaurants to the food court. Chick Fil A for example is easily the most popular spot at the food court, so that would be a nice addition, but they need more lifestyle options and more popular places to eat. Is there anything planned for the former AC Moore space that shut down?

I haven't read anything about plans for anything new in that place. I can see the inside being gutted soon and being turned into a power center between the Kohl's and Best Buy, which would still allow the theatre, Marshall's, Old Navy, and Skyzone to exist in their own spaces as well.

Maybe even find the original Liberty Tree sculpture and put it back, which one of the mall owners made off with in the 80's.

Or... put the Carousel back that appeared in the 90's that was then taken out by Simon in the 2000's and put in the Rockingham Park Mall, only for that to disappear not long after from there

(Mall owners are great at making their predecessors unique draws disappear with alarming consistency)

MATraveler128

I think the Square One Mall in Saugus is another one that has seen better days. I recently visited it two weeks ago after not have been since I was a kid, The downfall there is also showing, although not as bad as Liberty Tree. The only reason it was busy there was because of a COVID testing site.

thenetwork

Simon Properties bought Mesa Mall in Grand Junction, CO a few years ago, but did little to enhance it.

Before I knew it, they sold it to someone else.

I believe under this current owners watch, they knocked down the old Sears and replaced it with a brand new Dillards, the old Herberger's was torn down and a brand new Dick's Sporting Goods is in its place and the old Sports Authority store was fitted and converted to a Home  Goods.

That being said, there are still a lot of 2nd-rate non-chain stores that occupy a lot of the mall wings (like a candy store that only sells candy from Mexico & Central America).

We still have a JCPenney -- that has a lot of empty spaces -- a Target and a Cabela's as anchors as well, but the current owners still haven't remodeled the mall interior much.  There are still the same discolored, sagging ceiling tiles and faded area photos in the main "courtyard", so it's hard to tell how this mall will fare as-is, or if they convert it to an outdoor shopping community in the years to come.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/MbbZWeaqR3BN7RVL8

Looks like Livingston Mall in Livingston, NJ died from the GSV image.  However I am guessing that last Summer NJ still had Covid restrictions as from what I researched the Mall is still open except for Sears which never got vacated yet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2022, 10:28:50 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/MbbZWeaqR3BN7RVL8

Looks like Livingston Mall in Livingston, NJ died from the GSV image.  However I am guessing that last Summer NJ still had Covid restrictions as from what I researched the Mall is still open except for Sears which never got vacated yet.
I used to go there with my dad when I was on vacation. Guess it's time for a new era...

Alternatives would be Short Hills or Bridgewater malls.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.