Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: SW Indiana on August 26, 2021, 11:38:23 AM
Has anyone heard when the closed Martinsville segment is scheduled to reopen? A FB commenter on the I-69 Finish Line page claims they heard they are several months behind. Just curious of the validity of that statement.
I ask people that make bold claims like this one for a source, and if they can't or refuse to provide one, I go with that they're lying.

ITB

Picture update. Photos were taken Thursday, September 2, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1, aka the "Martinsville" segment

Looking north from Twin Branch Road about 1/2 mile north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. The northbound roadway has had its base layer applied, one of the final steps before paving. Stacks of dowel rod assemblies line the route, ready for placement. In this location, a concrete barrier wall will be constructed. Crews likely will pave the roadway first, with the concrete pours for the barrier wall to follow later.

The view in the other direction; looking south. In the background is the overpass that carries State Road 44. Dowel rod assemblies have been placed in northbound roadway (expand the photo), indicative that concrete paving will soon commence.

Looking south from near the intersection of State Road 37 and Morgan Street, the northern closure point of the Martinsville segment just north of Martinsville. A crew was working into the evening paving the shoulder of the southbound roadway. The road on the left is Twin Branch Road.

Closer look at the paving operation.

Long range perspective looking north from Twin Branch Road. The Martinsville segment will be paved in concrete up to spot where the asphalt pavement begins.

Surveyors at work in preparation to the commencement of paving.

Another look, looking north, toward the northern closure of the Martinsville segment.

Another perspective looking south from near the State Road 37/Morgan Street crossing.

wanderer2575

Very cool.  Thank you for taking and sharing all these photos as the project progresses.

ITB

Another batch. Photos were taken Thursday, September 2, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville. Discernible in the background are the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch, and further back is a small section of the MSE wall for the interchange at Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road.

Closer look using the long range lens. Some sort of work was ongoing near the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch, while, at the same time, a crew worked on a section of sound wall (right).

The view in the other direction; looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. The placing of sub-base material for the mainline is now underway in this section, after which base material will be put down and compressed, with concrete paving to follow.

Another view, looking north. The large mound of dirt is the built up ground for the approach to the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive in Martinsville. In the deep background is the State Road 44 overpass.

And here's that mound from another perspective; looking east. A concrete pour is underway, one of many, for the south abutment of the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Drive.

Mid range view of the SR 252/Hospital Drive work zone; looking east. Beams are expected to be installed sometime after Labor Day. This bridge and interchange probably will be the last to complete as construction of the Martinsville segment begins to come to a close.

Another look south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville.

Mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road in Martinsville; looking southeast. Beams were installed earlier this week.

Another view of the Ohio Street/Mahalasville Road work zone; looking southeast.

Life in Paradise

Do we know how the local Martinsville businesses have been coping over the summer?  There's obviously less traffic through the area (since most of the through traffic has been diverted into town on IN-39), but there would have been a drop off from people avoiding the corridor, and some of those businesses being harder to get to.

CtrlAltDel

What is that gray-ish bumpy-sih corrugated-ish stuff? I assume it stabilizes the earth in some way, but what is it?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

edwaleni

I-69 in Martinsville: State works with IU to direct gameday traffic

https://www.reporter-times.com/story/news/local/2021/09/03/69-martinsville-state-works-iu-direct-gameday-traffic/5711836001/

MORGAN COUNTY – With the arrival of Labor Day weekend, the unofficial end of summer is here.

For many in south central Indiana – the arrival of autumn means colorful foliage, camp fires, chili and apple cider.

It also means that the football season is in full swing.

On Saturday, Sept. 11, the IU Hoosiers will play its first home game against the Idaho Vandals at Memorial Stadium.

With fans in the stands, that generally always means a large amount of traffic coming down Ind. 37 between Indianapolis and Bloomington – right through Morgan County.

With the closure of a five-mile stretch of Ind. 37 in Martinsville, traveling to an IU game will likely look different for many wanting to attend a game.

The state's official detour route around the construction for motorists include Ind. 144, Ind. 67 and Ind. 39.

HNTB Senior Project Manager Tim Miller said that the state and IU athletics department are in active conversations to discuss traffic for events on the Bloomington campus.

"We have already had coordination meetings for the last month and a half with IU to make sure that they're aware of our operations and we are aware of game times and start times," Miller said.

HNTB is a private company that is working with INDOT on the I-69 Finish Line project, the sixth leg of work to extend the interstate from Indianapolis to Evansville.

"Obviously, we are encouraging people to leave early," Miller said. "We are coordinating between both the INDOT and IU athletic to make sure we get that information out to both the season ticket holders and people who are traveling."

On Friday morning, the city of Martinsville issued a press release noting that local residents should "expect to see an increase in police presence on Martinsville streets in an effort to keep the traffic flowing," during IU home football games.

"Residents are encouraged to avoid Morgan Street and the State Road 39 bypass during the hours preceding and following the home games," the city stated in its release.

Kickoff for the first three home games include:

7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11
Noon on Saturday, Sept. 18
Noon on Saturday, Oct. 16

Miller noted that the state will also be looking at timing for traffic signals on game days.

"All of that is being coordinated with (INDOT's) district office, as well as with Bloomington," Miller said.

I-69 Finish Line Project Manager Sarah Rubin said that work along the future I-69 corridor, and specifically the closed portion of the roadway in Martinsville, is going well.

The five-mile stretch of Ind. 37 through Martinsville was closed in early January.

"We are still targeting to have that completed by the end of this construction season," Rubin noted.

Right now, crews are waiting on material along the corridor to settle into place and paving operations will continue in the coming weeks.

Rubin noted that there are some areas throughout the I-69 corridor will start to see paving sooner than others because the material has already settled properly.

One change that is expected to occur this month along the future interstate corridor is opening of the Henderson Ford Road bridge over the highway.

According to Miller, the bridge and southbound Ind. 37 exit onto Henderson Ford Road is expected to open by the end of September.

In Rubin's opinion, the Ind. 37 closure in Martinsville has gone as planned.

"I think motorists have adjusted into the rhythm of taking the official detour route," Rubin said.

She added that the state has been cognizant of where motorists are traveling and has placed signage in an attempt divert the traffic off local roads and onto state-maintained highways in order to "minimize their impact to the local road network."

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 04, 2021, 03:23:09 PM

What is that gray-ish bumpy-sih corrugated-ish stuff? I assume it stabilizes the earth in some way, but what is it?

It's one of the many special erosion control blankets they are using along the corridor.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 04, 2021, 11:59:46 PM

It's one of the many special erosion control blankets they are using along the corridor.

What type of material/element is it?

ITB

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 05, 2021, 12:20:41 AM

It's a concrete block mat, a now common alternative to rip-rap. Small concrete shapes, usually either square or round, are attached to a high strength geogrid netting base, forming a flexible mat. Spaces between the blocks allow vegetation to grow, which, in time, will cover the mat, making it nearly invisible. More about concrete flex mats can be found here and here.

ITB

Came across some rolls of concrete block flex mats on my most recent look-see to Martinsville. Photo was taken Sunday, September 5, 2021.

At the State Road 44 work zone in Martinsville, Indiana; looking slightly southeast.

bmeiser

ITB

The Labor Day weekend is usually a good weekend for picture taking, so went back up to Martinsville again to snap a few. Photos were taken Sunday, September 5, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from near the State Road overpass in Martinsville, Indiana. On the right is the future on ramp from SR 44 to I-69 northbound. The area with the lighter shade adjacent to the on ramp appears to be a section (shoulder?) of the northbound collector-distributor lane, which will run from near the State Road 252/Hospital Drive interchange to just beyond the SR 44 interchange.

Rows of dowel rod assemblies embedded in the mainline northbound roadway about a quarter mile north of the State Road 44 overpass; looking north. Paving with concrete should commence this week from this spot, moving north to a stopping point near the State Road 37/Morgan Street intersection. Seems as if they'll be able to knock this paving project out in two or three days.

The paving equipment just north of the State Road 44 overpass; looking north.

Close up of the GOMACO PS-2600 placer/spreader at the State Road 44 work zone; looking north.

Mid range perspective of the future on ramp from State Road 44 to I-69 northbound in Martinsville, Indiana; looking north from near the State Road 44 overpass.

Foundation for a lighting fixture or sign near the State Road 44 overpass; looking north.

silverback1065

Quote from: ITB on September 05, 2021, 02:03:49 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 05, 2021, 12:20:41 AM

It's a concrete block mat, a now common alternative to rip-rap. Small concrete shapes, usually either square or round, are attached to a high strength geogrid netting base, forming a flexible mat. Spaces between the blocks allow vegetation to grow, which, in time, will cover the mat, making it nearly invisible. More about concrete flex mats can be found here and here.

That's correct! they're called Fleximat.

ITB

Here's another batch of pictures taken over the Labor Day weekend in Martinsville. Visible progress now can be discerned almost every day along the segment, an inflection point of the project, so to say, when completion begins to come into better focus. Photos were taken Monday, September 6, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1 (aka Martinsville segment)

Looking east toward the northbound roadway from near the future I-69/State Road 39-Morton Ave. interchange in Martinsville, Indiana. Interestingly, the shoulder also has been paved with concrete with a beveled edge no less.

Slightly different perspective of the above, but more clearly showing the beveled edge; looking east.

The eastern roundabout of the future I-69/State Road 39-Morton Ave. interchange; looking south.

The underpass at the State Road 39-Morton Ave. interchange; looking south. The on-ramp to I-69 northbound is on the right, while the northbound off-ramp to SR 39-Morton Ave. is on the left.

Here's the perspective from the other direction; looking slightly northwest. In the foreground are the ramps, not yet divided, to and from I-69 northbound. The ramp to I-69 southbound is on the left. Next year, the full roundabout planned at this location will be completed. The road in the background is SR 39-Morton Ave., the current detour for all I-69 traffic.

Different perspective of the above; looking west. The I-69 southbound off-ramp to SR 39-Morton Ave. is on the far right. The ramps to/from I-69 northbound, which go under the mainline via the underpass (pictured above), are on the left.

The view looking southwest from atop the I-69/SR 39-Morton Ave. interchange. The approach slabs to the mainline bridges have yet to be poured at this location. Note all I-69 traffic shunted onto SR 39-Morton Ave. Generally, the detour appears to have worked as planned with no major issues.

Drainage piping re-work on the northbound roadway near the former State Road 37/Burton Lane crossing in Martinsville; looking slightly northeast. Obviously, something didn't go as planned, as the roadway shoulder slab has been cut to access the concrete pipe.

Another look at the drainage re-work currently underway; looking north. The location of this slab cut and re-work cut can be seen in the top two photos of this set. 

Close up of the shoulder slab; looking east from near the SR 39-Morton Ave. interchange.

ITB

Continuing the picture update from Martinsville. Photos were taken Monday, September 6, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

South abutment of the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Drive in Martinsville, Indiana; looking southeast.

The retaining wall and approach to the north abutment (left, but out of view) of the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking slightly northwest. The State Road 44 overpass is in the background.

Heavy equipment at the SR 252/Hospital Dr. work zone.

Another perspective of the south abutment of the bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking southeast. The embedded metal bearings on the top — two on the left, one on the right — indicate that beam placement is soon forthcoming.

View of the SR 252/Hospital Dr. work zone; looking north.

Enormous crane spreader bar on site at the State Road 252/Hospital Drive work zone; looking east.

And here's how that spreader bar was used during the placement of the beams over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking east. Photo was taken Tuesday, September 7, 2021.

Broader view of the beam placement; looking east. With the installation of the beams over SR 252/Hospital Dr., the beam placing phase of the Martinsville segment is now complete. Photo was taken Tuesday, September 7, 2021.

Edit: grammar and readability

ITB

A few more pictures that were taken over the Labor Day weekend in Martinsville. Photos were taken Sunday, September 5, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from near the SR 44 overpass in Martinsville. Discernible in the background, the route of I-69 curves right, passing between two hills. Just beyond that point is the Liberty Church Road interchange.

State Road 44 overpass and adjacent local identifying monument in Martinsville; looking west.

Looking north from the SR 44 overpass. The future on-ramp to I-69 northbound is on the right.

The deck of the State Road 44 overpass; looking west. On the sign, the "69" of the interstate shield, previously displayed, is now covered.

View looking south from the SR 44 work zone using the zoom lens.

What the eye sees looking south from near the SR 44 overpass.

Mainline pavement of the the northbound lanes just north of the former SR 37/Burton Lane crossing in Martinsville; looking east. In the background, somewhat visible, are the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Road.

That's all for now. I'll head out for another look-see in Martinsville as we get into October.

silverback1065

seems like they will meet the thanksgiving deadline at this pace.

Interstate 69 Fan

Opening September 13th in Morgan County:

SB SR 37 exit ramp to Henderson Ford Road
Henderson Ford Road overpass over SR 37 opens
New Harmony Road access road opens on the south side of SR 37 from Henderson Ford Road to Ennis road, where it will connect with SR 37, allowing northbound traffic to access Henderson Ford.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

IndyAgent

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on September 10, 2021, 01:14:46 PM

New Harmony Road access road opens on the south side of SR 37 from Henderson Ford Road to Ennis road, where it will connect with SR 37, allowing northbound traffic to access Henderson Ford.
I didnt think that exit would open until 2022, am I missing something?

silverback1065

Quote from: IndyAgent on September 21, 2021, 01:35:41 PM

Half is open now. the other half next year.

IndyAgent

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 21, 2021, 01:38:18 PM
Quote from: IndyAgent on September 21, 2021, 01:35:41 PM

Half is open now. the other half next year.

Thank you

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

ITB

A few pictures of Section 6, Segment 1, aka the Martinsville segment. Photos were taken Friday, September 24, 2021.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville, Indiana. With the dowel rod assembles in place, paving will soon commence in this vicinity.

The view in the other direction; looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. Couple of girls decided they needed to get from one side to the other, but were too lazy to walk to the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass and its wide sidewalks. In the background near the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch sits a paving machine.

Long range perspective looking north toward the State Road 37/Morgan Street access point. Most of the northbound roadway is now paved in the vicinity north of the State Road 44 overpass. After the drainage pipe installation, the concrete paving team will return to pave the shoulder.

Installation of drainage piping/tubing along the northbound roadway of future I-69 about a 1/2 mile north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville; looking west.

About a 1/2 mile north of the State Road 44 overpass, as a long Friday of work begins to come to a close; looking west.

Closer view looking north toward the State Road 37/Morgan Street access point. In the background is a section of completed concrete barrier wall.

Work continued on the installation of the drainage piping as early evening approached; looking west.

Closer look of the drainage piping work.

Another view looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville. Seems that when the northbound paving pass is completed in this area, the crew will turn around and immediately pave a section of the southbound roadway.

silverback1065

still a long way to go. i wonder if this will even open in november, i see subbase in the foreground of your 1st picture!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.