News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Southbound 95 approaching 295 has had a sign for years, but did not include travel times.  Does it now?

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2016, 08:45:30 AM
Southbound 95 approaching 295 has had a sign for years, but did not include travel times.  Does it now?

Checking GSV from February of this year (if you are referring to this one), the answer seems to be no.  I do not remember seeing travel times there when I drove that way about a month ago.  I do remember travel times on this sign for VA Beach via I-64 and US 460 (no diagram) on I-295 SB just past US 301/VA 2(Exit 41).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 06, 2016, 09:03:35 AM
Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2016, 08:45:30 AM

Checking GSV from February of this year (if you are referring to this one), the answer seems to be no.  I do not remember seeing travel times there when I drove that way about a month ago.  I do remember travel times on this sign for VA Beach via I-64 and US 460 (no diagram) on I-295 SB just past US 301/VA 2(Exit 41).

There is also one for I-64 vs. US 60 to Williamsburg located on I-295 SB just past the US 360 interchange - https://goo.gl/maps/cXivaEjTJf22

Seems to me the one for I-64 vs. I-295 should either say I-64/295 Jct west of Richmond or just Charlottesville.

1995hoo

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 05, 2016, 11:59:32 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 05, 2016, 09:44:29 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on August 05, 2016, 06:11:55 PM
Spotted another new Travel Time sign on Thursday, this one on I-64 WB a few miles east of I-295, and again in all-FHWA. Will have to check to see if it has an eastbound partner west of town on Monday.

"West of Richmond" seems a little weird, and the sign itself reads kind of strangely (take I-64 to...I-64?). Maybe "Short Pump" (or "Sandston" for the EB one).
I kind of agree. One of the things that has always annoyed me about these signs is that it's hard to tell what point the travel time is actually to unless your're rather familiar with the area. Examples include the sign for "I-295 / Richmond" with times for US-460 and I-664 to I-64 to Exit 28 (I think) that's located just past the High Rise Bridge on I-64 EB, or the VA-168 / OUTER BANKS sign which shows times to Exit 291, not the Wright Bros. Bridge.

For that reason, I don't think I'd use an exit number as froggie suggests, simply because drivers unfamiliar with the area aren't likely to know where the exit number is. Or, to put that differently, someone who makes that drive on a regular basis is likely to be familiar enough with the area to have a general sense for which route is going to be quicker at a particular time of day or day of the week (that is, you might see something different on a Sunday afternoon with long-distance beach traffic heading home compared to on a Wednesday afternoon with Richmond commuters, right?). That person might be familiar with the exit numbers, but he's less likely to need the sign in the first place unless there's some significant traffic event screwing up one of the routes. A person from out of the area who doesn't know the roads well enough to have a sense for the traffic patterns is also less likely to be helped by a simple exit number.

With all that said, I don't know what the right way to word it is. I don't think "Charlottesville" by itself is sufficient because it's potentially misleading in that it's not giving you the time to Charlottesville but rather to the road leading to Charlottesville. Perhaps "[I-64] West to Charlottesville" or "Thru Traffic TO [I-64] West to Charlottesville" might work, although the latter might be too long to fit on one line.

The travel-time signs are a noble idea, though. The ones on southbound I-95 north of Richmond are intended to help unfamiliar motorists understand they can bypass Richmond and still return to I-95, but in my admittedly unscientific observation there are still plenty of people who stay on I-95. No doubt in some cases that's because they see it's a shorter distance. (We took I-95 instead of I-295 three weeks ago due to a greater selection of breakfast stops and not having been that way in 14 years, but that's a different consideration.) Perhaps the travel-time signs would help divert more people onto I-295. I can confirm that as of three weeks ago the signs froggie asks about on southbound I-95 did not list travel times.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote from: 1995hooFor that reason, I don't think I'd use an exit number as froggie suggests, simply because drivers unfamiliar with the area aren't likely to know where the exit number is.

I'll make the counter argument that out-of-region drivers are more likely to figure out an exit number location (given that Virginia uses mile-base exit numbers) than they are a small village or hamlet that few outside the region would be familiar with (i.e. the above-mentioned "Sandston").  The problem with I-64 in the Richmond area is that there are few (if any) placenames that would be easily understood that could be used for such signs.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on August 06, 2016, 04:36:34 PM
Quote from: 1995hooFor that reason, I don't think I'd use an exit number as froggie suggests, simply because drivers unfamiliar with the area aren't likely to know where the exit number is.

I'll make the counter argument that out-of-region drivers are more likely to figure out an exit number location (given that Virginia uses mile-base exit numbers) than they are a small village or hamlet that few outside the region would be familiar with (i.e. the above-mentioned "Sandston").  The problem with I-64 in the Richmond area is that there are few (if any) placenames that would be easily understood that could be used for such signs.

The boldfaced sentence underscores why we're having this discussion!

hbelkins

Why not use "I-64 Corridor Thru Traffic?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

It could also make sense to put no destination at all.

People would have to interpret the times as how long it took before the routes met again, yes...?

1995hoo

Or perhaps put a distance. Maybe something like "I-64/I-295 western junction" with the diagram underneath, then "Via I-64/X miles, Y minutes" and the same for I-295. Obviously the distances would be permanent numbers since they don't change. Might not tell you exactly where the western junction is, but the exact location isn't necessarily the point anyway.

The potential problem with this notion is that it might encourage too many people to go through the city if the travel times don't differ significantly.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 07, 2016, 11:54:53 AM
The potential problem with this notion is that it might encourage too many people to go through the city if the travel times don't differ significantly.

I seldom use the I-95 alignment through Richmond (the old RTP), unless I am going to a meeting in Richmond (fairly rare) or am taking a trip that has me headed toward I-85 in Petersburg.  Otherwise, the I-295 alignment is so much better and easier to drive.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 07, 2016, 12:41:01 PM

I seldom use the I-95 alignment through Richmond (the old RTP), unless I am going to a meeting in Richmond (fairly rare) or am taking a trip that has me headed toward I-85 in Petersburg.  Otherwise, the I-295 alignment is so much better and easier to drive.

Sure, but the members of this forum are probably not the primary target audience for that sort of sign!

I've actually taken I-295 after coming north on I-85. I turned south on I-95 and used it to connect to I-295. This was back in the late 1990s when I was moving out of my apartment at Duke and I had enough stuff crammed into the car that my view through the mirrors was somewhat obstructed, so I felt I-295 would be a considerably easier and safer option compared to going through downtown Richmond's twisty segment. Going that way actually worked pretty well and it's not really that far between I-85 and the southern end of I-295.

noelbotevera

I'll be honest, while in Richmond for a week, I found I-295 to be quicker, but I-95 was just as quick. I could clear the area in about 30 minutes.

I was thinking of using an interstate junction, such as using Staunton or To I-81.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

74/171FAN

Or perhaps put a distance. Maybe something like "I-64/I-295 western junction" with the diagram underneath, then "Via I-64/X miles, Y minutes" and the same for I-295. Obviously the distances would be permanent numbers since they don't change. Might not tell you exactly where the western junction is, but the exact location isn't necessarily the point anyway.

That is practically what PA does on all VMSes that show travel times.  The main on with separate roads that I have seen is one showing the distance to New Jersey on I-78/US 22 EB a couple miles west of its split at Exit 51.  (The GSV link from November 2015 shows distances to exits via US 22 instead though but it is at this location.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

The US 17 widening northwest of Fredericksburg to 6 lanes from I-95 to Stafford Lakes Parkway is complete.

This may not help that much when it comes to traffic heading from US 17 SB onto I-95 SB though, at least for now.  (I-95 traffic would still be for me the predetermining factor on how to proceed towards Richmond from the Warrenton area for the record.)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 15, 2016, 05:58:58 PM
The US 17 widening northwest of Fredericksburg to 6 lanes from I-95 to Stafford Lakes Parkway is complete.

This may not help that much when it comes to traffic heading from US 17 SB onto I-95 SB though, at least for now.  (I-95 traffic would still be the predetermining factor on how to proceed towards Richmond from the Warrenton area for the record.)

I was in that area on Sunday. Traffic was still a little messy but this is likely due to the remaining "cleanup" construction going on - work zone speed limits are still in place. I imagine once that's done things will be a little smoother. I can remember traffic being a nightmare on this stretch at times when I was younger and lived in that area (though not to the extent of US 1 and US 17 BUSINESS near the Falmouth Bridge...which hasn't improved much despite that project being completed).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 16, 2016, 09:43:15 AM

This may not help that much when it comes to traffic heading from US 17 SB onto I-95 SB though, at least for now.  (I-95 traffic would still be the predetermining factor on how to proceed towards Richmond from the Warrenton area for the record.)

I was in that area on Sunday. Traffic was still a little messy but this is likely due to the remaining "cleanup" construction going on - work zone speed limits are still in place. I imagine once that's done things will be a little smoother. I can remember traffic being a nightmare on this stretch at times when I was younger and lived in that area (though not to the extent of US 1 and US 17 BUSINESS near the Falmouth Bridge...which hasn't improved much despite that project being completed).

I only saw it once or twice (so I may be completely in the wrong here), but I thought the problem with the intersection in Falmouth had to do with split phases in all directions.    (I remember a couple of lights on US 1 including the SR 630 intersection in Stafford CH phased this way.)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2016, 03:49:08 PM

I only saw it once or twice (so I may be completely in the wrong here), but I thought the problem with the intersection in Falmouth had to do with split phases in all directions.    (I remember a couple of lights on US 1 including the SR 630 intersection in Stafford CH phased this way.)

That was part of the problem. The other part was the complete lack of dedicated turn lanes in all directions, resulting in extremely long queues over the Falmouth Bridge and up US 17 BUSINESS. The project improved this somewhat, but the queues are still fairly long and slow to clear.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

US 17 Business Drawbridge Replacement in Deep Creek (part of Chesapeake) is to officially be signed off on tomorrow.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Should Alexandria rename Jefferson Davis Highway, keep other Confederate symbols?

QuoteThe Jefferson Davis Highway in Alexandria should be renamed and the Confederate memorial statue in Old Town should stay, a group convened to address vestiges of the Civil War is recommending to the city council.

QuoteThe recommendations in a report released Thursday come almost a year after Alexandria officials began grappling with how the suburb honors its legacy of fighting to keep African-Americans enslaved.

QuoteCity councilors considered the matter in September, setting up a task force of community leaders to examine Confederate memorials and street names by studying history and gathering comments from the public.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 16, 2016, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2016, 03:49:08 PM

That was part of the problem. The other part was the complete lack of dedicated turn lanes in all directions, resulting in extremely long queues over the Falmouth Bridge and up US 17 BUSINESS. The project improved this somewhat, but the queues are still fairly long and slow to clear.

I respectfully disagree

This intersection is much much better based on driving through it on a daily basis.

Mike
Off the coast of Denmark

plain

I noticed I-295/Va288 and the Richmond Beltway concept being discussed in this thread. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm pretty sure some of you know about one of VDOT's old plans to extend 295 (which much of it of course was to be a rerouted 95) to I-85... which brings me back to the beltway thing: instead of just stopping at 85, how about this..

I think this would serve both local and interstate traffic better than all of the old proposals suggested, plus it would make one hell of a beltway/twin bypass
Newark born, Richmond bred

Thing 342

Quote from: plain on August 20, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
I noticed I-295/Va288 and the Richmond Beltway concept being discussed in this thread. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm pretty sure some of you know about one of VDOT's old plans to extend 295 (which much of it of course was to be a rerouted 95) to I-85... which brings me back to the beltway thing: instead of just stopping at 85, how about this..

I think this would serve both local and interstate traffic better than all of the old proposals suggested, plus it would make one hell of a beltway/twin bypass
Not totally familiar with that part of Chesterfield, but IIRC it's not particularly developed. I don't think Richmond really needs a second bypass, as I-295 and VA-288 handle most traffic fairly well. A freeway connection between I-295 and I-85 would be useful, but I don't see it in the cards.

amroad17

^ Anyone notice VA 156 is likely the most convoluted state highway in Virginia?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Mapmikey

I nominate va 337

There was once a proposal to have I195 go to Petersburg. Don't recall if a routing had been suggested

74/171FAN

Quote from: plain on August 20, 2016, 10:58:45 PM

Well Chesterfield wants to ultimately have the East-West Freeway (see the freeway line that goes to US 360 as the Powhite Pkwy Extension and curves to the east paralleling VA 288 to the south) built at some point.  I also remembering reading about a North-South Freeway to I-85 somewhere in the distant future.

Personally, I would prefer a 6-laned VA 288 and improvements at the I-95/VA 288 interchange before the East-West Freeway.  Also Chesterfield County is currently planning improvements at the I-95 interchange with VA 10 and the VA 288 interchange at Commonwealth Centre Pkwy (SR 2055).

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 21, 2016, 05:07:31 AM
There was once a proposal to have I-195 go to Petersburg. Don't recall if a routing had been suggested

Does the North-South Freeway have anything to do with that?

Quote from: amroad17 on August 21, 2016, 03:05:36 AM
^ Anyone notice VA 156 is likely the most convoluted state highway in Virginia?
Quote from: Mapmikey on August 21, 2016, 05:07:31 AM
I nominate VA 337

I want to say VA 165 despite it being in a mostly northwest-southeast orientation from VA 337 in Norfolk to VA 149.  The main convolution comes on the east-west part from US 17 Bus to VA 149 obviously.  I will agree that I am not fond of the routing of VA 156 north of the James River.  (Personally I would have it end in Hopewell and delete the VA 156 Bypass Route.  I may be biased since VA 156 in Prince George was practically the most important road in my life as a child.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.