News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 02:31:14 PM
Related to the I-95 SC thread, I've done an analysis of I-95 traffic volumes south of Petersburg and posted the results there.  In short, except for spot locations in Petersburg, volumes do not currently support widening I-95 between Petersburg and the NC line.

I must disagree with your methodology - in terms of deciding if a road needs to be widened, you should also look at peak hour volumes (and ideally peak period "rush hour") volumes and percentages of medium and heavy-duty trucks, plus vehicle probe speeds.  Just looking at annual average daily traffic (AADT) or annual average weekday traffic (AAWDT) is generally not enough (and I realize you are not getting paid to do such an analysis).

EDIT: Having now read your post, you did much more than a simplistic compilation of AADT or AAWDT data.  Good job!  I would, however, suggest that an analysis of vehicle probe data would be warranted to see if speeds drop, where they drop and by how much they drop, especially in summer and around holidays. I see you posted one for South Carolina, but it's over the course of a year, not disaggregated by season or weekday/weekend/holiday.

Now from casual observation, I have generally found traffic on I-95 in Virginia between the North Carolina border and Petersburg to be lighter than it is across much of North Carolina, and never really been able to determine why that is (does a lot of traffic leave I-95 at Emporia to head east on U.S. 58 toward Hampton Roads and does some of it exit at U.S. 158 at Roanoke Rapids, N.C.?).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on February 01, 2017, 06:51:39 PM
Related to the I-95 SC thread, I've done an analysis of I-95 traffic volumes south of Petersburg and posted the results there.  In short, except for spot locations in Petersburg, volumes do not currently support widening I-95 between Petersburg and the NC line.

I wouldn't think that part of I-95 would need widening anyway and I don't know why officials ever gave it serious thought in the first place. Even if interstate traffic grow over the next decade or so, that stretch should be good enough to handle that as is.. the only exit that sees a lot of activity is at Exit 12 and I never see any congestion. I think VA should concentrate on widening I-95 north of Richmond instead. I believe 8 lanes from Exit 84 to Exit 104 would definitely help with the problems there

I would love to see the Exit 104 interchange  (Junction of I-95 and VA-207) at Ruther Glen/Carmel Church in Caroline County totally rebuilt to make it much more "truck friendly," given the presence of so many truck-related businesses there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Quote from: cpzilliacusI would, however, suggest that an analysis of vehicle probe data would be warranted to see if speeds drop, where they drop and by how much they drop, especially in summer and around holidays.

The INRIX analysis I referred to previously in the I-95 SC thread suggests that my results are a "worse case" than reality.  I found lengthy segments at LOS D while their analysis (which included speed analysis) found only one small segment in South Carolina that was LOS C for one hour.

QuoteNow from casual observation, I have generally found traffic on I-95 in Virginia between the North Carolina border and Petersburg to be lighter than it is across much of North Carolina, and never really been able to determine why that is (does a lot of traffic leave I-95 at Emporia to head east on U.S. 58 toward Hampton Roads and does some of it exit at U.S. 158 at Roanoke Rapids, N.C.?).

There's a 7K drop in average daily traffic going from south of US 58 to north of US 58, which might explain your observation.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacusI would, however, suggest that an analysis of vehicle probe data would be warranted to see if speeds drop, where they drop and by how much they drop, especially in summer and around holidays.

The INRIX analysis I referred to previously in the I-95 SC thread suggests that my results are a "worse case" than reality.  I found lengthy segments at LOS D while their analysis (which included speed analysis) found only one small segment in South Carolina that was LOS C for one hour.

I would love to see it disaggregated by season, weekend and holidays. 

Based on my observations, traffic on I-95 in South  Carolina is generally light between I-26 (Orangeburg County) and I-20.  It is usually noticeably heavier north of I-20 (Florence County on the edge of Florence), continuing north toward South of the Border and into North Carolina. 

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
QuoteNow from casual observation, I have generally found traffic on I-95 in Virginia between the North Carolina border and Petersburg to be lighter than it is across much of North Carolina, and never really been able to determine why that is (does a lot of traffic leave I-95 at Emporia to head east on U.S. 58 toward Hampton Roads and does some of it exit at U.S. 158 at Roanoke Rapids, N.C.?).

There's a 7K drop in average daily traffic going from south of US 58 to north of US 58, which might explain your observation.

That might be enough to explain it.  As an aside, I have seen more drivers stopped by the VSP (apparently) for speeding between Emporia and Petersburg than along any other part of the I-95 corridor in Virginia (that is not systematic, but  the opportunities to speed are probably greater there than between Petersburg and the Wilson Bridge).

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 01, 2017, 07:14:57 PM
Quote from: plain on February 01, 2017, 06:51:39 PM

I wouldn't think that part of I-95 would need widening anyway and I don't know why officials ever gave it serious thought in the first place. Even if interstate traffic grow over the next decade or so, that stretch should be good enough to handle that as is.. the only exit that sees a lot of activity is at Exit 12 and I never see any congestion. I think VA should concentrate on widening I-95 north of Richmond instead. I believe 8 lanes from Exit 84 to Exit 104 would definitely help with the problems there

I would love to see the Exit 104 interchange  (Junction of I-95 and VA-207) at Ruther Glen/Carmel Church in Caroline County totally rebuilt to make it much more "truck friendly," given the presence of so many truck-related businesses there.

VA 207 in that area has been modified quite a few times over the years going northeast from the interstate, with the latest configuration not having an intersection with cross traffic (and accompanying traffic signal) until the current SR 652, which is over a half mile past the former intersection at SR 782. This has eliminated the congestion in the area from trucks queuing at the old intersection and light. As for the interchange with I-95 itself, the main issue left is that loop ramp from VA 207 SB to I-95 SB, which is very tight with a sharp turn at the bottom and has caused some serious rollover crashes (I saw 2 trucks and a van roll over myself when I worked in that area). The only solution I see to this is to eliminate the ramp and go with either a standard diamond (which will only recreate another queuing issue), a DDI (not much better in this case) or a flyover ($$$$$).
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 01, 2017, 06:52:32 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2017, 07:19:53 PM
Said person must not have lived here in the bad old days when Maryland had a cloverleaf at US-50 and the Beltway.

Maryland still has two awful "original" cloverleaf interchanges (early 1960's design) on the I-95 part of Capital Beltway in Prince George's County at the Baltimore-Washington Parkway ("secret" MD-295) in Greenbelt and at Pennsylvania Avenue Extended (MD-4) in Forestville. 

The one at Georgia Avenue had an accident every day on my commute when I lived in DC, without any exaggeration.  Glad they finally reconfigured the ramps there to remove the far-too-short weave on the Outer Loop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on February 02, 2017, 10:08:34 AM
The one at Georgia Avenue had an accident every day on my commute when I lived in DC, without any exaggeration.  Glad they finally reconfigured the ramps there to remove the far-too-short weave on the Outer Loop.

The interchanges on I-495 between Exit 29, MD-193 (University Boulevard East) and Exit 31, MD-97 (Georgia Avenue) and including Exit 39, U.S. 29 (Colesville Road) are some of the oldest on the entire freeway.  They are not the oldest, but this part of the Beltway opened to traffic in 1962, roughly two years before the entire road was completed and opened.  There was plenty of development around all three interchanges, and especially at MD-97, so Maryland State Roads Commission (SRC), predecessor to the State Highway Administration, had all the reason in the world to keep the footprints as small as possible, and they did, and the results are visible every day. 

Though I think there are more crashes on the Outer Loop between MD-185 (Exit 33, Connecticut Avenue) and the exits to MD-355 (Rockville Pike) and I-270 (Exits 34 and 35, respectively).

1995hoo

The cloverleaf I'd like to see modified is the one on I-395 at Duke Street in Alexandria. The weave area on southbound I-395 perpetually slows traffic. If they ever redevelop Landmark Mall with heavy residential space (as has been proposed for years), perhaps they could insist on a proffer to eliminate the loop ramp from WB Duke to SB I-395, replacing it with a companion to the existing flyover for the opposite movement. I don't know what traffic counts are now, but surely it's reasonable to conclude the proposed redevelopment would lead to increased traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on February 02, 2017, 12:20:11 AM
VA 207 in that area has been modified quite a few times over the years going northeast from the interstate, with the latest configuration not having an intersection with cross traffic (and accompanying traffic signal) until the current SR 652, which is over a half mile past the former intersection at SR 782. This has eliminated the congestion in the area from trucks queuing at the old intersection and light. As for the interchange with I-95 itself, the main issue left is that loop ramp from VA 207 SB to I-95 SB, which is very tight with a sharp turn at the bottom and has caused some serious rollover crashes (I saw 2 trucks and a van roll over myself when I worked in that area). The only solution I see to this is to eliminate the ramp and go with either a standard diamond (which will only recreate another queuing issue), a DDI (not much better in this case) or a flyover ($$$$$).

I am not sure what the right solution is, but I am sure that the interchange does not work well as currently configured.   

In my fantasy world, I would widen I-95 through here a lot, add collector-distributor lanes to reduce the "mixing" of traffic wanting to exit and enter here with through trips, and do something with the ramps.  The C-D lanes would presumably cut-down on truck crashes on I-95 itself.

Yes, flyovers are very expensive, but consider also the amount of revenue that the Commonwealth of Virginia and Caroline County collect from the businesses here. Probably pretty substantial.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2017, 12:09:07 PM
The cloverleaf I'd like to see modified is the one on I-395 at Duke Street in Alexandria. The weave area on southbound I-395 perpetually slows traffic. If they ever redevelop Landmark Mall with heavy residential space (as has been proposed for years), perhaps they could insist on a proffer to eliminate the loop ramp from WB Duke to SB I-395, replacing it with a companion to the existing flyover for the opposite movement. I don't know what traffic counts are now, but surely it's reasonable to conclude the proposed redevelopment would lead to increased traffic.

Might go away as part of a planned expansion of 395 Soutbound.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/i-395_south_-_duke_to_edsall.asp

http://www.virginiadot.org/2014-08-13_Preferred_Alternative.pdf

HTM Duke

Some things I noticed from my road trips from 2016:

1) VA-348: The cutout within Hungry Mother State Park is gone.
2) VA-325: Not posted at its entrance anymore.
3) VA-326: The Hanover correctional center may be gone, but the Pamunkey Farm (VADOC agribusiness) remains.
4) VA-209: Construction of its full interchange with VA-28 is complete, but remains closed due to unfinished realignment work that is part of the Dulles World Center development.  New signage on VA-28 still does not display the route number with Innovation Ave.
5) VA-190: Erroneous posting on VA-225 telling traffic to turn onto Witchduck Rd (instead of Pembroke Blvd), and also shows 190 running east of the intersection.
6) VA-357: Signage for the Southside VA Training Center on US-1 has been removed and replaced with a sign advertising land for sale.  The only government agency visibly active was the regional probation office.  Route signage itself remains.

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on February 02, 2017, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2017, 12:09:07 PM

Might go away as part of a planned expansion of 395 Soutbound.

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/i-395_south_-_duke_to_edsall.asp

http://www.virginiadot.org/2014-08-13_Preferred_Alternative.pdf

The overview for the project calls for the off-ramp from 395 south to 236 east to be removed instead, and a new signalized intersection created to replace the missing movement.  A proffer from Howard Huges Corp. (management company behind the Landmark redevlopment) could be possible, but I wonder if VDOT would consider having Transurban pay as well/instead as a concession for the 395 HOT lanes project.  One can hope, especially since the dashboard page for the project lists no funding beyond preliminary engineering, along with a scheduled construction start date of 2021.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: HTM Duke on February 02, 2017, 06:11:04 PM
The overview for the project calls for the off-ramp from 395 south to 236 east to be removed instead, and a new signalized intersection created to replace the missing movement.  A proffer from Howard Huges Corp. (management company behind the Landmark redevlopment) could be possible, but I wonder if VDOT would consider having Transurban pay as well/instead as a concession for the 395 HOT lanes project.  One can hope, especially since the dashboard page for the project lists no funding beyond preliminary engineering, along with a scheduled construction start date of 2021.

IMO this is good news.  Might make southbound 395 a little less crash prone here, with the lane drop and the weaving associated with that ramp.

74/171FAN

Well I did not know that pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds, etc. were allowed on VA 37 as they will not be as of Monday.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 10, 2017, 06:54:12 AM
Well I did not know that pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds, etc. were allowed on VA 37 as they will not be as of Monday.

Strange, I wasn't aware of that either. Then again, the onramps to VA 37 seem to lack the standard "prohibited" signage that other freeway entrances in Virginia typically have. VDOT is usually pretty good about this, as even VA 150 in Richmond has them on the southbound onramps from VA 147...which is a little awkward as VA 150 is not a freeway and has at-grade intersections and even bus stops past this point (until Forest Hill Ave). In fact, that segment of VA 150 isn't even maintained by VDOT.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

VDOT: CTB AWARDS SEVEN CONTRACTS WORTH $ 60.7 MILLION  (The most notable project here is the safety improvements at the I-95/VA 3 interchange in Fredericksburg.)

Also an advisory panel has been announced to look at the intersection of US 29 at Hydraulic Rd in Charlottesville.

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 10, 2017, 09:57:39 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 10, 2017, 06:54:12 AM

Strange, I wasn't aware of that either. Then again, the onramps to VA 37 seem to lack the standard "prohibited" signage that other freeway entrances in Virginia typically have. VDOT is usually pretty good about this, as even VA 150 in Richmond has them on the southbound onramps from VA 147...which is a little awkward as VA 150 is not a freeway and has at-grade intersections and even bus stops past this point (until Forest Hill Ave). In fact, that segment of VA 150 isn't even maintained by VDOT.

Now that you mention it.. looking at Street View I don't see any of those "prohibited" signs on any of the onramps to VA 262 either. Maybe because it's a Super-2 or something? Idk

VTGoose

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 17, 2017, 07:04:03 AM
Also an advisory panel has been announced to look at the intersection of US 29 at Hydraulic Rd in Charlottesville.

That can't come to a good end. If there ever was a place that needed a wall built around it, Charlottesville is it  :-D  Gotta keep those wahoos contained and away from the general population.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Takumi

I got a new set of tires put on today and drove from Petersburg to Jarratt and back. US 301's bridge over the Nottoway River has been demolished, with I-95 as the obvious detour.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on February 21, 2017, 04:08:46 PM
I got a new set of tires put on today and drove from Petersburg to Jarratt and back. US 301's bridge over the Nottoway River has been demolished, with I-95 as the obvious detour.

Have sometimes wondered why VDH (or maybe it was VDHT by then, it was not VDOT yet) didn't just put U.S. 301 onto I-95, and leave (what is now) U.S. 301 as an F-route (admittedly it would probably be a record-setting long one) or a regular secondary system route from VA-631 Jarrat (I-95 Exit 20) to VA-35/VA-156 Courtland (I-95 Exit 41).

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 22, 2017, 12:04:23 AM
Quote from: Takumi on February 21, 2017, 04:08:46 PM

Have sometimes wondered why VDH (or maybe it was VDHT by then, it was not VDOT yet) didn't just put U.S. 301 onto I-95, and leave (what is now) U.S. 301 as an F-route (admittedly it would probably be a record-setting long one) or a regular secondary system route from VA-631 Jarrat (I-95 Exit 20) to VA-35/VA-156 Courtland (I-95 Exit 41).

My guess would be because many people figure that the US route designation is the clear alternate route in case the interstate is clogged or shut down for whatever reason, though I don't recall that stretch having to be shut down, at least so far anyway

Takumi

VDOT doesn't do that often. The only significant section of a US route in Virginia being moved onto an interstate and its old route being downgraded to (mostly) secondary is US 60 between Lexington and West Virginia, which of course is more difficult terrain. The old routings usually tend to become either a bannered US route or a state primary route.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

AsphaltPlanet

I did a video of the 495 Beltway back last summer after the Corridor H meet.  I figured I'd post it here:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on February 22, 2017, 01:09:36 PM
VDOT doesn't do that often. The only significant section of a US route in Virginia being moved onto an interstate and its old route being downgraded to (mostly) secondary is US 60 between Lexington and West Virginia, which of course is more difficult terrain. The old routings usually tend to become either a bannered US route or a state primary route.

Yes, I agree with you. 

Good point about U.S. 60 and I-64 west of Lexington.

North of the Potomac, Maryland has at times moved the U.S. route onto the Interstate, especially U.S. 40 west of Baltimore, where long sections (but not all of it) were moved onto I-68 (there were pre-I-68 freeway sections) and I-70 (it made particular sense between Frederick and Marriottsville, since the old U.S. 40 became I-70).

Unsigned I-595 remains U.S. 50, which makes sense since even pre-I-595, the old freeway was U.S. 50.

cpzilliacus

Drove U.S. 250 for the first time ever from I-81 (through Staunton) to the crest of Allegheny Mountain at the Highland County, Va./Pocahontas County, W.Va. border (elevation better than 4,000 feet AMSL).  Probably the most twisting primary highway I have ever driven in Virginia (U.S. 33, U.S. 211 (crossing Shenandoah National Park), Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway do not come close). 

The weather was not as good as promised, but there were still plenty of spectacular views in western Augusta County and at several points in Highland County. 

There were several new-looking cutouts in Staunton (not sure if they were new or not, and I did not photograph them on this trip).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.