News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I believe I read somewhere that AAA also paid for the billboards along US-301 in Florida warning of speedtrap towns ahead. (With that said, I recall AAA opposed the repeal of the NMSL in 1995.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2019, 11:41:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 25, 2019, 01:46:25 AM
This was an interesting excerpt from Hopewell's Wikipedia page.
QuoteHopewell has come to the attention of AAA because some of its members have complained that Hopewell is a speed trap for its practice of citing drivers for speeding along a 1.7 mile stretch of Interstate 295, nicknamed the "Million Dollar Mile" by disgruntled drivers. AAA, claimed in a press release that Hopewell employs 11 sheriff's deputies working in 14-hour shifts to patrol less than two miles of the highway that lie within the city limits of Hopewell. However, this statistic has been denied by the sheriff of Hopewell, who was baffled as to where that information was generated as he said the deputies working on I-295 only work eight-hour shifts. This practice, which it has been claimed, annually generated $1.8 million in revenue from speeding tickets, of which 75% were issued to out of state drivers, triggered a court clash between the Commonwealth's Attorney and the city prosecutor, and elicited an official ruling from the Attorney General of Virginia. Sheriff Luther Sodat said that the almost two-mile stretch of highway "is a safety issue for Hopewell." Virginia's urban interstates have a fatality rate about one-third the Statewide rate for all roads combined.
AAA? Despite their mapping service being so kind as to mark areas of strict enforcement on Triptiks years ago, they've never been exactly known as an advocate for motorists and against speed enforcement. (I'll leave it to SP Cook to compare AAA vs. NMA here.) So if AAA is complaining about a speedtrap, must be something to it.

Another explanation, perhaps the NMA edited that Wikipedia page to create that excerpt.  :hmmm:

A few years ago someone here posted a link to a "speed trap" site thread about Hopewell, and I recognized the screen names of 3 posters there who also post on this site... about "speed traps".   :-(
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

^^^
The AAA reference was from the cited article (note that Wikipedia has a "references" section at the bottom of every page):

https://web.archive.org/web/20150704015007/http://www.hopewellnews.com/article_7357.shtml#.VYsC4vlVhBc#.VYsC4vlVhBc

Quote from: Hopewell News, 3 Mar 2015
In a recent press release, dated February 27, from AAA Mid-Atlantic, it is stated that "conferees"  working on the General Assembly's budget received over 17,000 emails from AAA members and activists "urging them to support an amendment that would reduce the financial incentive for these types of programs. AAA believes policing should be used for programs focused on public safety, and has long opposed the use of police for revenue-raising operations."  

VTGoose

Quote from: roadman65 on May 25, 2019, 11:13:31 AM
It sounds like the US 58 corridor is similar to the US 301 corridor further south.  Lawtley, Starke (which soon will have a freeway bypass of it), and once the City of Waldo.

Per the locals, the small towns don't have police departments anymore. We have been traveling that way to get to the Tampa area for the past four years and haven't seen much in the way of a police presence other than an occasional Florida state trooper. It is still advisable to slow down for the small towns though, mainly due to side streets and traffic lights. As to the Starke bypass, it has been (and still is) a great make-work project for the area. About the only major change has been to the completion dates on the project signs. Perhaps the backhoe, dump truck, and two guys with a wheelbarrow will finally get things done so it will open this fall.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Beltway

Quote from: VTGoose on May 27, 2019, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 25, 2019, 11:13:31 AM
It sounds like the US 58 corridor is similar to the US 301 corridor further south.  Lawtley, Starke (which soon will have a freeway bypass of it), and once the City of Waldo.
Per the locals, the small towns don't have police departments anymore. We have been traveling that way to get to the Tampa area for the past four years and haven't seen much in the way of a police presence other than an occasional Florida state trooper. It is still advisable to slow down for the small towns though, mainly due to side streets and traffic lights. As to the Starke bypass, it has been (and still is) a great make-work project for the area. About the only major change has been to the completion dates on the project signs. Perhaps the backhoe, dump truck, and two guys with a wheelbarrow will finally get things done so it will open this fall.

They have an armored vehicle with a gun turret shield on top and a SWAT team to man it --

http://www.cityofstarke.org/police-department.php

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

I-64 widening phase 2 is complete, that is between one mile west of the eastern VA-199 interchange and one mile west of the VA-105 interchange, portions in Newport News and James City County.  Along with phase 1 this makes 12 miles of recently completed 6-lane widening. 

Very nice result with fully rehabbed pre-existing pavement and bridges.

Phase 3 is under construction with clearing and grubbing underway and heavy grading in some places.  This will extend the widening to one mile west of the western VA-199 interchange, 21 miles and about $700 million for all three projects.  Big improvement.

Here are a few photos I took today --

(Robert Coté, 2002)

plain

Quote from: Beltway on June 04, 2019, 06:47:06 PM
I-64 widening phase 2 is complete, that is between one mile west of the eastern VA-199 interchange and one mile west of the VA-105 interchange, portions in Newport News and James City County.  Along with phase 1 this makes 12 miles of recently completed 6-lane widening. 

Very nice result with fully rehabbed pre-existing pavement and bridges.

Phase 3 is under construction with clearing and grubbing underway and heavy grading in some places.  This will extend the widening to one mile west of the western VA-199 interchange, 21 miles and about $700 million for all three projects.  Big improvement.

Here are a few photos I took today --

Yes this has been open for close to a month now (though they had a temporary lane closure 2 weeks ago EB, probably was something last minute). This 2nd phase has also helped the parallel 2-lane US 60 a lot too... though it still has its own issues, at least there's no more long distance traffic exiting at Busch Gardens. Huge improvement indeed.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on June 04, 2019, 10:41:34 PM
Yes this has been open for close to a month now (though they had a temporary lane closure 2 weeks ago EB, probably was something last minute). This 2nd phase has also helped the parallel 2-lane US 60 a lot too... though it still has its own issues, at least there's no more long distance traffic exiting at Busch Gardens. Huge improvement indeed.
Actually, it's been open for about two months now. The third land in each direction opened on April 10th, though landscaping and additional final touches weren't completed until the end of May. The speed limit was raised back to 65 mph also once the third lane opened in early April. As of now though, the entire project is fully completed.

Definitely a well done project, and Phase 3 is well underway and should be completed by 2021. Hopefully they can get Phase 4 funded soon, which would extend the 6-laning another 8 miles west beyond Phase 3. The current cost estimate is approximately $300 million per HRTPO.

Phase 4 would be the last of HRTAC & HRTPO's work on I-64. Everything west of there is out of the Hampton Roads district. Hopefully Richmond's district also can acquire more funding to extend 6-lanes past the current project near I-295 as well. Overall, my hopes are that I-64 is completely 6-lanes between I-295 and Hampton Roads by 2030, and if funding keeps rolling in, this may indeed happen. It's long overdue, but better late than never.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 04, 2019, 11:15:45 PM
Definitely a well done project, and [I-64] Phase 3 is well underway and should be completed by 2021. Hopefully they can get Phase 4 funded soon, which would extend the 6-laning another 8 miles west beyond Phase 3. The current cost estimate is approximately $300 million per HRTPO.

Phase 3 goes further than I had thought.  I was thinking it would end near Waller Mill Park at VA-645 where the 1968-completed section met the final 1979-completed section; before the older section was overlaid with asphalt the difference was apparent because it had concrete pavement and that last built section was always asphalt.  But as I said it ends a mile west of VA-199 at MP 233, the construction is well underway.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 04, 2019, 11:15:45 PM
Overall, my hopes are that I-64 is completely 6-lanes between I-295 and Hampton Roads by 2030, and if funding keeps rolling in, this may indeed happen.

With a good dose of funding it could be complete by 2025.

The segment between VA-249 Bottoms Bridge and VA-199 east of Williamsburg should be fully built out at 6 lanes, not needing 8 lanes anytime in the foreseeable future, based on traffic volumes.

Between I-295 and VA-249 Bottoms Bridge, and between VA-199 east of Williamsburg and VA-143 Jefferson Avenue, are "congestion relief" projects that were ultimately planned for 8 lanes.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 04, 2019, 11:41:40 PM
Phase 3 goes further than I had thought.  I was thinking it would end near Waller Mill Park at VA-645 where the 1968-completed section met the final 1979-completed section; before the older section was overlaid with asphalt the difference was apparent because it had concrete pavement and that last built section was always asphalt.  But as I said it ends a mile west of VA-199 at MP 233, the construction is well underway.
That's correct. A "Segment 4" project was one of the projects that is to be evaluated for the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan that would extend the current 6-lane widening from 1 mile west of VA-199 to the James City / New Kent County line, approximately 3 miles west of Exit 227 (VA-30) around MP 225-224. About 8-9 miles of widening. $300 million.

If that was completed, that would leave only a 19-mile gap between the current 6-lane widening between Exit 200 and 205, and this proposed "Segment 4" widening.

Richmond district submitted a project to SmartScale for FY-2020 to extend the current 6-lane widening (between Exit 200 and Exit 205) about 6 miles east to Exit 211 (VA-609) for approximately $100,107,000. The project would involve adding an additional lane in each direction to the inside. The project would not be started until 2028 and completed in 2031. And either way, it was not selected for funding, so that's out.

If that was completed, that would reduce that 19-mile gap down to 12-miles. But it's going to be a fight trying to fund this once outside of the Hampton Roads district. But that tax hike that's starting in 2020 that is to bring $28 million annually to the I-64 corridor could accelerate the entire 19-mile gap widening using bonds, and repaying those bonds with that $28 million annually (no tolling). I think that's the proposed solution for the I-81 corridor, to repay bonds for the $2 billion project with $151 million annually from the tax increase, as opposed to the tolling option that faced heavy opposition.

With a good dose of funding it could be complete by 2025.
Considering each project takes around 4-5 years to complete starting from preliminary engineering all the way to project completion, that entire 28-mile gap would need to be fully funded by next year in order to get be completed fully by 2025. Possible, but I just don't see it happening that quickly, given the cost (approx. $1 billion) unless they were to use bonds to fund the project as I proposed above, and repay it over many years.

Between I-295 and VA-249 Bottoms Bridge, and between VA-199 east of Williamsburg and VA-143 Jefferson Avenue, are "congestion relief" projects that were ultimately planned for 8 lanes.
Correct, and that is under HRTPO's radar. Projects being evaluated for the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan included a "I-64 Peninsula Widening to 8 lanes - Segment 1" for between Jefferson Ave to Exit 247 Yorktown Rd. That's just 5 miles short of the VA-199 goal you mentioned. The cost estimate on that 8-mile stretch of 6 to 8 lane widening is approximately $500 million.

I think the Segment 4 widening to 6-lanes out to the James City County / New Kent County Line for $300 million should be a higher priority before we dig into the 8-lane widening for $500 million. The recently completed 6-laning between Jefferson Ave and VA-199 has high traffic volumes, though can easily handle the volumes across 6-lanes for at least 10 more years. I've seen no issues going up that way, and it's certainly way less congested compared to when it was only 4-lanes.

sprjus4

If anyone is interested, here's an interactive map I've created documenting all of the expansion projects happening on I-64, along with future projects. All of the project segments on the map include completion dates, cost estimates, and funding sources.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gsg8GvAOELfLuDyI8YPMMI11emhYT_98&usp=sharing

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 06:42:23 AM
Correct, and that is under HRTPO's radar. Projects being evaluated for the 2045 Long Range Transportation Plan included a "I-64 Peninsula Widening to 8 lanes - Segment 1" for between Jefferson Ave to Exit 247 Yorktown Rd. That's just 5 miles short of the VA-199 goal you mentioned. The cost estimate on that 8-mile stretch of 6 to 8 lane widening is approximately $500 million.

Inflation factored out to what year?  That seems rather high, and I wonder what interchange improvements are included, such as rebuilding the ramp at Yorktown Road to exit from the right. 

They are constrained on the east side by parkland and military land, which is all but impossible to get right-of-way from.

I think the Segment 4 widening to 6-lanes out to the James City County / New Kent County Line for $300 million should be a higher priority before we dig into the 8-lane widening for $500 million. The recently completed 6-laning between Jefferson Ave and VA-199 has high traffic volumes, though can easily handle the volumes across 6-lanes for at least 10 more years. I've seen no issues going up that way, and it's certainly way less congested compared to when it was only 4-lanes.

95,000 AADT in 2018 between VA-143 and VA-105, which is in 8-lane warrants.

That would be HOV (or HOT) widening between VA-143 and VA-199.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 05, 2019, 07:33:16 AM

Inflation factored out to what year?  That seems rather high, and I wonder what interchange improvements are included, such as rebuilding the ramp at Yorktown Road to exit from the right. 

They are constrained on the east side by parkland and military land, which is all but impossible to get right-of-way from.
The left exit is the Williamsburg VA-143 exit farther north. The $500 million project only covers up to Yorktown Rd, and all those exits are to the right.

I don't know what year it's inflated too, though it's most likely not in 2019 dollars.

It warrants 8-lanes on paper, and I agree, but from personal experience living here and driving up I-64 frequently, the 4-lane segment between Williamsburg and Richmond is far more of a priority than 8-lanes down here. At least the newly completed 6-laning does not have recurring congestion unlike the 4-lane rural segments west of there.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 07:45:15 AM
It warrants 8-lanes on paper, and I agree, but from personal experience living here and driving up I-64 frequently, the 4-lane segment between Williamsburg and Richmond is far more of a priority than 8-lanes down here.

I didn't suggest that it didn't.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 07:45:15 AM
At least the newly completed 6-laning does not have recurring congestion unlike the 4-lane rural segments west of there.

It wouldn't only a few months after completion from when it was restricted to 4 lanes.  Given latent demand it won't take long.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 05, 2019, 08:04:24 AM
It wouldn't only a few months after completion from when it was restricted to 4 lanes.  Given latent demand it won't take long.
Segment 1 between Jefferson Ave (VA-143) and 1 mile east of Yorktown Rd has been completed for almost 2 years now, and I've never seen congestion occur there since 6-lanes was completed back in late 2017. I've been up it on peak weekends, rush hour, etc. and nothing. It's packed, but it operates smoothly and traffic usually maintains 65 - 75 mph.

Now, I'm not suggesting it should never be widened to 8-lanes. I'm just saying it shouldn't be a priority until I-64 is fully 6-lanes between Richmond and Hampton Roads, hopefully by 2030. At that point, they can extend the HOV lane up that way to VA-199. North of there, it should operate smoothly as a 6-lane freeway for decades to come.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 04:24:44 PM
Quote from: Beltway on June 05, 2019, 08:04:24 AM
Segment 1 between Jefferson Ave (VA-143) and 1 mile east of Yorktown Rd has been completed for almost 2 years now, and I've never seen congestion occur there since 6-lanes was completed back in late 2017. I've been up it on peak weekends, rush hour, etc. and nothing. It's packed, but it operates smoothly and traffic usually maintains 65 - 75 mph.

A much shorter section than we have now with 13 miles completed including beyond the VA-199 bypass south interchange.  Need to look at it a year or two from today.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 04:24:44 PM
Now, I'm not suggesting it should never be widened to 8-lanes. I'm just saying it shouldn't be a priority until I-64 is fully 6-lanes between Richmond and Hampton Roads, hopefully by 2030. At that point, they can extend the HOV lane up that way to VA-199. North of there, it should operate smoothly as a 6-lane freeway for decades to come.

And again I am not trying to argue that the 8-laning project has a higher priority than that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 04, 2019, 06:47:06 PM

In this image, it appears you're heading eastbound. What do the reduce speed ahead signs indicate just beyond the Exit 242 signage? Isn't that just leaving a work zone, and the speed limit is actually increasing from 55 mph to 65 mph?

Or does it say "reduce speed 65 mph" in preparation for when that segment is 70 mph once again? Because before Segment 3 started, the speed limit did increase to 70 mph just beyond VA-199.

I've traveled that segment a few times since it was completed, and have never noticed that. The image is a bit blurry to see it though.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 04:32:56 PM
In this image, it appears you're heading eastbound. What do the reduce speed ahead signs indicate just beyond the Exit 242 signage? Isn't that just leaving a work zone, and the speed limit is actually increasing from 55 mph to 65 mph?
Or does it say "reduce speed 65 mph" in preparation for when that segment is 70 mph once again? Because before Segment 3 started, the speed limit did increase to 70 mph just beyond VA-199.
I've traveled that segment a few times since it was completed, and have never noticed that. The image is a bit blurry to see it though.

Pretty sure they used that yellow diamond sign to diagrammatically indicate "65 ahead".  It is partially blocked by that panel truck.

In this case an increase in speed limit, after leaving the Phase 3 construction zone which is 55 mph, to the completed Phase 2 which is 65 mph. 

That yellow diamond sign will be temporary as it will not be needed after Phase 3 is completed, at least assuming the same permanent speed limit on both.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 05, 2019, 09:14:46 PM
That yellow diamond sign will be temporary as it will not be needed after Phase 3 is completed, at least assuming the same permanent speed limit on both.
Prior to any of the widenings, the speed limit was 70 mph west of Exit 242, and 65 mph east of Exit 242. The 65 mph has been maintained with the completion of Phase 2, and I would assume once Phase 3 is completed, it will be defaulted back to 70 mph as it was originally posted.

So that signage would still be needed, as that's the location the speed previously dropped from 70 mph to 65 mph, and I assume would continue to once the widenings are completed.

Heading westbound, just beyond VA-199, before the widening began. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2648592,-76.6511273,3a,37.5y,341.92h,80.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTRZcKyruY1acd8iXtLwbRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

sprjus4

Pretty sure they used that yellow diamond sign to diagrammatically indicate "65 ahead".  It is partially blocked by that panel truck.
I don't think I've ever seen one of those yellow diamond speed signs indicating an -increase- in speed. Usually it's a warning a lower speed is ahead. Likely will be permanent once the speed is raised back to 70 mph west of VA-199, as that's where it will decrease to 65 mph.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 09:20:06 PM
Prior to any of the widenings, the speed limit was 70 mph west of Exit 242, and 65 mph east of Exit 242. The 65 mph has been maintained with the completion of Phase 2, and I would assume once Phase 3 is completed, it will be defaulted back to 70 mph as it was originally posted.
So that signage would still be needed, as that's the location the speed previously dropped from 70 mph to 65 mph, and I assume would continue to once the widenings are completed.

In that case the sign is in the right place to be the permanent sign, indicating a drop from 70 to 65.

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2019, 09:23:53 PM
I don't think I've ever seen one of those yellow diamond speed signs indicating an -increase- in speed. Usually it's a warning a lower speed is ahead. Likely will be permanent once the speed is raised back to 70 mph west of VA-199, as that's where it will decrease to 65 mph.

I haven't either but it will serve a good purpose during construction as well as after construction.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 05, 2019, 09:27:27 PM
In that case the sign is in the right place to be the permanent sign, indicating a drop from 70 to 65.
That's correct.

plain

Just noticed this on another forum (they were actually taking a picture of the apartment building under construction). Looks like that VA 147 cutout on Cary St is still hanging on for dear life, for now..

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on June 05, 2019, 09:59:37 PM
Just noticed this on another forum (they were actually taking a picture of the apartment building under construction). Looks like that VA 147 cutout on Cary St is still hanging on for dear life, for now..

SM-S820L

That's the very last eastbound VA 147 cutout in existence, so hopefully it hangs on. The city's been actively removing and (for the most part) replacing cutouts during the past couple of years so I've been worried about that one.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I think the only other cutouts left in the city at all are the set on VA 147 westbound at VA 161.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.