News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2020, 08:55:40 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 02, 2020, 08:47:28 PM
True and so has Northern Virginia. However, I think the main reason behind that is because the state fell so far behind in funding numerous important/massive transportation projects in these regions.
The HRBT and I-64 High Rise Bridge projects are largely tax-dollar funded, with only limited amounts of funding coming from toll revenue. The reason they are building HO/T lanes instead of general purpose lanes is because they belief that's the solution to get better traffic throughput for all lanes.

I have a hard time believing that they truly believe that. Adding HOT lanes on the crowded 4-lane sections of I-64 within a growing metro area of 1.7 million seems to me like they had to make the most in a short amount of time with what limited funding they had.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 02, 2020, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on March 02, 2020, 09:07:29 AM

Sure beats discussing whether or not 81 mph is reckless (it really isn't as long as the speed limit is 70 and the road is engineered for it).  It is fast, yes, but not reckless--unless a driver is constantly changing lanes doing 81+, that I would consider reckless.

I would submit that sort of behavior (weaving in and out, tailgating, etc.) can be reckless regardless of the driver's raw speed. That is, if there's heavy traffic and most of the traffic is moving at 55—60 due to the congestion, someone weaving in and out trying to go 65—70 might well be acting recklessly as well, and current Virginia law does allow for a reckless ticket if the cop deems it appropriate. That is, a lot of people out there (probably not the people on this forum, of course), tend to forget that the "20 over or in excess of 80" law is not the only basis for a reckless driving ticket in Virginia.

If said heavy traffic is moving below the speed limit, and the person changing lanes is doing so in an attempt to drive at the legal maximum posted speed, then I would suggest that the slow-moving drivers are the ones who are driving recklessly, not the person who's trying to do the speed limit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2020, 01:44:40 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 02, 2020, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on March 02, 2020, 09:07:29 AM

Sure beats discussing whether or not 81 mph is reckless (it really isn't as long as the speed limit is 70 and the road is engineered for it).  It is fast, yes, but not reckless--unless a driver is constantly changing lanes doing 81+, that I would consider reckless.

I would submit that sort of behavior (weaving in and out, tailgating, etc.) can be reckless regardless of the driver's raw speed. That is, if there's heavy traffic and most of the traffic is moving at 55—60 due to the congestion, someone weaving in and out trying to go 65—70 might well be acting recklessly as well, and current Virginia law does allow for a reckless ticket if the cop deems it appropriate. That is, a lot of people out there (probably not the people on this forum, of course), tend to forget that the "20 over or in excess of 80" law is not the only basis for a reckless driving ticket in Virginia.

If said heavy traffic is moving below the speed limit, and the person changing lanes is doing so in an attempt to drive at the legal maximum posted speed, then I would suggest that the slow-moving drivers are the ones who are driving recklessly, not the person who's trying to do the speed limit.

I deliberately did not address the speed limit! But in general, you don't automatically have a right to drive at the posted speed limit, and as we all know it's sometimes impossible to do so (inbound I-395 during the morning rush hour is an example that readily comes to mind of a location where you won't likely be able to go that fast).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2020, 01:55:02 PM
I deliberately did not address the speed limit! But in general, you don't automatically have a right to drive at the posted speed limit, and as we all know it's sometimes impossible to do so (inbound I-395 during the morning rush hour is an example that readily comes to mind of a location where you won't likely be able to go that fast).
Those of us that commonly drive on highways like the Capital Beltway, can attest to that fact.

Peak period traffic with all 3 or 4 directional lanes, at least sometimes, moving well below the speed limit.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Happens every time I travel I-64 east of Richmond it seems where the speed limit is 70 mph. Anywhere else in the state, in free-flow conditions, it's the speed limit or higher.

Sometimes it's simply due to heavy traffic, other times it's ignorant drivers traveling 60 - 65 mph in both lanes holding everybody up, and other times it's those ignorant drivers spread throughout the highway in both lanes making it necessary to weave between lanes to maintain 70 - 78 mph.

Only at night am I able to drive that stretch and maintain 70 - 78 mph without interruption it seems. Any time during the day, always full of slow drivers or congested.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 03, 2020, 09:20:02 PM
Happens every time I travel I-64 east of Richmond it seems where the speed limit is 70 mph. Anywhere else in the state, in free-flow conditions, it's the speed limit or higher.
What is this "every time?"  Didn't we just have a discussion about this where I cited the fact most of my such trips that does not occur.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on March 03, 2020, 09:25:34 PM
What is this "every time?"  Didn't we just have a discussion about this where I cited the fact most of my such trips that does not occur.
I don't travel the corridor on a daily or weekly basis, though usually at least 2-4 times per month round trip I will. The majority of my trips, this seems to occur, largely westbound. Eastbound, usually at night, usually isn't an issue.

I may just have bad luck, but this is my experience a lot of the time to the point where I've had to "weave" in and out of the lanes doing the speed limit or slightly over because people cannot maintain it and do not know how to stay right.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 03, 2020, 09:28:05 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 03, 2020, 09:25:34 PM
I don't travel the corridor on a daily or weekly basis, though usually at least 2-4 times per month round trip I will. The majority of my trips, this seems to occur, largely westbound. Eastbound, usually at night, usually isn't an issue.
I may just have bad luck, but this is my experience a lot of the time to the point where I've had to "weave" in and out of the lanes doing the speed limit or slightly over because people cannot maintain it and do not know how to stay right.
Maybe a peak period situation.  All bets are off when the highway is really busy.

My complaint is "middle lane slow drivers" on the 6-lane parts of I-95, as I experienced many times today on my trip to the Maryland Eastern Shore.  As in 5 to 15 mph below the speed limit in free-flowing conditions.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on March 03, 2020, 09:49:45 PM
Maybe a peak period situation.  All bets are off when the highway is really busy.
I suppose this is the middle of the day on any day then. I will say that every time I've encountered these slow waves, it's usually when the highway is full, though it always seems there's two people in front of a "pack" with large empty space in front of them. Once I manage to weave through rows of 60 - 65 mph drivers, it opens up for a mile or two maintaining 75 - 78 mph then right back down to 60 - 65 mph behind another "pack".

A highway can easily be full of traffic but still maintain the speed limit or greater. It's a mix of full highway and slower drivers blocking a free-flow at the speed limit or greater and no / limited room to pass due to heavy traffic and only 2 lanes in a single direction.

I've encountered these types of flows on the recently completed 6-lane portions, though it's much easier to get by them with a third lane each way (and it's not always the left lane, sometimes the right lane ends up being the open lane with the slower drivers using the middle and left lane) maintaining the speed limit or greater.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Beltway on March 03, 2020, 09:16:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2020, 01:55:02 PM
Those of us that commonly drive on highways like the Capital Beltway, can attest to that fact.

Peak period traffic with all 3 or 4 directional lanes, at least sometimes, moving well below the speed limit.

Anything above 35 MPH peak direction during rush hour is a good day. Of course, I have a reverse commute (smart on me!) so it rarely affects me.

VTGoose

There's a whole lot of transportation changes wrapped up in the closing votes of the General Assembly:

• The gas tax will increase by 10 cents a gallon
  • Vehicle registration fees drop by $10
  • State vehicle inspections won't go away as proposed
  • Bonds will be issued to speed up improvements to I-81

QuoteRICHMOND – State legislators have reached an agreement on a transportation funding package that will raise the gas tax by 10 cents a gallon over two years and authorize nearly $1 billion in bonds to go toward improving Interstate 81.

The transportation proposal is one of the top priorities for the Northam administration. Gov. Ralph Northam originally called for an increase of 12 cents a gallon over three years, scrapping the annual vehicle inspections and reducing the vehicle registration fee by $20.

Under the compromise that the legislature will vote on before it adjourns Saturday, the gas tax increase will be slightly less and inspections will stay the same. The $40 vehicle registration fee will be $10 less and the $5 fee people pay when they go to Department of Motor Vehicle offices in person to do a transaction instead of online or by phone will be eliminated.

Del. Terry Austin, R-Botetourt, said the package will include the sale of roughly $900 million in bonds to expedite I-81 upgrades. If the state paid for the projects as it collected the revenue from the 2.1% gas tax increase in localities along the I-81 corridor, it would take about a decade longer to get the more than 60 projects done.

There's accompanying legislation dealing with traffic safety that will require mandatory seat belt use for all passengers. Proposals making it illegal to possess an open container and installing a speed monitoring program in certain highway corridors are expected to be scrapped under the tentative compromise. That legislation also still needs voted on by both chambers.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/local/deal-reached-on-gas-tax-increase-to-fund-transportation-improvements/article_1de80a4c-84ce-5aab-b5fd-b777e56ca30d.html
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

AlexandriaVA

100 gallons/year (8.33 gallons/month) as the break-even point on this. If you use less than 100 gallons year/automobile, you come out ahead. If you use more than 100/gallons year, you come out behind.

A typical month sees me using about 30 gallons (2.5 fill ups at 12 gallons/fill), so I'm a $20 net loser for the year.

Beltway

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 06, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
100 gallons/year (8.33 gallons/month) as the break-even point on this. If you use less than 100 gallons year/automobile, you come out ahead. If you use more than 100/gallons year, you come out behind.
A typical month sees me using about 30 gallons (2.5 fill ups at 12 gallons/fill), so I'm a $20 net loser for the year.
I use about 120 gallons per month.

I wonder how much net new revenue this will realize statewide?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

RoadPelican

I was really hoping that VA would get rid of Vehicle Inspections because maybe that would put pressure on NC to get rid of ours. 

The $5 fee for people to visit the DMV over going online would also be a good idea for NC to take. (Overcrowded is an understatement in the Tar Heel State)

Also, I think that registration fees should be increased and the gas tax decreased, cars are only going to get more fuel efficient over time.

All in all, nothing to like in this legislation, but gas will STILL probably be cheaper in VA over NC, now just not as much.

Beltway

Quote from: RoadPelican on March 06, 2020, 12:56:58 PM
All in all, nothing to like in this legislation, but gas will STILL probably be cheaper in VA over NC, now just not as much.
If the road use tax increases are so great, then why the need to float $900 million in bonds to expedite I-81 upgrades?

Those bonds are a loan that will have to be paid off in installments over a 20 to 30 year period.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2020, 11:39:00 AM

:-o :-o :-o

Beltway

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 06, 2020, 08:10:16 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2020, 11:39:00 AM
:-o :-o :-o
About 33,000 miles and an average of 23 mpg.  Car gets 30 or 31 at steady Interstate highway speed, but city driving lowers the average.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Who uses less than 100 gallons/year of gas? Especially on this forum?

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2020, 09:35:57 PM

Hybrids?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AlexandriaVA

Public transit commuters who only drive limited amounts on nights and weekends. Plenty here in the DC area

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2020, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2020, 09:35:57 PM

Hybrids?

I have an Insight and use about 8 gallons a week for 350-400 miles of driving...so I'll still be using over 400 gallons a year.

Beltway

What about retired people who don't commute at all?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on March 06, 2020, 10:26:55 PM
They should make way for progress.

jeffandnicole

Senior dinners, visiting the grandkids, doctor's appointments, commuting to their retirement home...haha

But really...even retirees probably fill up the tank more than once a month, so most of them will use more than 100 gallons in a year

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 07, 2020, 07:19:45 AM
Senior dinners, visiting the grandkids, doctor's appointments, commuting to their retirement home...haha
But really...even retirees probably fill up the tank more than once a month, so most of them will use more than 100 gallons in a year
Depends on how much they travel.

Some of them put 40,000 miles or more a year on a car or RV.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.