News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahj2000

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 06, 2021, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on March 05, 2021, 08:31:48 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 05, 2021, 01:08:43 PM
Almost certainly not. It'd be no different than if a municipality named it something else over Jefferson Davis Highway.
Well then. I'll just assume it'll be publicly signed wherever a new individual name for Jefferson Davis has not been announced (such as in Chesterfield).

It's also possible Chesterfield County could do nothing, or just remove all the signs without replacing them. Currently all of US 1 is legislatively named Jefferson Davis Highway, but some counties don't post that name at all, mainly the ones in the southside that don't name any primary routes. Mecklenburg County signs it as "Highway One." US 58 is also legislatively named A.L. Philpott Highway in that county, but is signed as simply "Highway Fifty-Eight".

I personally expect Chesterfield County to do nothing and leave the local name as Jefferson Davis Highway. I'm pretty sure most of the county board of supervisors is opposed to renaming, and Chesterfield is likely to remain a holdout for some time.
Oh man I forgot that Philpott had a highway. I wonder when the state will turn on that.
Even less of a "historical"  thing and just really not exactly the most non-racist guy.

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 06, 2021, 12:51:38 PM
Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on March 05, 2021, 08:31:48 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 05, 2021, 01:08:43 PM
Almost certainly not. It'd be no different than if a municipality named it something else over Jefferson Davis Highway.
Well then. I'll just assume it'll be publicly signed wherever a new individual name for Jefferson Davis has not been announced (such as in Chesterfield).

It's also possible Chesterfield County could do nothing, or just remove all the signs without replacing them. Currently all of US 1 is legislatively named Jefferson Davis Highway, but some counties don't post that name at all, mainly the ones in the southside that don't name any primary routes. Mecklenburg County signs it as "Highway One." US 58 is also legislatively named A.L. Philpott Highway in that county, but is signed as simply "Highway Fifty-Eight".

I personally expect Chesterfield County to do nothing and leave the local name as Jefferson Davis Highway. I'm pretty sure most of the county board of supervisors is opposed to renaming, and Chesterfield is likely to remain a holdout for some time.
By the time US 1 reaches Mecklenburg County, the Jefferson Davis Highway legislative designation has left it anyway. That said, I've always wondered why Mecklenburg chose not to use the Boydton Plank Road designation on US 1 and/or 58, only having a "Plank Road"  designation on a lengthy old alignment of the routes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 20, 2021, 08:33:23 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 20, 2021, 04:49:19 PM
How did the Cumberland Gap area look like before the tunnel was built?

Historicaerials.com has 1950s and 1980s views that show two other US 25E configurations

The Virginia Hwys Page entry for US 25E gives some description of the configurations using Topo maps to illustrate - http://www.vahighways.com/route-log/us025.htm

So I knew that Virginia referred to US 25E mostly as US 25 in the historical CTB minutes and on county maps like below.  But I never knew how Virginia posted it early on.  Now I do:  https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/birch/id/1279

1932 Lee County

plain

Given that this is a rather recent install, there is at least one Virginia locality that hasn't given up on red signal housings for emergency signals. They even slapped the yellow reflective borders on the backplates. Combined with the typical green Richmond mast arm, it's really a wild look.

Williamsburg Rd in the Fulton neighborhood just east of the descent into Fulton Bottom

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

Quote from: plain on March 11, 2021, 09:28:49 PM
Given that this is a rather recent install, there is at least one Virginia locality that hasn't given up on red signal housings for emergency signals. They even slapped the yellow reflective borders on the backplates. Combined with the typical green Richmond mast arm, it's really a wild look.

Williamsburg Rd in the Fulton neighborhood just east of the descent into Fulton Bottom

Image from GSV

Very African!

plain

Quote from: Alps on March 11, 2021, 09:37:56 PM

Image from GSV

Very African!

Pretty much lmao

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 11, 2021, 04:49:39 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 20, 2021, 08:33:23 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 20, 2021, 04:49:19 PM
How did the Cumberland Gap area look like before the tunnel was built?

Historicaerials.com has 1950s and 1980s views that show two other US 25E configurations

The Virginia Hwys Page entry for US 25E gives some description of the configurations using Topo maps to illustrate - http://www.vahighways.com/route-log/us025.htm

So I knew that Virginia referred to US 25E mostly as US 25 in the historical CTB minutes and on county maps like below.  But I never knew how Virginia posted it early on.  Now I do:  https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/birch/id/1279

1932 Lee County

That's the only split pair I can think of where only one of the routes entered a state. So I guess Virginia could get by with signing it only as US 25 without the "E."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Nice catch!  I remember the days when there were plenty of red 12-8-8 signal heads at fire houses and rescue squads in many jurisdictions of the Commonwealth. 

Last one I saw might have been on VA-28 (Centreville Road) in Prince William County between the city limits of Manassas Park and Fairfax County (Company 508, Yorkshire).  But they moved to a new firehouse at a new location on a side street off of VA-28, and remnants of the old red signal heads and associated poles and span wires are entirely gone.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrsman

Image from GSV

IMO the singals look sunburned.

plain

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2021, 05:38:30 PM

Nice catch!  I remember the days when there were plenty of red 12-8-8 signal heads at fire houses and rescue squads in many jurisdictions of the Commonwealth. 

Last one I saw might have been on VA-28 (Centreville Road) in Prince William County between the city limits of Manassas Park and Fairfax County (Company 508, Yorkshire).  But they moved to a new firehouse at a new location on a side street off of VA-28, and remnants of the old red signal heads and associated poles and span wires are entirely gone.

I was surprised when I saw it (also, this is the first one I've ever seen this inside Richmond city limits). Even though this is a city install, I wish VDOT hadn't given up on the red emergency signals. The older ones around this area have either faded or been replaced, and that seems to be the case elsewhere in the state.

Takumi

Quote from: plain on March 15, 2021, 12:56:12 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2021, 05:38:30 PM

I was surprised when I saw it (also, this is the first one I've ever seen this inside Richmond city limits). Even though this is a city install, I wish VDOT hadn't given up on the red emergency signals. The older ones around this area have either faded or been replaced, and that seems to be the case elsewhere in the state.
The recently built fire station on Harrowgate Road in Chesterfield County has red signals.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I remember these red signals as a child.

Anyway, I gather that I-64 over the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake will be like NJ Route 37 in Toms River, NJ with one movable bridge paired with a fixed span when completed.

To me that always seemed odd in NJ going to the shore, however if it ain’t broken don’t fix it as the saying goes.  Too much of replacing things that don’t need it these days.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on March 18, 2021, 08:42:13 AM
I remember these red signals as a child.

Anyway, I gather that I-64 over the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake will be like NJ Route 37 in Toms River, NJ with one movable bridge paired with a fixed span when completed.

To me that always seemed odd in NJ going to the shore, however if it ain't broken don't fix it as the saying goes.  Too much of replacing things that don't need it these days.

Technically, that's how the 14th Street Bridge on I-395 is: The inbound bridge (Arland D. Williams Bridge) is an old drawspan and you can still see the operator's tower there. The other two spans are fixed, as is the Fenwick Bridge (the Metrorail bridge just downstream). The last time the drawspan opened was in 1969 when barges were used in dismantling the old "Highway Bridge" that used to stand where the "HOV Bridge" is now. I have no idea whether it could still be opened nowadays or whether at some point it will face deterioration problems similar to those recently fixed on Memorial Bridge's old drawspan.

sprjus4

Centerville Turnpike Bridge Replacement Feasibility Study
QuoteThis feasibility study will evaluate options for replacing the Centerville Turnpike Bridge with a fixed-span bridge over the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal that can also provide adequate vertical clearance for navigational activities and a wider bridge for the future roadway widening. Study limit was extended from Butts Station Rd. to north of Elbow Rd. City has recommended five alternatives (four fixed, one movable bridge) be advanced for evaluation. A Virtual Citizen Information Meeting is expected to be scheduled in Spring 2021.
QuoteVirtual Citizen Information Meeting
The City of Chesapeake will host a Virtual Citizen Information Meeting beginning March 25, 2021, to discuss this feasibility study and solicit feedback from residents. Visit https://bit.ly/centervillestudy beginning March 25 to view the meeting and provide comments. Comments submitted by April 9, 2021, will be added to the official record.
The city currently estimates the project will cost between $200 and $250 million.

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on March 18, 2021, 08:42:13 AM
Anyway, I gather that I-64 over the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake will be like NJ Route 37 in Toms River, NJ with one movable bridge paired with a fixed span when completed
That's correct. Here is a rendering from the project website.

plain

I thought the use of the current (draw)bridge was going to be temporary for the inner loop until a new bridge could be built. Isn't the ultimate goal fixed spans for both directions?

Quote from: Takumi on March 17, 2021, 12:39:05 AM
The recently built fire station on Harrowgate Road in Chesterfield County has red signals.

Nice! Maybe they're making an all around comeback. Time will tell. Also noteworthy is the flashing yellow orb instead of a steady green, like the signal on VA 10 close to Warwick Rd in the city.

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on March 18, 2021, 05:49:44 PM
I thought the use of the current (draw)bridge was going to be temporary for the inner loop until a new bridge could be built. Isn't the ultimate goal fixed spans for both directions?
Yes, VDOT plans to eventually widen the corridor further and construct a second fixed span bridge to replace the existing High Rise Bridge in a Phase 2 project, but that's at least a decade away.

tolbs17

About damn time. That gives me a headache when driving on that section.

Also, why isn't I-64 signed WEST or EAST on that segment?

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:53:59 PM

Because "westbound" I-64 goes east and "eastbound" I-64 goes west. Take a look at a map. It's sort of like a fishhook around Norfolk.

sprjus4

The directions aren't signed south of I-264 (with a few exceptions - including new signage Chesapeake recently put on the Dominion Blvd project) to avoid confusion with cardinal direction. Because Interstate 64 does almost a loop through the area, south of I-264, a motorist traveling in the west direction towards Suffolk is actually heading on I-64 East, and vice versa.

It's still referred though as "East" and "West" in official reports, with the direction corresponding to the official direction (I-64 East is going west to Suffolk, I-64 West is going east to Va Beach), not cardinal direction.

tolbs17

This sign in 2008 looks better compared to the one they have mounted on there right now.

Wouldn't I-74 be the same way?

tolbs17

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 18, 2021, 10:00:28 PM

Because "westbound" I-64 goes east and "eastbound" I-64 goes west. Take a look at a map. It's sort of like a fishhook around Norfolk.
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 18, 2021, 10:00:42 PM

The directions aren't signed south of I-264 (with a few exceptions - including new signage Chesapeake recently put on the Dominion Blvd project) to avoid confusion with cardinal direction. Because Interstate 64 does almost a loop through the area, south of I-264, a motorist traveling in the west direction towards Suffolk is actually heading on I-64 East, and vice versa.

It's still referred though as "East" and "West" in official reports, with the direction corresponding to the official direction (I-64 East is going west to Suffolk, I-64 West is going east to Va Beach), not cardinal direction.
I would fix those numbers and take I-64 to Va beach.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 19, 2021, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 18, 2021, 10:00:28 PM

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 18, 2021, 10:00:42 PM

I would fix those numbers and take I-64 to Va beach.

That's been a recurring proposal for years now, but it doesn't seem likely to happen.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

I see an ALT US 60 is designated along part of US 460 and VA 168. Is that official or an implied designation?

https://goo.gl/maps/4WetVnsJDcJ5E6gh6

Also I see they took down the EB overhead on Ocean View at Tidewater but left the one opposite at Ocean View at 4th View up.  The one removed is needed and the one still standing is not.  Great logic!  Why not transfer the mast arm and add the needed signs?

Also how old, does anyone know, is the Little Creek Road SPUI at Tidewater Drive in Wards Corner is?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.