News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

75 MPH on Arkansas Freeways

Started by US71, July 28, 2017, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Beginning July 31, controlled access highways in Arkansas could see 75 MPH speed limits (up from 70). Truck speed limits wil remain at 70 MPH. Of course, AHTD/ARDOT would likely determine is such an increase is viable.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Oh goody, more split speed limits not long after they were eliminated. I wouldn't be surprised if AHTD doesn't raise any speed limits even though they now can.

Now for working on raising the speed limits on 2 lane roads. 55 is too slow for many of them.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 31, 2017, 04:54:19 AM
Oh goody, more split speed limits not long after they were eliminated. I wouldn't be surprised if AHTD doesn't raise any speed limits even though they now can.

Now for working on raising the speed limits on 2 lane roads. 55 is too slow for many of them.

You prefer 70 like unimproved Texas highways?

Wayward Memphian

Perfect example is Ark 14 from Newport to Wilson, everyone does 65 on it anyway, might as well sign it for that.

KamKam

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: KamKam on August 01, 2017, 07:42:34 PM
75 MPH?!! HECK YES!!!!

Ever since it went to 70, I have passes hundreds of Troopers actively patrolling or sitting and running radar between NWA and East Arkansas and Memphis with my cruise set at 78, I don't even check up. Never been pulled over.

US71

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on August 01, 2017, 11:09:10 PM

Quote from: KamKam on August 01, 2017, 07:42:34 PM
75 MPH?!! HECK YES!!!!

Not so fast!

Louisiana's only 75 mph interstate is I-49...and that is only for testing & data-gathering purposes only. Their statement about the "state's that abut (sp?) is a tad misleading.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

capt.ron

Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2017, 10:00:01 AM
Quote from: bugo on July 31, 2017, 04:54:19 AM

You prefer 70 like unimproved Texas highways?
70 would only make sense on some of the 2 lane highways mainly in eastern AR... US 64 being a good example. Otherwise, I would say 55 or 60 on 2 lanes that are twisty, curvy or with narrow ROW.
On 4 lane divided highways, 70 would be a good number (only in sparse, rural areas).
5 lane "Arkansas expressways", again 70 in remote areas, otherwise 65.

bugo

US 59/270 from the Oklahoma line to US 71 would be fine at 70. It is curvy but the curves are gentle and only one is sharp enough that slowing down is required. 55 is way too slow for this road and it seems like you're crawling, especially after doing 65 in Oklahoma.

KamKam

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on August 02, 2017, 05:31:40 AM
Louisiana's only 75 mph interstate is I-49...and that is only for testing & data-gathering purposes only. Their statement about the "state's that abut (sp?) is a tad misleading.

What portions of I-49 are posted at 75 mph?  I'd guess that the portion in NWA from Fayetteville north would retain a lower limit, although "over the hill" from I-40 to Fayetteville would be a likely candidate for 75!  Also, from the LA state line to the 151 loop south of Texarkana might qualify as well (relatively flat and straight!).   

aboges26

Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2017, 01:33:10 AM

What portions of I-49 are posted at 75 mph?  I'd guess that the portion in NWA from Fayetteville north would retain a lower limit, although "over the hill" from I-40 to Fayetteville would be a likely candidate for 75!  Also, from the LA state line to the 151 loop south of Texarkana might qualify as well (relatively flat and straight!).   

I-49 is 75 MPH between just north of Lafayette and just south of Alexandria, and then from just north of Alexandria to just south of Shreveport, and then the majority of the new section north of Shreveport to the Arkansas state line is 75 MPH I believe.

sparker

Quote from: aboges26 on August 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2017, 01:33:10 AM

I-49 is 75 MPH between just north of Lafayette and just south of Alexandria, and then from just north of Alexandria to just south of Shreveport, and then the majority of the new section north of Shreveport to the Arkansas state line is 75 MPH I believe.

Uhh.....as per the OP, I was specifically asking about the Arkansas segments of I-49, not those in Louisiana.  But thanks for the information anyway!  I can see how the thread got a bit sidetracked via a previous reply (threads going all over the place isn't too uncommon around here anyway).

Road Hog

I have driven I-30 multiple times in the last month and I can report that 70 is still the rule of the kingdom. However, the troopers give pretty wide latitude.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Road Hog on September 03, 2017, 04:00:31 AM
I have driven I-30 multiple times in the last month and I can report that 70 is still the rule of the kingdom. However, the troopers give pretty wide latitude.

Set the cruise on 78 and you'll be fine. I go past them over and over at that and don't even tap the brakes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.