News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Redesigned State Highway Signs for Delaware

Started by Duke87, January 20, 2010, 03:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Delaware needs to change. For which, I must say, I love Alex's design:

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

papaT10932

Quote from: Duke87 on January 20, 2010, 03:01:31 PM
The problem with the state seal for New Jersey is that it looks too similar to a US route shield (RVD's highway makeover version)

Delaware needs to change. For which, I must say, I love Alex's design:

I agree. One of the two states should change. I like that Delaware design, but I prefer the consistency of black and white signs.

agentsteel53

Quote from: papaT10932 on January 20, 2010, 10:59:28 PM
I agree. One of the two states should change. I like that Delaware design, but I prefer the consistency of black and white signs.

I on the other hand really like colored highway markers.  Maybe it's because they're so uncommon, but I wholeheartedly support the various states' color differentiation schemes (Florida, Mississippi, South Dakota, etc) and also the states that have a standard state route in color (CA, SC, Vermont, etc). 

the other day I went and took photos of the last two known white overhead gantries with colored US shields in Florida: a 41 pair and a 231/98 set, and what a difference they make compared to standard black and white - easily identifiable from a distance, and provide a definite visual contrast against the white background, and they're aesthetically pleasing.  What objection did the feds have to that??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Seeing that Delaware design I did in 1999 inspired me to update it in AI. I originally crafted that graphic in Paint!

shoptb1

Quote from: AARoads on January 21, 2010, 12:37:42 PM
Seeing that Delaware design I did in 1999 inspired me to update it in AI. I originally crafted that graphic in Paint!

Those looks amazing as well.  I think both states should pursue replacement of the boring circle.  DOWN WITH THE CIRCLES!  :)

D-Dey65

I love that one.

Alex

I concur with Jeff; its the Diamond State, and Delaware could go with a blue / gold design using a simple gold diamond with a blue background.

Ian

I really do like that design. Just a circle is too... blah. I remember creating my own DE marker, which literally included the outline of a diamond, not the shape, but a real diamond. But the one above looks better.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

papaT10932

It drives me crazy how two bordering states use the same highway shield. In fact, I think the Delaware Memorial Bridge is the only place in the US where you can drive directly from one state to another and see the same highway shields being used on both ends.

mgk920

Quote from: papaT10932 on February 23, 2010, 11:35:21 PM
It drives me crazy how two bordering states use the same highway shield. In fact, I think the Delaware Memorial Bridge is the only place in the US where you can drive directly from one state to another and see the same highway shields being used on both ends.

Illinois' and Indiana's route number signs are very similar to each other, too, differing only in the state name across the top.

That said, I like that suggested sign design *except* that I would lose the state outline, it looks too much like a '1' from a distance.

I also fully agree on eliminating the 'circle' from state highway markers - in the rest of the world outside of Canada and the USA, a circle with a number in it is a speed limit sign (yes, I know that those speed limit circle signs do include a red outline).

Mike

Alps

Actually, you can do that in CT and MA.  Because some new MA shields are accidentally of the CT style (thick black border) and most new CT shields are of the MA style (thin black border with white edge).

papaT10932

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 24, 2010, 07:05:46 PM

Actually, you can do that in CT and MA.  Because some new MA shields are accidentally of the CT style (thick black border) and most new CT shields are of the MA style (thin black border with white edge).

OK, OK. I meant it to be the same with standard signs.... not because of Conn's and Mass's carelessness.

fixed quoting issues...

mightyace

Anyway, even the correct CT and MA state highway signs aren't different enough for a casual observer to notice!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Revive 755

Quote from: mgk920 on February 24, 2010, 11:07:58 AM
That said, I like that suggested sign design *except* that I would lose the state outline, it looks too much like a '1' from a distance.

I agree; maybe move the state outline next to the state name as is done on MN state shields?

papaT10932

Perhaps a diamond shape (sort of) with Delaware hero Caesar Rodney?

bugo

Here's an idea I came up with several years ago.  It was inspired by the Florida marker.  I designed it before the Oklahoma meat cleaver came along so it was not inspired by it in any way.

Alex

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 06, 2010, 09:48:40 PM

The touch of Caesar Rodney is nice, but the shield shape makes me think of Superman too much...  :hmm:

Hellfighter

Very Nice! Too bad you couldn't just start switching shields!  :spin:

shoptb1

The only downside I can see with this design is that the shape of Delaware might be construed at a distance as the numeral '1'.  For that reason, you might want to extend the size of the state graphic to the bottom of the shield as to differentiate it.  I love this design!

yakra

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 06, 2010, 09:48:40 PM

Reminds me of Nebraska! Not that that's a bad thing at all. :D And there's little chance for confusion in this part of the country.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

leifvanderwall

Delaware should ditch the circle design on their state route signs simply because New Jersey has the same thing.

bugo

Quote from: leifvanderwall on March 16, 2010, 05:48:45 PM
Delaware should ditch the circle design on their state route signs simply because New Jersey has the same thing.

I want one, and only one state to keep the circle.  It's not a bad symbol for a highway, although a bit boring.  It's good enough to be the marker for one state.  And while we're at it, get rid of the generic squares (IN, IL, TX, MA).  There is nothing attractive about them.  And they resemble other types of signs such as speed limit signs.  But I don't want the circle to completely go away.

shoptb1

Quote from: bugo on March 17, 2010, 04:54:49 AM
And while we're at it, get rid of the generic squares (IN, IL, TX, MA).  There is nothing attractive about them.  And they resemble other types of signs such as speed limit signs.  But I don't want the circle to completely go away.

Although I'd love to see unique state highway symbols for each state, at least the generic squares contain the state name (for IN, IL, and TX).  One of the main problems here is that two bordering states are using the same EXACT symbol.  Very confusing!

Mr. Matté

All right, I'm going to put up a large tomato guard and ask the questions.  Does Delaware really need to change its sign? In addition to replacement costs, you'll probably end up with more confusion than what happens now. Are there any documented instances of confusion between a Delaware highway and a New Jersey highway? I wouldn't think so since there's no highways with the same or similar numbers around the two places the states connect.

I'll admit that the circles are a little dull but a simple design leads to the greatest efficiency. The less you have to search the sign for the number, the better.

papaT10932

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 17, 2010, 09:50:51 AM
All right, I'm going to put up a large tomato guard and ask the questions.  Does Delaware really need to change its sign? In addition to replacement costs, you'll probably end up with more confusion than what happens now. Are there any documented instances of confusion between a Delaware highway and a New Jersey highway? I wouldn't think so since there's no highways with the same or similar numbers around the two places the states connect.

I'll admit that the circles are a little dull but a simple design leads to the greatest efficiency. The less you have to search the sign for the number, the better.

I think it has less to do with the sign and more to do with state pride. New Jersey and Delaware are both small states that get swallowed up in the larger states that surround them. NJ and Delaware already have major identity issues. NJ, for example, is known mostly for being part of the NYC or Philly metro areas. This is why, I think, NJ needs a highway sign that differs from the default circle.... just to offer something that stands out and showcases some sort of state identity. I would imagine the same goes for Delaware. But, I do agree. Signs need to be legible. NJ interchanges look like spaghetti bowls.. hard to read signs in NJ would be disasterous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.