News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The "other" road trip - Chambersburg to Cedar Point and Detroit

Started by noelbotevera, September 25, 2016, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

This road trip is something we'll do in the summer in case that we can't go to Toronto and Montreal. This will take one week.

Route: I'm not really planning on doing much roadgeekery on this trip, so I'll just opt for the PA Turnpike, then Ohio Turnpike to US 250.

I should note that I'll be spending three days at Cedar Point, 2 weekdays and 1 weekend so I have the shortest lines (except for when we go to the waterpark). I'll do two days in the park and one day in the waterpark.

The other two days are for mainly my dad, as we'll go to Detroit, and he hasn't been back to Detroit since 1992. I'll see mostly the suburbs and maybe Ann Arbor.

I probably can't get a season pass, so no exclusive ride time, unless the stars line up and get two people Platinum Passes. I'm also doing two rides on each coaster, one in the front seat, other in the back seat. This won't be in the same day.

So here's the plan for Cedar Point:
1. Rush over to Top Thrill Dragster. That line gets filled quick.
2. Valravn, because it's close enough. It's also new, so this can easily top maybe three or four hours. If it's more than an hour, I'll try Millennium Force.
3. Millennium Force. It's close to Valravn, and the lines for them can top two hours.
4. Maverick. Also not far, but I'm not sure if the lines for this are that long, as it's basically in the back of the park.
5. Gemini. Shouldn't be much of a line.
6. Magnum XL-200. Also shouldn't be much of a drag, since Millennium Force is more popular, so this shouldn't have long lines.
7. Corkscrew. This one never has a line, so I bet I can cram it in before lunch.
8. Lunch near Top Thrill Dragster. Mostly just so I'm close to Rougarou, and I can also watch TTD launch and hopefully see a rollback.
9. Rougarou. I'm not sure if the general public considers this new, so I'm betting that I can snag short lines for this one.
10. Raptor. It's fairly close to the main entrance, so this might be the last ride of the day.
11. Gatekeeper. If the stars line up right, I might be able to get this ride before the park closes.
-NEXT DAY-
12. Wicked Twister. This might not have much of a line, because it's so far to the edge of the park, right up to the beach and not many people go there. So it's off the beaten path.
13. Blue Streak. It's off the beaten path, so this never gets a line.
14. Iron Dragon. The capacity for this coaster is fairly high, so this can also be a short wait.
15. Cedar Creek Mine Ride. It's along the way, may as well ride it. Shouldn't be too long.
16. Mean Streak. Hopefully it's gone or redesigned, but I guess I'll take it just to bang my head.
17. Any coasters we weren't able to get to on Day 1 we will also ride. I should be able to also get back/front seat rides if we weren't able to do so on Day 1. Also we'll eat lunch after Mean Streak.
-NEXT DAY-
Soak City Waterpark. I don't care if it was renamed.
18. I'll get the back pain dealt with right now and right there. I'll do all the water slides.
19. I'll also get the Lazy Rivers done with. I'll go for many two laps on each.
20. Swim a little bit, because why not, with all the splash zones.
21. I'll re-enter the park and ride any roller coaster I was not able to get front/back seat on.
22. I'll check out what else there is. I'll do the thrill rides like maXair, Pipe Scream, et cetera.

I haven't done much planning of Detroit, so any suggestions of Cedar Point/Detroit are welcome.

renegade

You aren't going to be riding the Mean Streak.  It closed for good two weeks ago and disassembly has already begun.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

noelbotevera

Quote from: renegade on September 26, 2016, 12:33:03 AM
You aren't going to be riding the Mean Streak.  It closed for good two weeks ago and disassembly has already begun.
Well, there has been rumors that it might reopen being redesigned by Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC). I'm thinking that they're simply disassembling the track.

Rothman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 26, 2016, 06:30:11 AM
Quote from: renegade on September 26, 2016, 12:33:03 AM
Well, there has been rumors that it might reopen being redesigned by Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC). I'm thinking that they're simply disassembling the track.

I read that it is being torn down and being totally replaced by an RMC coaster.  After years of tinkering with Mean Streak, it remains unpopular due to how rough the ride is, even causing injuries to the riders.  Glad they're getting rid of it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.