News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Smallest radius Loop in Texas?

Started by blawp, April 30, 2012, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

Is it the one in Crockett? Is there another one I'm missing?

bassoon1986

I can't remember if it's a spur or loop but 157 in Teneha is pretty tiny

national highway 1

Wow, Loop 157 is only 1.4 mi long, it could be BUS US 96.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bassoon1986

Are you still talking about why 157 in Teneha bc it would be BUS 59 or 84. 96 only begins southeast of Teneha proper

NE2

Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 30, 2012, 01:54:41 PM
How would you define the radius of that one?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on May 01, 2012, 12:39:55 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 30, 2012, 01:54:41 PM
How would you define the radius of that one?

FWIW, it's signed as a Loop. I'm sure there is a way to define its radius given the proper math skills.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

You would need to define an arc segment equation (x^2+y^2=C) that represents the least squares fit to the actual loop route. Assuming you can get the centerline defined in GIS or from record plans, it becomes a set of equations mixing algebra, trig, and calculus. Doable, but not something I'd want to dive into.

J N Winkler

I don't think all state Loops in Texas are in fact closed loops.  It is still possible to define radius mathematically for open loops, but the exercise loses some of its point.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 21, 2012, 09:06:49 PM
I don't think all state Loops in Texas are in fact closed loops.  It is still possible to define radius mathematically for open loops, but the exercise loses some of its point.
I was referring to open loops. Closed loops are much easier to define - get the area inside, divide by pi and take the square root.

austrini

It doesnt go all the way around, but the one in Gladewater is less than a mile from their downtown.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.