News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois isn't flat

Started by Crash_It, July 30, 2021, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2021, 06:34:19 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 18, 2021, 10:47:00 PM
I wanted to check for myself where the highest point in the state is, and it stands at only 1200 feet tall. Pretty flat if you ask me.

Of course, terrain can be hilly, but that's true of pretty much everywhere. You won't get 100% level terrain anywhere.
Charles Mound in Jo Daviess County which I said awhile back is probably the most scenic county in the state. The high point in Illinois is only about a half mile south of the Wisconsin border too.
You would think that when your state's only scenic county is wedged between two other states, you would understand that Illinois is not scenic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on October 19, 2021, 07:51:15 AM
I wanted to check for myself where the highest point in the state is, and it stands at only 1200 feet tall. Pretty flat if you ask me.

Of course, terrain can be hilly, but that's true of pretty much everywhere. You won't get 100% level terrain anywhere.
Charles Mound in Jo Daviess County which I said awhile back is probably the most scenic county in the state. The high point in Illinois is only about a half mile south of the Wisconsin border too.
You would think that when your state's only scenic county is wedged between two other states, you would understand that Illinois is not scenic.

But that's not what being an irrational homer is about. 

Flint1979

I would think that as well. Heck I probably live in one of the most boring counties in Michigan (Saginaw). It's feature is the Shiawassee Flats which is a wildlife refuge in the middle of the county, other than that it's flat farm fields with no natural lakes to speak of. Oh and Saginaw is run down and not scenic at all. Now with that I just knocked my hometown but you know what it's the truth.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2021, 09:21:59 AMI probably live in one of the most boring counties in Michigan (Saginaw). It's feature is the Shiawassee Flats which is a wildlife refuge in the middle of the county, other than that it's flat farm fields with no natural lakes to speak of. Oh and Saginaw is run down and not scenic at all. Now with that I just knocked my hometown but you know what it's the truth.
But having said that, you don't extend that opinion to the whole of Michigan.  Unlike our favorite video-poster does for Illinois.

JayhawkCO

I 100% declare that Arapahoe County is not the most scenic county in Colorado.  And, it's mostly flat, but I do not think Colorado is flat.

Chris

renegade

Arapahoe County is not flat.  Illinois is flat.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on October 19, 2021, 09:34:40 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2021, 09:21:59 AMI probably live in one of the most boring counties in Michigan (Saginaw). It's feature is the Shiawassee Flats which is a wildlife refuge in the middle of the county, other than that it's flat farm fields with no natural lakes to speak of. Oh and Saginaw is run down and not scenic at all. Now with that I just knocked my hometown but you know what it's the truth.
But having said that, you don't extend that opinion to the whole of Michigan.  Unlike our favorite video-poster does for Illinois.
Nope because there are scenic counties in Michigan. Saginaw County though isn't one of them.

Crash_It

There's way more than one scenic county. When my I70 video is released this week (making all the signs now) you'll see that.

Scott5114

Pretty much every state's high point is near one of its borders if there's not a mountain range or something running down the middle of it. The east half of Oklahoma isn't flat, but the high point is Black Mesa at the tip of the Panhandle, simply because the elevation increases from east to west (and barring that one mesa, 95% of the Panhandle is flat).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: Crash_It on October 19, 2021, 02:02:26 PM

There's way more than one scenic county. When my I70 video is released this week (making all the signs now) you'll see that.

Unlike a lot of people in this thread, I'm willing to grant Illinois as potentially being scenic, but I-70 is far from the best argument to make in its favor. The south half of I-57 would make the case a lot better.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2021, 02:41:11 PM
Pretty much every state's high point is near one of its borders if there's not a mountain range or something running down the middle of it. The east half of Oklahoma isn't flat, but the high point is Black Mesa at the tip of the Panhandle, simply because the elevation increases from east to west (and barring that one mesa, 95% of the Panhandle is flat).

Looks like about 50/50.

Chris

Scott5114

I didn't know Kansas bordered New Brunswick.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2021, 02:48:26 PM

It was NB until 1969.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 19, 2021, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2021, 02:48:26 PM

It was NB until 1969.

But the map is typeset in Italia, which didn't come out until 1975, so this map was clearly made after 1969.

bing101

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 02:46:38 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2021, 02:41:11 PM

Looks like about 50/50.

Chris

Washington State has to be one where its highest point is in the center of the state.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bing101 on October 19, 2021, 02:53:25 PM
Washington State has to be one where its highest point is in the center of the state.

Arkansas, Alaska, Colorado, and Idaho aren't that far off center.

Chris

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 02:56:28 PM

Maine is almost dead center also.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on October 19, 2021, 03:02:13 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 02:56:28 PM

Maine is almost dead center also.

Mt. Katahdin is actually a little farther north than my first pic shows.  I found a better one:

Chris

Flint1979

I've been on I-70 in Illinois and there is nothing scenic about it so your video isn't going to show that.

hbelkins

The maps make West Virginia's high point appear closer to a state line than it really is.

Kentucky's is on the border with Virginia, and Tennessee's is on the border with North Carolina.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2021, 03:41:54 PM

I've been on I-70 in Illinois and there is nothing scenic about it so your video isn't going to show that.

Keep in mind this is the guy who counts bridges on the Chicago Skyway as geographic features. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2021, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 19, 2021, 03:41:54 PM

Keep in mind this is the guy who counts bridges on the Chicago Skyway as geographic features.
LMAO

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 18, 2021, 11:21:03 PM
I want to hear more about how bridges on the Chicago Skyway factor into Illinois not being flat.

Basically, manmade structures being high up in the sky = the state itself being hilly... or that's what I'm understanding from the flawed logic.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 19, 2021, 04:03:13 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 18, 2021, 11:21:03 PM
I want to hear more about how bridges on the Chicago Skyway factor into Illinois not being flat.

Basically, manmade structures being high up in the sky = the state itself being hilly... or that's what I'm understanding from the flawed logic.

Or "flawless logic"  perhaps?

US 89

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.