News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Detroit - Removal of I-375

Started by JREwing78, November 24, 2013, 11:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

Six alternatives have been revealed for the I-375 reconstruction. They range from rebuilding nearly as-is to gradually elevating the road to street-level. Somehow, I prefer the alternative in the poll which is listed as most expensive, but there should be something to connect the riverfront while keeping a free flow from Jefferson to I-375. There will be a public open house on Thursday at Eastern Market's Shed 5, and public comment is also being sought at http://www.i375detroit.com/ (the project's website).

billtm

Will the new I-375 Boulevard be signed as Route M-10?  :hmmm:
And if it is, would the fact that it intersects Route M-3 twice be confusing?  :confused:

billtm

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 18, 2014, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on January 18, 2014, 10:27:37 PM
What if there was a large (possibly signalized) roundabout where I-375 turns toward downtown Detroit at Jefferson Ave?
roundabout would possibly work, they could even put a monument in the center, I don't think there are signalized roundabouts in the US, are there?

In Washington DC, many of the entrances and exits to Dupont circle are signalized. And I bet there are many other traffic circles like it. (Looking at Google Sat and GSV images, Scott, Thomas, and Logan Circles all also have at least one tragic signal)

rawmustard

Quote from: billtm on June 08, 2014, 03:43:31 PM
And if it is, would the fact that it intersects Route M-3 twice be confusing?  :confused:

They haven't even chosen a preferred alternative yet. These are the six that are under consideration.

JREwing78

Resurrecting the zombie thread - MDOT has narrowed down its I-375 options to two that abolish it in favor of a surface boulevard.

MDOT moving ahead with plan to rip out I-375 freeway, restore surface street
https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2017/12/05/mdot-375-freeway/920875001/

MDOT I-375 study backs boulevard plans
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20171203/news/646641/mdot-i-375-study-backs-boulevard-plans

seicer

silverback1065

i support the removal, it's a great idea

Great Lakes Roads

Me too!! It's a very useless freeway!! Let's tear this freeway into pieces!!  :clap: :clap: Hey, at least they are going to fix the interchange with I-75!! So, it's a win-win situation for everyone!!

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 05, 2017, 07:41:46 PM
Resurrecting the zombie thread - MDOT has narrowed down its I-375 options to two that abolish it in favor of a surface boulevard.

MDOT moving ahead with plan to rip out I-375 freeway, restore surface street
https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2017/12/05/mdot-375-freeway/920875001/

MDOT I-375 study backs boulevard plans
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20171203/news/646641/mdot-i-375-study-backs-boulevard-plans
So they are getting rid of I-375 no matter what? Heck Yeah!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Terry Shea

What waste of money!  And get this crap: "expressways did incalculable damage to cities like Detroit, destroying viable neighborhoods and facilitating the flight of residents to the suburbs."  Sorry but that's not what caused the flight of residents to the suburbs!  The suburbs have expressways (freeways) too.

Flint1979

Flint1979

Quote from: billtm on June 08, 2014, 03:43:31 PM
I doubt it, no one really calls streets in Detroit by their numbers though.
M-10 is the Lodge, M-3 is Gratiot, M-1 is Woodward, M-5 is Grand River, M-85 is Fort, M-8 is Davison, M-39 is Southfield and so on.
So to answer your second question I don't think it would be, people would know they are on either Gratiot or Randolph.

Flint1979

I fully support getting rid of I-375 all together, getting rid of the Gratiot connector, getting rid of the Lodge south of Grand Blvd. to fix that awful interchange with the Ford and one further down with the Fisher. That Ford/Lodge interchange was planned in the 1950's and hasn't been upgraded since, has left lane movements between both freeways and takes up a large chunk of land. Not to mention it completely destroyed 4th Street with Holden dead ending at the Lodge on both sides you can tell by just looking at a map that the street use to go through.

Flint1979

Quote from: Terry Shea on December 06, 2017, 04:22:22 PM
What waste of money!  And get this crap: "expressways did incalculable damage to cities like Detroit, destroying viable neighborhoods and facilitating the flight of residents to the suburbs."  Sorry but that's not what caused the flight of residents to the suburbs!  The suburbs have expressways (freeways) too.
They didn't before Detroit did. The flight to the suburbs started when the freeways were built.

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 06, 2017, 03:06:58 PM

I like this part of the project more.
What I like the most here is getting rid of that Gratiot Connector. I have hated that stretch of freeway forever.

Brandon

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 06, 2017, 05:40:12 PM

They didn't before Detroit did. The flight to the suburbs started when the freeways were built.

Utter and complete bullshit.  The flight was already in progress when the freeways were built.  One could date the start of it to the 1943 riot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

silverback1065

fixing that jog on 75 is a great thing. i'd also kill m-10 south of 75.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on December 06, 2017, 05:58:03 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 06, 2017, 05:40:12 PM

Utter and complete bullshit.  The flight was already in progress when the freeways were built.  One could date the start of it to the 1943 riot.
Detroit still reported growth between 1940 and 1950, the 1960 census is the first one where Detroit lost population. The freeways in Detroit were planned and built in the 1940's and 1950's.

seicer

Let's not forget just how many vibrant neighborhoods and business districts the freeways replaced when they were being built. Just looking at HistoricAerials, it's extremely depressing to see just what transpired in only a few decades. Riots were a main instigator, but freeways just made it extremely convenient for white flight to occur.

abefroman329

The Ghostbuster

I don't like freeway-to-boulevard conversions. I'm okay with getting rid of the eastward stub to Gratiot Avenue, but given how much traffic uses existing Interstate 375 (80,000), the boulevard would have to be at least 6, more likely 8 lanes to not be horribly congested. And turn lanes would also have to be plentiful.

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2017, 06:10:55 PM
I don't like freeway-to-boulevard conversions. I'm okay with getting rid of the eastward stub to Gratiot Avenue, but given how much traffic uses existing Interstate 375 (80,000), the boulevard would have to be at least 6, more likely 8 lanes to not be horribly congested. And turn lanes would also have to be plentiful.
Not even close to 80,000 use I-375 daily. The northern portion has about 53,000 vpd, the southern portion has about 14,000 vpd. Most of the traffic is exiting at Madison or Lafayette. I-375 is a useless expressway, it'd be better served to cut the expressway at Gratiot and have a surface street the rest of the way using the existing service drives. Traffic after the first exit south of I-75 on both I-375 and the Lodge drop.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 07, 2017, 08:24:22 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2017, 06:10:55 PM
Not even close to 80,000 use I-375 daily. The northern portion has about 53,000 vpd, the southern portion has about 14,000 vpd. Most of the traffic is exiting at Madison or Lafayette. I-375 is a useless expressway, it'd be better served to cut the expressway at Gratiot and have a surface street the rest of the way using the existing service drives. Traffic after the first exit south of I-75 on both I-375 and the Lodge drop.

Then why did they make it into a interstate in the first place considering Detroit started to decline in the 60s?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.