News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

I know someone who waited months to get a muffler for a G8.
C-o-H

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 26, 2015, 02:38:57 PM
While NJSP themselves may not be able to do anything about such...

OTOH, one phone call from NJSP's procurement person to GM's fleet sales person, along the lines of "Want our repeat business?  Fix this!" might get them off their butts.  If it doesn't, then start pointing fingers...and find another vendor...
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 27, 2015, 03:20:52 PM

OTOH, one phone call from NJSP's procurement person to GM's fleet sales person, along the lines of "Want our repeat business?  Fix this!" might get them off their butts.  If it doesn't, then start pointing fingers...and find another vendor...

That's not how the bidding process works.

PHLBOS

Unlike GM's decision to kill off its original B-bodied Caprice nearly 2 decades ago (that move p#ssed off a lot of law enforcement agencies including NJSP); GM in the U.S. can't control the decisions made by an affiliated Australian Auto Company (Holden) to liquidate cease vehicle production.  The Caprice PPV's and SS' fates are completely at the mercy of Holden. 

What GM (not necessarily its fleet division, mind you) can be blamed for in the whole Holden debacle was not offering the Statesman-based Caprice to both retail and fleet markets from the get-go and/or assembling/building it closer to home for its intended markets.  Many, likely, knew the issues/problems behind the offering of a remotely-built model to an exclusively fleet market from Day One.

Nonetheless, whoever awards the bids for NJSP patrol vehicles will likely (should IMHO) take Holden/Caprice PPV's future into account in future bidding cycles.  Will NJSP stay w/GM and opt for the Tahoe PPV next time around or instead go with the Dodge Charger, Ford's Police Interceptor (Taurus) or Utility Interceptor (Explorer)?  Stay tuned.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

YankeesFan

why are they discontinuing the Caprice PPV? i see alot more NJSP Tahoes...Ford needs to bring back the CVPI

SidS1045

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 27, 2015, 04:25:53 PM

It is exactly how it works, if NJSP says so.  There are ways of crafting specifications that can effectively exclude certain providers, without specifically excluding them.

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 27, 2015, 05:18:39 PMGM in the U.S. can't control the decisions made by an Australian Auto Company (Holden) to liquidate.

I thought they were both divisions of GM corporate?

qguy

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 27, 2015, 07:58:45 PM

It is exactly how it works, if NJSP says so.  There are ways of crafting specifications that can effectively exclude certain providers, without specifically excluding them.

When I worked for PennDOT we had the ability to designate contractors and vendors as permanently or temporarily not qualified based on past poor performance. It had to be thoroughly justified and documented, but in essence (in sid's words), it is exactly how it works.

PHLBOS

Quote from: YankeesFan on May 27, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
why are they discontinuing the Caprice PPV?
Holden, the Australian company that manufactures the Caprice PPV, will be no longer be manufacturing vehicles after 2017.

From Holden's website
Bold emphasis added in below-quote:
QuoteIn December 2013, Holden announced it would transition to a national sales company and full-line importer in Australia and New Zealand by the end of 2017. Holden will discontinue vehicle and engine manufacturing and significantly reduce its engineering operations in Australia by the end of 2017.
Quote from: YankeesFan on May 27, 2015, 06:58:13 PMFord needs to bring back the CVPI.
You're preaching to the choir with that statement.

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 27, 2015, 08:04:49 PMI thought they were both divisions of GM corporate?
Quote from: Holden WebsiteToday Holden is one of only seven fully-integrated global General Motors operations that designs, builds and sells vehicles for Australia and the world.
The key word there is global.  The decisions made regarding Holden's vehicle-producing future were due to the marketing conditions (& sales) in Australia.  Keeping the division alive for the sole purpose of selling a police-only car and a limited-production sports sedan for a market located on the opposite side of the globe is not economically wise nor viable.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 27, 2015, 04:25:53 PMThat's not how the bidding process works.
Quite true.  When Ford halted production of its Panther-platformed cars (including the CVPI, aka P71), CHP wasted no time at all modifying their specs (beefing up minimum payload requirements) so that the only eligible police-packaged vehicles that met that criteria for bidding were SUVs (Tahoe PPV, Utility Interceptor (Explorer)).  Such made a clear point (to vehicle manufacturers) that CHP was not going to be forced into smaller vehicles.

All NJSP and other agencies have to do to blacklist the Caprice PPV from future bidding is state in their specs that the vehicles chosen for their fleets have to be produced/manufactured in North America.

Here's a pic. of one of those NJSP ghost squad Caprices:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: qguy on May 28, 2015, 05:52:59 AM

When I worked for PennDOT we had the ability to designate contractors and vendors as permanently or temporarily not qualified based on past poor performance. It had to be thoroughly justified and documented, but in essence (in sid's words), it is exactly how it works.

But there's a difference between past performance, as in they were supposed to deliver in 180 days and they failed to deliver in that time frame, compared to delivering exactly what was called for in the specs but a manufacturer decided to discontinue the product 2 or 3 years after the bids were announced.

SteveG1988

Has anyone noticed that on the four lane section the I-95 shields are pasted right ontop of Older smaller ones?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

PHLBOS

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 28, 2015, 10:00:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that on the four lane section the I-95 shields are pasted right ontop of Older smaller ones?
On I-295 (at least north of I-76/NJ 42), most of the shields on the BGS' appear to have been either replaced or have had new decals placed over existing sign-mounted shields.  As a whole, the numerals are smaller and the red-and-blue shield limits aren't completely in-sync with the shields edges (uneven white borders).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 18, 2015, 04:16:16 PM
Such reminds me a bit of this particular Dustin comic strip from last February.  :sombrero:
Just one more reason I'm glad I don't use a GPS.

storm2k

The structural steel started going up on the new building at the Grover Cleveland Service Area. I'll bet construction will move quickly now.

SignBridge

Well it's about time. it's only been two and a half years........

Mergingtraffic

I haven't been on the Tpke in a few months, any older button copy signs come down over the past two or three months?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cpzilliacus

NJ.com: Pay a toll today? You likely gave money to 1 of the 2 most lucrative toll agencies in America

QuoteA national organization has named the New Jersey Turnpike Authority as the top money making toll agency in the country, just edging out the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

QuoteAnd the Turnpike Authority could be on track to do it again, after more traffic and cheap gas helped erase toll revenue losses from the nasty winter of 2015 and increased earnings for the first five months of 2015 beyond a consultant's predictions.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 07, 2015, 12:23:42 PM
NJ.com: Pay a toll today? You likely gave money to 1 of the 2 most lucrative toll agencies in America

QuoteA national organization has named the New Jersey Turnpike Authority as the top money making toll agency in the country, just edging out the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

QuoteAnd the Turnpike Authority could be on track to do it again, after more traffic and cheap gas helped erase toll revenue losses from the nasty winter of 2015 and increased earnings for the first five months of 2015 beyond a consultant's predictions.
At least the Turnpike Authority uses its entire revenue on highway projects and reinvests in maintaining a safe and efficient transportation network.

SignBridge

Yes, we definitely get our moneys-worth on the NJ Turnpike. Not so with the Port Authority.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2015, 06:25:50 PM
At least the Turnpike Authority uses its entire revenue on highway projects and reinvests in maintaining a safe and efficient transportation network.

Not exactly.

I believe the NJTA is required to make a "contribution" in most years to NJDOT.  According to the Turnpike's audited 2014 financial statements (here (in .pdf), about $354,001,000 was transferred (diverted) to the State of New Jersey during fiscal year 2014).

Is this as bad or as crippling as Pennsylvania's Act 44 and follow-on Act 89, which requires massive Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission payments to PennDOT to subsidize transit and other non-highway spending on that state.  IMO, no.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

storm2k

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 08, 2015, 12:27:02 AM

Not exactly.

I believe the NJTA is required to make a "contribution" in most years to NJDOT.  According to the Turnpike's audited 2014 financial statements (here (in .pdf), about $354,001,000 was transferred (diverted) to the State of New Jersey during fiscal year 2014).

Is this as bad or as crippling as Pennsylvania's Act 44 and follow-on Act 89, which requires massive Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission payments to PennDOT to subsidize transit and other non-highway spending on that state.  IMO, no.

I don't believe that the payments the NJTA has to pay cripples the Authority in the way the PTC is getting nailed to the wall by Act 44/89, but it does hurt bottom lines. I think that some of Corzine's plans to reorg everything in '06 or '07 would have made things worse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 08, 2015, 03:43:48 PM

Not exactly.

I don't believe that the payments the NJTA has to pay cripples the Authority in the way the PTC is getting nailed to the wall by Act 44/89, but it does hurt bottom lines. I think that some of Corzine's plans to reorg everything in '06 or '07 would have made things worse.

Where you noticeably see it is on routine maintenance, such as repaving the roadway.  The asphalt is a bit more rutted and cracked in some areas.  In the past, they would never have such long intervals between paving projects.

Alps

Not exactly.

Keep in mind the purpose of this subsidy (as one would) is for improvements on roads connecting to or paralleling the Turnpike. It's in NJTA's interest to maximize the traffic coming to their roadway, and some of that work won't be within their jurisdiction.

storm2k

Looks like the MUTCD sign replacement project on the Turnpike has started to pick up steam. A bunch of signs along the Western Spur have been repalced with MUTCD signage recently. One thing I am noticing is that the older Exit Point signs (not sure the correct TA name for them, the ones right at the exit that are overhead and say Exit XX with a Turnpike arrow) are not being removed. Not sure if they're going to come down later and gore point exit signs will be installed or what.

Also of note is that at 16W, "Sports Complex" is now on a brown background to set it apart, much like the supplemental signage that was installed in the recent past has been.

roadman65

Is the new signage at 16W have the pull through signs still "NEXT EXIT X MILES" or does it use the I-95 and Turnpike (shield) NORTH and the George Washington Bridge on it?

As far as the brown, I guess the NJTA is considering all non city locations to be like many consider historic places to be like.  Even Six Flags has always been brown and so is the State Aquarium using brown backround signs.  I simply think for myself that it makes the sports plex to stand out even more, so whatever the reason is, its not a bad thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.