News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jwolfer on October 12, 2015, 11:22:58 PM
Does the GSP still have CR 614 and CR 618 on the bgs in Ocean County

If the BGS are old, yes. But new policy is not to sign 6xx routes (Turnpike and Parkway), only 5xx. I don't believe NJDOT has a set policy on it, so they would sign 6xx routes where they are used for wayfinding. That's mostly south Jersey.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2015, 07:09:34 AM

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2015, 07:50:12 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 11, 2015, 11:03:23 PM
The only instances I've seen of blue pentagons on a green guide sign involved no yellow background. This goes back to probably 287, either when the first new segment opened (23 to 511) or when the whole new shebang opened in 1993.

I... what?

NJ has always used the square.

I guess I'm wrong.  My mind must tune out that yellow back.

Just to add to my self flagellation, I looked around at the other examples I could think of, and it turns out that they to all have this yellow backing and it never registered with me while driving by at 60+ miles per hour.

This raises the question–will New Jersey be dropping this yellow background just as it has bowed to the pressure to drop the black background that is part of its state route sign?

odditude

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 15, 2015, 05:50:43 PM
This raises the question–will New Jersey be dropping this yellow background just as it has bowed to the pressure to drop the black background that is part of its state route sign?
i hope not - while there's no contrast issue with a white shield against a green background, there's definitely one with the CR shield.

Alps

Quote from: odditude on October 15, 2015, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 15, 2015, 05:50:43 PM
i hope not - while there's no contrast issue with a white shield against a green background, there's definitely one with the CR shield.
I believe the new standard for the MUTCD will not have a square background, but that's not going to be effective until the next update, so wait and see.

ekt8750

Alps

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 16, 2015, 02:51:53 PM
Quote from: BrianP on October 16, 2015, 02:39:11 PM
The 'recent' signage changes on NJ 42 have CR shields with no yellow background:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.787241,-75.0487314,3a,75y,25.81h,82.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLyCnMDwyato_d785JtFYaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8278357,-75.0857428,3a,75y,310.69h,93.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s16prpUYPJeoFUX--S9ltuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8374581,-75.0921933,3a,75y,160.68h,88.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snQr77KD8jwJj4zBcsr861Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8064438,-75.0580648,3a,75y,175.44h,69.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbdjKmrbRyX8fXOxVkrpwqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is there new signage yet for Creek Road on NJ 42?

On 42 North yes and CR shield is on a yellow backdrop. Also all of the new signage in the Bellmawr interchange and on I-76 have the NJ 42 and US 130 shields on black backdrops.

Also the signs in those GSVs are either no more or old in the case of the case of the last two.
Yeah, that's definitely an older variant with limited application in the state.

odditude

the new exit 2 signage on I-95 NB is sans background as well. personally, not a fan.

KEVIN_224

Do you mean I-95 Exit 2 near Trenton? Turnpike Exit 2 isn't part of I-95.

odditude

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 18, 2015, 08:54:50 AM
Do you mean I-95 Exit 2 near Trenton?
yes.

Quote from: KEVIN_224Turnpike Exit 2 isn't part of I-95.
exit 2 on the Turnpike is also not for a county route.

Alps

Quote from: odditude on October 18, 2015, 10:06:38 PM
yes.

False. It's CR 536. :) And east of there, US 322 is county maintained for some distance.

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on October 19, 2015, 10:18:55 PM
yes.

False. It's CR 536. :) And east of there, US 322 is county maintained for some distance.

Is there a reliable website that tells you which highways in NJ are county-maintained but state/U.S. signed?

Speaking of county maintained roads in NJ, do the counties have road maintenance vehicles with county seals on them like they do here in MD?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on October 20, 2015, 07:45:01 AM
yes.

Is there a reliable website that tells you which highways in NJ are county-maintained but state/U.S. signed?

Speaking of county maintained roads in NJ, do the counties have road maintenance vehicles with county seals on them like they do here in MD?

ixnay

The Straight Line Diagrams have a line in them for each map, showing the jurisdiction of the roadway.

It's also referenced in some areas of the NJDOT Traffic Regulations section of their website, including:
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders/speed/rt322.shtm
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders/parking/rt322.shtm

jeffandnicole

Whoops...looks like the NJ Turnpike Exit 7A Inner Roadway (Car Lanes) southbound exit ramp will be closed for a month to fix a contractor error. Per the article, the contractor is picking up the tab for the repairs.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/10/nj_turnpike_car_lanes_exit_at_7a_to_close_for_mont.html

The New Jersey Turnpike will close the southbound car lanes exit at interchange 7A for about a month starting Wednesday to repair improperly installed steel plates.

The car lanes travel over a bridge that was constructed during the Interchange 6 to 9 Widening Program and an inspection found the steel plates beneath the bridge were not built to specification, the Turnpike Authority (NJTA) said.

The contractor is replacing the deficient steel plates at no additional cost to the NJTA. The work is expected to be completed before Thanksgiving.

(Edited as the Exit here is 7A, not 7 as originally written)

odditude

Quote from: Mr. PeabodyQuiet, you!

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 08:53:17 AM
Whoops...looks like the NJ Turnpike Exit 7 Inner Roadway (Car Lanes) southbound exit ramp will be closed for a month to fix a contractor error. Per the article, the contractor is picking up the tab for the repairs.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/10/nj_turnpike_car_lanes_exit_at_7a_to_close_for_mont.html

The New Jersey Turnpike will close the southbound car lanes exit at interchange 7A for about a month starting Wednesday to repair improperly installed steel plates.

The car lanes travel over a bridge that was constructed during the Interchange 6 to 9 Widening Program and an inspection found the steel plates beneath the bridge were not built to specification, the Turnpike Authority (NJTA) said.

The contractor is replacing the deficient steel plates at no additional cost to the NJTA. The work is expected to be completed before Thanksgiving.
It's exit 7A, not 7.
NJ 511 has a warning about the upcoming closure. They are advising those who don't want to use the truck lanes to use exit 8 or 7 instead. First, why would you not want to use the truck lanes (unless they are more congested or something). Second, doesn't switching to the truck lanes at the Molly Pitcher service area deserve a mention?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 20, 2015, 12:44:17 PM
Whoops...looks like the NJ Turnpike Exit 7 Inner Roadway (Car Lanes) southbound exit ramp will be closed for a month to fix a contractor error. Per the article, the contractor is picking up the tab for the repairs.

It's exit 7A, not 7.
NJ 511 has a warning about the upcoming closure. They are advising those who don't want to use the truck lanes to use exit 8 or 7 instead. First, why would you not want to use the truck lanes (unless they are more congested or something). Second, doesn't switching to the truck lanes at the Molly Pitcher service area deserve a mention?

You're correct; I'll change my original post.

I think, in order to get everyone to use the truck lanes, you would have to have every entering Southbound VMS hybrid sign mention that.  While they may do that, no doubt people would miss or not completely understand the message.  It's nice they'll offer two options (Exits 8 & 7) for a detour, as NJDOT's policy is only to sign a detour after the exit.

Many of those VMS ssigns also say 'and Cars' or something like that for the Truck Lanes, along with the down arrow.  I wonder how extensively they would be used for a message like this.

The NJ Turnpike has never encouraged thru-traffic to go through the service plazas just to change roadways, even though many people know they can do that. 

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2015, 12:56:36 PM
I think, in order to get everyone to use the truck lanes, you would have to have every entering Southbound VMS hybrid sign mention that.  While they may do that, no doubt people would miss or not completely understand the message.  It's nice they'll offer two options (Exits 8 & 7) for a detour, as NJDOT's policy is only to sign a detour after the exit.
From the wording of the announcement, it seems that detours will be posted at exit 8. They are just mentioning that you could use exit 7 as well.
Many of those VMS ssigns also say 'and Cars' or something like that for the Truck Lanes, along with the down arrow.  I wonder how extensively they would be used for a message like this.
The old signs (pre-widening) would (still do?) just say "cars, trucks, and buses". The new VMS signs seem to have "and cars" at the bottom, which is not very well lit at night, so is easy to miss.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: bzakharin on October 20, 2015, 03:41:42 PM
From the wording of the announcement, it seems that detours will be posted at exit 8. They are just mentioning that you could use exit 7 as well.

Can confirm "Detour I-195" signs along the Hightstown Bypass as of this morning.

ixnay

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 20, 2015, 06:08:20 PM

Can confirm "Detour I-195" signs along the Hightstown Bypass as of this morning.

And what is generating *that*?

ixnay

cl94

Quote from: ixnay on October 20, 2015, 07:10:20 PM

And what is generating *that*?

ixnay

Whoops...looks like the NJ Turnpike Exit 7A Inner Roadway (Car Lanes) southbound exit ramp will be closed for a month to fix a contractor error. Per the article, the contractor is picking up the tab for the repairs.

(Edited as the Exit here is 7A, not 7 as originally written)

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bzakharin

So no detour signs on 206/130, just like I thought?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 21, 2015, 02:42:41 PM

So no detour signs on 206/130, just like I thought?

It's doubtful that this person would travel both areas at one time.  Give it a little time before you can give yourself a hardy pat on the back.

BTW, here's the actual announcement.  Exit 7 is mentioned as a detour option. http://nj.gov/turnpike/documents/NEWS_RELEASE_Interchange_7A_FINAL.pdf

roadman65

Who would want to drive 14 miles out of the way and pay extra tolls.  I do not know why the NJT will not build a temporary crossover about two miles before the interchange and allow for drivers in the car lanes to just transfer over.

Any other agency would do that.  Why does the NJTA have to be so anal about this? 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 21, 2015, 02:57:58 PM

Who would want to drive 14 miles out of the way and pay extra tolls.  I do not know why the NJT will not build a temporary crossover about two miles before the interchange and allow for drivers in the car lanes to just transfer over.

Any other agency would do that.  Why does the NJTA have to be so anal about this? 

Whaaa?  You do know that if someone going south exits at Exit 8, rather than 7A, they are paying LESS in tolls, not greater!  And that's the optimal detour.  The secondary detour is using Exit 7, which would amount to about 50 cents more in tolls.

Besides that, it's normal NJ Turnpike policy not to have any crossovers, along with leftside ramps.

And...the NJ Turnpike isn't paying for the repairs due to contractor error.  Why would they pay millions to engineer, design and build a crossover, which would also involve numerous signage structures, for something that can be handled by 2 signed detours?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.