News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The sign in the photo is the Exit 10 plaza.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 02, 2018, 06:28:36 PM
The sign in the photo is the Exit 10 plaza.

Correct. I took it. Just tagging on other plazas where this is showing up.

Roadwarriors79

Does the NJTA have any plans to replace the variable message signage near the north end of the Turnpike? It looks like all the other signs are being replaced or have been replaced to be more MUTCD compliant.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 16, 2018, 10:26:02 AM
Does the NJTA have any plans to replace the variable message signage near the north end of the Turnpike? It looks like all the other signs are being replaced or have been replaced to be more MUTCD compliant.

I honestly thought they were going to replace more of the barrel signs along the northern end of the Turnpike, but other than the ones at the northern end where the Express and Local roadways heading to the GWB are, it doesn't appear so. I thought they'd adapt the style of hybrid barrel/LCD signs for the entrance ramps to the inner and outer roadways for the dual dual but they only ended up replacing one, the approach sign on the Exit 10 onramp to the Turnpike southbound (and that one is just the standard color VMS used all over the roadway now).

It may be that they'll do those signs in a future capital plan when funds are more available. Right now it seems like they have a lot locked up in things like structurereplacements and the like.

jeffandnicole

Are these signs south of Exits 18E/W, or in the vicinity of I-80/95 north of 18E/W?

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2018, 02:05:01 PM

Are these signs south of Exits 18E/W, or in the vicinity of I-80/95 north of 18E/W?

They replaced the ones north of 18E/W which were last replaced in 2000.

Mergingtraffic

Is this still there? At the US-46 off-ramp split NB.
NJ Tpke You Have Left
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ixnay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 16, 2018, 03:02:43 PM
NJ Tpke You Have Left

Except for the all-caps "N.J. TURNPIKE" line, the capitalization is straight outta Britain.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

NJ Tpke You Have Left

I believe most exits still have this signage.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2018, 10:07:23 PM
NJ Tpke You Have Left

5, 9, 11, 16W definitely have the original button copy ones. Same for the one you mentioned on the ramp to 46.
2, 4, 7, 7A, 8A, 13, 13A, 14, 15W have newer versions of the sign on reflective materials.
3, 4, 8, 10, and 17 don't appear to have one.
1, 6, 16E/18E, 18W are freeway connections that continue on and do not have them as most of the roadways are under Turnpike Authority control beyond the toll plazas.
15X opened in the mid-aughts so it only has had a reflective sign.
12 was rebuilt earlier in this decade, so it has new signs.
I could not easily tell about 15E

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 16, 2018, 02:05:01 PM

Signs for the Eastern Spur/Western Spur splits, some of the NB signage for I-80/US 46, signage for the splits between the cars only roadway and the cars/trucks/buses roadway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8312645,-74.0227636,3a,75y,61.23h,96.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYCWaVqIP1fMsn7Ibg-eWAw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on August 17, 2018, 12:21:54 AM
NJ Tpke You Have Left

3, 4, 8, 10, and 17 don't appear to have one.

Exit 3's signage is leaning against a guardrail, at least in the GSV. It came down around the same time the phone booths were removed (which were located where the opening in the guardrail is located).
https://goo.gl/maps/wwAkc62yJAN2

I want to guess Exit 4's sign is missing, and these wooden signposts were holding the sign: https://goo.gl/maps/UqxD3PWkohp

MikeCL

NJ Tpke You Have Left

Correct I'm still new to NJ but the exit for where the Samsung HQ is I saw that sign I was going to take a picture but it's was in the middle of a curve but yes it's still standing.

Did anyone see this video?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6110313/Dramatic-moment-road-rage-attack-leads-tractor-trailer-flipping-New-Jersey-highway.html?ito=video_player_click#comments

J Route Z

Quote from: MikeCL on August 31, 2018, 07:48:49 PM
NJ Tpke You Have Left

Correct I'm still new to NJ but the exit for where the Samsung HQ is I saw that sign I was going to take a picture but it's was in the middle of a curve but yes it's still standing.

Did anyone see this video?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6110313/Dramatic-moment-road-rage-attack-leads-tractor-trailer-flipping-New-Jersey-highway.html?ito=video_player_click#comments

Yes that was a terrible incident that should have been avoided. However it did not occur on the turnpike.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: storm2k on August 17, 2018, 12:21:54 AM
1, 6, 16E/18E, 18W are freeway connections that continue on and do not have them as most of the roadways are under Turnpike Authority control beyond the toll plazas.

There was one on the southbound side of the Turnpike south of the (old) Exit 1 mainline toll barrier, which was located south of the one in use now with the lighthouse.  I think it went away when toll collection operations moved to the new barrier and the old one was demolished. 

There was also a sign for the Delaware Turnpike (I think it said to follow I-295 south), the only one  like it in New Jersey, but now also gone.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

It was follow "(shield)" to Delaware Turnpike.  Delaware had one on NB I-95 before the 295 split only with a NJT trailblazer  saying Follow "NJ Turnpike Shield" to NJ Turnpike.

Also there were CBBT shields along the NJ Turnpike SB south of Exit 2 stating to use US 13 south beneath the shield in a triangle.  Do not know if they are still around and who actually designed them either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 05, 2018, 06:31:50 PM
It was follow "(shield)" to Delaware Turnpike.  Delaware had one on NB I-95 before the 295 split only with a NJT trailblazer  saying Follow "NJ Turnpike Shield" to NJ Turnpike.

Also there were CBBT shields along the NJ Turnpike SB south of Exit 2 stating to use US 13 south beneath the shield in a triangle.  Do not know if they are still around and who actually designed them either.

jeffandnicole

I want to say there was a single CBBT on the Turnpike South.  Hasn't been there for quite a number of years now. 

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 07, 2018, 02:19:54 PM

I want to say there was a single CBBT on the Turnpike South.  Hasn't been there for quite a number of years now. 
That is the one I just posted.

RobbieL2415

Turnpike Authority probably got some kind of complaint from vacationers saying they couldn't find how to get to VA Beach so they put up a trailblazer to say "Beach carz go dis wayyy."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2018, 07:58:50 PM

Correct. I was trying to hint it wasn't plural, as roadman65 indicated.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2018, 11:49:55 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2018, 07:58:50 PM

Correct. I was trying to hint it wasn't plural, as roadman65 indicated.
It may have been plural at some point. I only photographed the one with the triangle below, but I remember there being another one without the triangle. All gone now to my knowledge. There could have been others the farther back you go.

storm2k

The project to replace the first service area under the agreement the Turnpike Authority signed with HMS Host last year has begun.

ADVISORY: Thomas Edison Service Area on the New Jersey Turnpike to close for construction

QuoteThe existing structure will be demolished and a new one built in its place under agreements announced last year with service area contractors HMS Host and Sunoco. The work is being done at no cost to taxpayers or toll payers.

QuotePlans call for the new Thomas Edison facility to include Burger King, Chick-fil-A, Pret, Starbucks, Auntie Anne's, Z Mart, and a Sunoco convenience store.

Haven't seen any plans for the new area, but I'm assuming it will be similar to it's mate across the road, the Grover Cleveland Service Area.

Also interesting that they're tearing the whole structure down, rather than just gutting and renovating it. All of the service areas on the Turnpike were rebuilt in the late 90s/early 2000s, so I would assume the structure itself would still be in good shape. They had to tear down the Grover Cleveland one due to the damage it sustained from Hurricane Sandy, but Edison did OK.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: storm2k on September 10, 2018, 10:47:16 AM
The project to replace the first service area under the agreement the Turnpike Authority signed with HMS Host last year has begun.

ADVISORY: Thomas Edison Service Area on the New Jersey Turnpike to close for construction

QuoteThe existing structure will be demolished and a new one built in its place under agreements announced last year with service area contractors HMS Host and Sunoco. The work is being done at no cost to taxpayers or toll payers.

QuotePlans call for the new Thomas Edison facility to include Burger King, Chick-fil-A, Pret, Starbucks, Auntie Anne's, Z Mart, and a Sunoco convenience store.

Haven't seen any plans for the new area, but I'm assuming it will be similar to it's mate across the road, the Grover Cleveland Service Area.

Also interesting that they're tearing the whole structure down, rather than just gutting and renovating it. All of the service areas on the Turnpike were rebuilt in the late 90s/early 2000s, so I would assume the structure itself would still be in good shape. They had to tear down the Grover Cleveland one due to the damage it sustained from Hurricane Sandy, but Edison did OK.
That service area always seems mobbed - unlike the newly replaced Grover Cleveland noted above across the highway.  That's going to be a problem, and will probably put a much heavier load on the Parkway's nearby Cheesequake plaza which I usually prefer to stop at.  While dated, these plazas (like the Monmouth rest area on the Parkway also being replaced) function just fine as-is.  I always thought it odd at the Edison that they have the rest stop convenience store immediately adjacent to the gas station's convenience store just a couple of steps down along the hall (which was usually less crowded anyway as it was not obvious from the inside).

Also, there is now a Wawa located right near the Turnpike/Parkway interchange.  If you know what you are doing with the ramps, you can hop off and get to and from the Wawa pretty quickly.

AMLNet49

So no Nathan's in the new service areas? I always get those wedge French fries with the little red fork and all the toppings when I drive through New Jersey, I'm gonna miss that tradition.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.